Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-30-2005, 08:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Well then why don't you ('you' being anyone who is denouncing the rest of us trying to get our hands on it) ring up LB's management and get the to cancel the ebay sale? It's easy to preach, but perhaps taking that action would be the most moral thing to do here?

Last edited by DownOnRodeo; 04-30-2005 at 08:36 PM..
Old 04-30-2005, 08:47 PM
Lux
This message has been deleted by Lux.
Old 04-30-2005, 09:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

well the auction is over....

The seller ended this listing early because of an error in the minimum bid or Reserve amount.
Old 04-30-2005, 09:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation Wow

Didn't think this thread would go like this. LOL Wonder what's gonna happen with it now.
Old 04-30-2005, 09:15 PM
Lux
Old 04-30-2005, 09:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Oh, didn't see the bit earlier in the thread to say that the management had already been contacted. I'm happy enough with the sale being pulled - the idea of random somebody getting all that money for it, and good fans having to pay them, irks me . If it turns up on some fan site for download during the ten years between now and when it's officially released (if ever), then download I shall.
Old 04-30-2005, 10:00 PM
Lux
Old 05-01-2005, 01:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux
I don't want to unnecessarily cause a debate but I did want to ask you, does it not "irk" that Lindsey did not want this to occur more than it irks to see fans having to pay? I don't think the issue was people having to spend their money on his work, the issue was his right to not have his property being sold without permission.
Seriously, what makes you think I would care any less about his personal preferences than you do? You know he's my 'hero' as it were. I think that he is just that to everyone here in this thread, to some extent, so it just seems redundant for each of us to mention that we wouldn't go against his express disapproval.

And beyond that obvious point, the idea of some random ripping off his work to get money from his small but loyal legion of obsessed fans is very irksome to me.

Last edited by DownOnRodeo; 05-01-2005 at 01:18 AM.. Reason: because I can't spelle
Old 05-01-2005, 01:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

OMG I just realised the irony...

..this thread should be retitled: IS THIS RIGHT?

Old 05-01-2005, 02:13 AM
Lux
Old 05-01-2005, 06:29 AM
trackaghost
This message has been deleted by trackaghost.
Old 05-01-2005, 06:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default auction...

I am not sure if you realize Lux..but if the seller chose to stop the auction early..which apparently he did, that does not mean that it was pulled! When auctions are ended by ebay for copywrite violations..they simply disappear from ebay and the people who have placed bids on the auction recieve an email stating that the auction has been ended due to Vero violations. When you can still see the auction but there is a message from the seller that he chose to stop this auction to perhaps relist...ebay did not stop it! Therefore this auction was not stopped because Lindsey's management requested it. WB is very active in keeping up with ebay. Back when SYW was going on they were diligent in having illegally recorded dvd or vhs copies of any SYW show removed. With that in mind, if Lindsey was so concerned about this one new song getting out..he DOES have the power to contact ebay and inform that someone is selling his intellectual property. I am not sure why you keep implying that you KNOW for sure that Lindsey is upset about this auction. Are you just assuming that because you know he was upset about the release of his ENTIRE GoS album? This is one song, not ten years worth of work. Do you know for certain that he is upset about this particular cd? Or did you contact East End and someone there tell you they would look into it, it is a matter that concerns them? That would seem a logical response to a fan reporting a copywrite violation.

I agree, Trackaghost...this cd will make its way out shortly. The seller will either relist or sell it privately. If not, there are obviously more copies of this cd around. Eventually, like alot of this stuff, it makes its way out.

Does anyone else think it is possible that some of the time...certainly not all of the time, (whole GoS)..this stuff could be leaked intentionally? When Thrown Down came out...I just felt like it was something done intentionally to see the fans reaction. I could be way off base but that was the feeling I had at the time.

"She has an exquisite femininity"......Lindsey
Old 05-01-2005, 08:05 AM
Lux
Old 05-01-2005, 09:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly
I am not sure if you realize Lux..but if the seller chose to stop the auction early..which apparently he did, that does not mean that it was pulled! When auctions are ended by ebay for copywrite violations..they simply disappear from ebay and the people who have placed bids on the auction recieve an email stating that the auction has been ended due to Vero violations. When you can still see the auction but there is a message from the seller that he chose to stop this auction to perhaps relist...ebay did not stop it! Therefore this auction was not stopped because Lindsey's management requested it. WB is very active in keeping up with ebay. Back when SYW was going on they were diligent in having illegally recorded dvd or vhs copies of any SYW show removed. With that in mind, if Lindsey was so concerned about this one new song getting out..he DOES have the power to contact ebay and inform that someone is selling his intellectual property. I am not sure why you keep implying that you KNOW for sure that Lindsey is upset about this auction. Are you just assuming that because you know he was upset about the release of his ENTIRE GoS album? This is one song, not ten years worth of work. Do you know for certain that he is upset about this particular cd? Or did you contact East End and someone there tell you they would look into it, it is a matter that concerns them? That would seem a logical response to a fan reporting a copywrite violation.

I agree, Trackaghost...this cd will make its way out shortly. The seller will either relist or sell it privately. If not, there are obviously more copies of this cd around. Eventually, like alot of this stuff, it makes its way out.

Does anyone else think it is possible that some of the time...certainly not all of the time, (whole GoS)..this stuff could be leaked intentionally? When Thrown Down came out...I just felt like it was something done intentionally to see the fans reaction. I could be way off base but that was the feeling I had at the time.
I agree with all of what you just said, Kelly. Well put!
Old 05-01-2005, 11:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux
I don't think the issue was people having to spend their money on his work, the issue was his right to not have his property being sold without permission.
Fleetwood fans have considered that issue for decades. You're not the first to raise it & you won't be the last. The fact of the matter is that it bothers some fans & not others.

That nut Ginny used to tell Stevie Nicks fans in letters & e-mail that her "boss" was always extremely upset (Ginny often made it sound as if Stevie were practically hysterical about it) about her unreleased material being quieted away from her somehow, time & time again, & sold or otherwise leaked to the public. That hasn't stopped most Stevie fans from amassing huge collections of demos & unreleased studio tracks & unreleased videos & other memorabilia that does still in legal fact belong to Stevie. Legally -- & even ethically -- it's all wrong. But what should we all do? apply bloody self-scourges in the back room? use whips with barbs on them?

As I said earlier, it is copyright infringement. There's no getting around it. So what are your faults, Lux -- or don't you have any?

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 05-01-2005, 11:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly
Does anyone else think it is possible that some of the time...certainly not all of the time, (whole GoS)..this stuff could be leaked intentionally?
As far as the members of FM are concerned, I seriously doubt it, myself. In fact, in numerous specific cases from around 1978 to the present, I know it not to be true.
Old 05-01-2005, 02:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliP
I know that the person who first distributed the cassette which later became known as the Village Recorder demos was a friend of Cheri Caspari. Once she realized how huge the demand was for these demos, she began to sell them on ebay. I don't know if she was the only one who sold them, but I do know that she was one of them.
I guess I will further appall certain people and admit I was the one who purchased the rough Village Recorder demos from the friend of Cheri Caspari (not the finished ones that were put up on SaraRhiannon's site) and then put them up for download. I feel like it's unfair to be criticized by people who took advantage of the download and get pleasure from listening to the songs, but perhaps that's just me.

Old 05-01-2005, 02:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts
I feel like it's unfair to be criticized by people who took advantage of the download and get pleasure from listening to the songs, but perhaps that's just me.
And we've hit the nail on the head here. It's more than a little hypocritical for one to complain and then turn around, download them and then rave about them on a message board and hold open discussions on "Favorite Demos" etc.

Even if you aren't the person who initially purchases the demos that eventually become available to fans for free to download, aren't you equally as wrong to be downloading them for free and listening to them? I just think trying to take the moral high road by saying purchasing is more of a crime than downloading them once they're out there is ridiculous. No one is better than anyone else, IMO.
Old 05-01-2005, 03:14 PM
Lux
Old 05-01-2005, 03:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

What you don't seem to understand is that EVERYONE has listened to his demos (that chose to do so) so regardless of whether or not they were purchased privately, they were offered to his fanbase. You didn't have to pay for them but you have them (whether or not you were in the postion to have them is irrelevant). You listened! It doesn't make you any more moral than anyone else! If you feel so strongly, then last month or whenever you first heard GOS, you could have said "no thanks," or will you be sending Lindsey a check in the mail?

We're beating a dead horse here.
Old 05-01-2005, 03:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux
Do you mean through private sale?

They're good songs, I don't see what that has to do with it though. We shouldn't have been in the position to ever hear them. You don't agree obviously. It would be easier to agree to disagree if you hadn't just said you purchased that last demos.
Yes, I did. Privately. And you know what's funny? I actually thought I was going a good thing, because by offering it for download (using my own funds for the purchase and the bandwidth) was decreasing profiteering. It is true we disagree. It would be easier to disagree with you if you hadn't just said that you are one of the people who take advantage of these downloads. You act affronted and refuse to see the hypocrisy of that, I guess because it would force you to relinquish your pretense of moral superiority.

Last edited by sodascouts; 05-01-2005 at 03:21 PM..
Old 05-01-2005, 03:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts
I guess I will further appall certain people and admit I was the one who purchased the rough Village Recorder demos from the friend of Cheri Caspari (not the finished ones that were put up on SaraRhiannon's site) and then put them up for download. I feel like it's unfair to be criticized by people who took advantage of the download and get pleasure from listening to the songs, but perhaps that's just me.

I'm not appalled at all. I think that was very generous of you. I actually slipped right in there and got the demo for free (beside paying for the cost of the tape and shipping) before she realized how huge the demand was for it and put it on ebay.

"Hearts will break with choices we must
make, so sleep and dream of me."
- LB