Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-31-2014, 03:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLY View Post
I would really love the new album to open up with a Christine McVie track with some great harmonizing with Lindsey and Stevie. Love in Store comes to mind. I love that track as an opener. Never take your love away.........Great tune!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilsrain View Post
Yes! That song is severely underrated and really makes you feel like it's a cohesive band and not a couple solo projects with the same drummer and bassist lol.
I'd never really thought about it before, but most post '75 Mac albums had Lindsey openers: White Album, Rumours, Tango, Say You Will. None of them had much Mac harmony, either. I love the idea of a Chris opener. It would be a wonderful way to mark her return, and the return of the full classic Mac lineup.
Old 01-31-2014, 03:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
I'd never really thought about it before, but most post '75 Mac albums had Lindsey openers: White Album, Rumours, Tango, Say You Will. None of them had much Mac harmony, either. I love the idea of a Chris opener. It would be a wonderful way to mark her return, and the return of the full classic Mac lineup.
like Tusk?

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 01-31-2014, 04:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
like Tusk?
Blechhhhh! "Over & Over" was the WORST choice for an opener. Even "Honey Hi" would've been a massive improvement.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:14 PM
Ledgie

Regarding Thrown Down, I prefer the SYW version. In Destiny Rules, the demo Stevie is playing when discussing vocal parts has those awesome falsetto answer parts. Thrown down (thrown down) Like a barricade (like a barricade). I wish they'd gone with Stevie's vocal arrangement, to flesh out the chorus.

Also, I wish the "la la la" from her Say You Will demo was used in the final version between chorus and verse. It's a catchy little extra hook that would have given the song a bit more room to breathe. About three less repeats of the chorus at the end, while I'm improving the song.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
Me too. Although that earlier version has something the SYWversion lacks and vice versa. But it is bull to state that he ruïned the song, in my world.
You're one of the reasons I don't post here much anymore... because you always say what I'm thinking anyway, making me redundant
The SYW version has a better arrangement but the WoS version has a better Lindsey vocal performance IMO. Combine them and it'd be perfect.

I'm excited about the prospect of a new album. I want Lindsey to have at least one song that's just a rocker with Mick and John somewhere. It can either be a Murrow/ISA-type brooding guitar track or it can be a madcap uptempo thing like Gift of Screws. Maybe one of each
Old 01-31-2014, 07:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peestie View Post
...or it can be a madcap uptempo thing like Gift of Screws.
I'd love THAT!!! Actually, kind of hoping that "Gift Of Screws" would've made the final SYW track list.

Which is kind of what I did for my iPod SYW tracklist...swap out other Lindsey tunes in place of the ones I didn't care for. (ditto with a leftover TISL tune from Stevie) Made the album a little more commercial sounding without losing Lindsey's quirkiness.

Disc 1:
Say You Will
Bleed To Love Her
Destiny Rules
She Smiled Sweetly
Smile At You
Try For The Sun
Thrown Down
Steal Your Heart Away
Not Make Believe

Disc 2:
Gift Of Screws
Touched By An Angel
What's The World Coming To
Illume
Murrow Turning Over In His Grave
Everybody Finds Out
The Right Place To Fade
Goodbye Baby
Down On Rodeo
Old 01-31-2014, 08:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
You're one of the reasons I don't post here much anymore... because you always say what I'm thinking anyway, making me redundant
The SYW version has a better arrangement but the WoS version has a better Lindsey vocal performance IMO. Combine them and it'd be perfect.

I'm excited about the prospect of a new album. I want Lindsey to have at least one song that's just a rocker with Mick and John somewhere. It can either be a Murrow/ISA-type brooding guitar track or it can be a madcap uptempo thing like Gift of Screws. Maybe one of each
I'd like the same from Stevie with a rocker like Fall From Grace, Ghosts Are Gone or Wide Sargasso Sea with LB playing a Fender or Gibson...Lets throw in a fast song as well like "In Your Dreams"...
Old 01-31-2014, 09:49 PM
Senior Ledgie

What about the album's producer? Any speculation?

As much as I adore Lindsey, I think someone else needs to produce it this time around. I loved Lindsey's production on Tusk for it being so raw and forward thinking, but over the last 10-15 years his songs are sounding way too over-produced for my liking. It's really hard on my ears (and sounds cheesy too). The raw playing of each of these phenomenal musicians should be showcased. God forbid we get another "Without You"...

The Mac with some fresh production would be fantastic! I'm excited for this album!

(felt left out for not having an Avatar for 8 years... fixed!)
Old 01-31-2014, 09:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetwoodguy79 View Post
What about the album's producer? Any speculation?

As much as I adore Lindsey, I think someone else needs to produce it this time around. I loved Lindsey's production on Tusk for it being so raw and forward thinking, but over the last 10-15 years his songs are sounding way too over-produced for my liking. It's really hard on my ears (and sounds cheesy too). The raw playing of each of these phenomenal musicians should be showcased. God forbid we get another "Without You"...

The Mac with some fresh production would be fantastic! I'm excited for this album!

(felt left out for not having an Avatar for 8 years... fixed!)
"Without You" sounds pretty raw to me, certainly not "overproduced," whatever that means.
Old 02-01-2014, 02:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
Blechhhhh! "Over & Over" was the WORST choice for an opener. Even "Honey Hi" would've been a massive improvement.
Think About Me would have been a great opener. Though Tusk was meant to have an incongruous sound and feel (right?) so using a ballad as an opener works in that sense.

Anyway -
When I read that during their last show, the band announced plans to tour in the summer of 2014, occasionally I would pretend that they meant Australian/New Zealand summer and that they would come play here in February/March. The Australian leg of the Say You Will Tour was in February 2004. Knew that there was zero chance of them making up their cancelled dates that soon, but it's nice to pretend sometimes.

Lots of Ledgies appear to be of the opinion that Say You Will is sub-par, I don't know how it was received at the time of its release. [Correct me if I'm wrong] It's not uncommon for people to say in retrospect that the Say You Will and Unleashed tours (especially the 2009 tour) were sub-standard, but at the time people actually had fun at the shows and enjoyed the music. Maybe part of why Fleetwood Mac's latest efforts seem poorer than their earlier work is just the tendency to overanalyse them as the years go by with no new Mac release to keep fans engaged.

I don't mind if Lindsey produces the next album. Maybe they could bring in a co-producer from one of their earlier albums to act as a mediator. Would be great to see them all in the studio together at the same time and bringing fresh songs to the table (Lord knows Stevie's reverse burglar has revealed far too many of her demos to the world already - with vocals far superior to what SN is capable of today). I remember someone writing on this board that a Stevie/Christine collaboration would be very interesting - I'd like to hear that too. Maybe Stevie and Lindsey could even co-write a song together (yeah right) or perform an original duet. I think take full advantage of all Christine's new songs and have her keyboards (some accordion playing would be awesome actually) and vocal interplay with Stevie and Lindsey as an integral part to other songs on the album. There's another thread here about the tempo of more recent recordings being a touch too slow - that could be improved, definitely.

Really hope the Mac come to Australia with Christine too!

Last edited by secret love; 02-01-2014 at 02:26 AM..
Old 02-01-2014, 10:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetwoodguy79 View Post
I'm happy with Lindsey producing it but I'd like them to get in an engineer with golden ears. The one thing I feel is lacking from Lindsey's more recent solo recordings is the audio fidelity that was on his earliest albums. It works for the aesthetic he goes for on his solo albums but I don't think it would work for the Mac. And I think it's more to do with engineering than production.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:20 PM

Quote:
I'm happy with Lindsey producing it but I'd like them to get in an engineer with golden ears. The one thing I feel is lacking from Lindsey's more recent solo recordings is the audio fidelity that was on his earliest albums. It works for the aesthetic he goes for on his solo albums but I don't think it would work for the Mac. And I think it's more to do with engineering than production.
I agree with this 100%!!! He is a genius, but you can't do it all sometimes. It's hard to step back when your are so engrossed with writing, singing, playing, recording, producing, mastering etc.

This is where Ken and Richard excelled.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
http://www.mauinews.com/page/content...al-Reggae.html

Mauui News 1/23/2014

The Green raises the bar for Local Reggae
BY JON WOODHOUSE

Chatting after performing at Willie K's BBQ Blues Festival, Mick Fleetwood confirmed the rumor that Christine McVie will rejoin Fleetwood Mac. Already composing new songs, McVie will begin recording with most of the band members in March. Mick indicated that Christine's rapturously received appearance with the Fleetwood Blues Band in the Castle Theater early last year opened the door for her return. The Mac will head out on the road again in the fall. No word yet if Hawaii is on the radar for shows.
regurgitation of the same news published in Guardian (shared by fmfanuk site http://fleetwoodmac-uk.com/wp/fleetw...gin-recording/)

Fleetwood Mac ready to begin recording?
Posted on January 28, 2014 by fmfanuk
Sean Michaels
theguardian.com, Tuesday 28 January 2014 14.05 GMT

Newly reunited with Christine McVie, the group are already composing new songs according to a report in Maui News

Fleetwood Mac‘s classic line-up is reportedly set to begin recording together for the first time in 27 years. Newly reunited with Christine McVie, Mick Fleetwood, Lindsey Buckingham, Stevie Nicks and John McVie are purportedly working on a new album.
Don't stop … Christine McVie's songs often bristled with optimism, at least on the surface. Photograph: REX

Don’t stop … Christine McVie’s songs often bristled with optimism, at least on the surface. Photograph: REX

Word of the studio reunion emerged through a tiny item in Maui News (via Stereogum), following Mick Fleetwood’s 11 January gig at a small festival in Wailuku, Hawaii. “Chatting after performing at Willie K’s BBQ Blues Festival, Mick Fleetwood confirmed the rumour that Christine McVie will rejoin Fleetwood Mac,” wrote columnist Jon Woodhouse. “Already composing new songs, McVie will begin recording with most of the band members in March … [and] the Mac will head out on the road again in the fall.”

Although the return of Christine McVie has been corroborated elsewhere, this is the first indication that Fleetwood Mac are making a record together. When the group last convened for an album, 2003′s Say You Will, Christine McVie didn’t write any songs. Her only contributions were borrowed from aborted sessions for a Lindsey Buckingham solo album.

When asked about a new album, last September, Lindsey Buckingham said the decision was up to Stevie Nicks. “Stevie needs to come to the table with some material,” he said. “She has to want to do it … [And] she’s probably thinking, ‘If I have to write five new songs, do I want to give them to Fleetwood Mac?’”

Buckingham was part of Sunday night’s Grammys gala, performing in a closing jam with Trent Reznor, Dave Grohl and Josh Homme. Due to time restrictions, producers cut to a commercial before the performance was finished. “Music’s biggest night… to be disrespected,” Reznor tweeted. “A heartfelt FU*K YOU guys.”

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 02-08-2014, 12:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Nothing new here it's just a rework of the Maui news piece...The interesting thing is that when Mick put it out there that CM was returning to FM Liz was quick with a confirmation but with Mick's "recording in March & tour in the fall" statement everyone else seems to be avoiding it...Stevie & Lindsey both were in the position to say something at the Grammys and Stevie is interviewed regularly...You would think that since Mick has put it out there Lindsey would mention recording and Stevie even if she isn't thrilled about recording would at least mention some new FM shows...
Old 02-08-2014, 01:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDenimLamp View Post
Nothing new here it's just a rework of the Maui news piece...The interesting thing is that when Mick put it out there that CM was returning to FM Liz was quick with a confirmation but with Mick's "recording in March & tour in the fall" statement everyone else seems to be avoiding it...Stevie & Lindsey both were in the position to say something at the Grammys and Stevie is interviewed regularly...You would think that since Mick has put it out there Lindsey would mention recording and Stevie even if she isn't thrilled about recording would at least mention some new FM shows...
Lindsey was not interviewed at the grammys - he didn't walk the red carpet, he just performed and was seen in the audience several times.

also, with being burned so many times since Unleashed and being on the record that he wants new FM album, maybe he'd avoid saying much more. he did say in that radio interview that with Christine possibly coming back that opens up some great new possibilities, about which he doesn't want to say anything more so not to jinx it.