The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-09-2004, 10:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation Tusk is coming out on DVD Audio, LB's next solo album, etc.

Saw this link on Burnish - thanks, Tracy!!

Rocky Mountain News
Old 07-09-2004, 10:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Am I the only one who interpreted this interview as him saying that a new FM album will probably never happen?

Someone please tell me I'm wrong!

Quote:
Sunday's show will probably be the last around here for a long time, maybe the last ever.

"Without another album, I think this is as much touring as the band should be doing. We're probably bordering on it right now. . . . it starts to look like you're really just going out for the money, and indeed there are many people around the Fleetwood Mac situation who value that far, far, far and away above anything else," he says. "Once this is done, unless the band would somehow miraculously want to get in the studio sometime in late fall, I don't think it would be a good idea to contemplate touring next summer."

Besides, he says, he has his own album to do.

Last edited by Merf; 07-09-2004 at 10:42 AM..
Old 07-09-2004, 11:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I think what he means is it would be pointless to tour next summer, without a new album to promote - and it's unlikely that they'll go into the studio this fall, and have an album completed in time to release in the spring.
Old 07-09-2004, 11:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merf
Am I the only one who interpreted this interview as him saying that a new FM album will probably never happen?

I think some of this was the reporters words:

Sunday's show will probably be the last around here for a long time, maybe the last ever.

Lindsey didn't say that the reporter did. I think Lindsey feels if they don't go back into the studio this fall there's no sense in them touring next year, that doesn't mean he's closed off to them doing another FM project down the road. If they don't go back this fall and Lindsey does get some solo things out there, we're probably looking at a longer wait for a new FM cd and tour.

That's my interpretation of it. Of course there could be things he said to the reporter that didn't make it into the article and that might paint a gloomier picture and account for the reporter using the word ever
Old 07-09-2004, 12:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

And then again, he opens all doors again with the last sentence.

I read something else in here: managers are pushing to extend the tour and not go for a a money-sucking studio-album now. And hey! Surprise: Our man does NOT think that's a good idea and the man uses the media to slip that out.... so I read bandpolitics again....

Old 07-09-2004, 12:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merf

Who knows how recent this interivew even was? It says he was in his home studio. As far as the not touring thing, I suspect that may have been done to pump up the show, as it didn't originally sell all that well here. I wonder if House Of Blues papered this show?
Old 07-09-2004, 12:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn
Who knows how recent this interivew even was? It says he was in his home studio.
He was just home on 6/18 for almost a week so it could have been very recent. It seems to mirror an interview from a few weeks ago.
Old 07-09-2004, 01:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

To be honest, at this point, I just want a new Lindsey album. If that means there isn't another Mac album for ten years, so be it.

Old 07-09-2004, 02:54 PM
Ledgie

I'm disappointed to read that Lindsey isn't thinking in terms of Fleetwood Mac for his new material... I thought he had pretty much concluded that there wasn't enough of an audience for his solo work and his songs were best heard in the context of the band.

Not to put to fine a point on it, but Fleetwood Mac are getting old. They can't afford to wait another 5 or 6 years to make another record.
Old 07-12-2004, 03:03 PM
Senior Ledgie

From the article:

"Such revisions of the back catalog are difficult because "we are not a group that gets in a room and sits and hangs out," he says. "There's a kind of an all-over-town, managers-talking-to-managers aspect, which has its downside."

Does "group" refer to the band, or to other entities that have ownership or an interest in the back catalog? If he's referring to the band, is it because they can't made these kind of decisions on their own (i.e., managers have to be involved) or because these five people can't communicated without intermediaries? Also, if he's referring to the band it seems sad to me that they don't "hang out" together!
Old 07-12-2004, 05:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Girl
From the article:

"Such revisions of the back catalog are difficult because "we are not a group that gets in a room and sits and hangs out," he says. "There's a kind of an all-over-town, managers-talking-to-managers aspect, which has its downside."

Does "group" refer to the band, or to other entities that have ownership or an interest in the back catalog? If he's referring to the band, is it because they can't made these kind of decisions on their own (i.e., managers have to be involved) or because these five people can't communicated without intermediaries?
I think that's exactly what he means because he has expressed this view numerous times since the "Gang of Four" began.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 07-13-2004, 02:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default The rest of the interview

Thanks to Mark Brown for the rest of his interview with Lindsey!

In no particular order, here's some stuff from my Lindsey Buckingham interview that didn't make it into the paper (or expanded versions of what made it).

He was calling from his new studio in his house - he built a new house on the same lot he has lived on for 29 years.

On the new Live in Boston DVD:

"It's something I'm extremely proud of. The only real thing we have documenting our playing in any extensive form was The Dance, and that was a slick, more TV-esque thing. There's something about the way the band is now. We're rocking a lot more. It's really something I'm happy to have for posterity. It's a very impressive thing."

The upcoming solo Soundstage appearance:

"The other thing that I did was just a normal Soundstage show in his normal studio setting. Stevie came on for two songs. Special guest."

Solo album:

"I am actually planning on putting out a solo album when we get done with this leg of the tour. I'll probably spend a couple of months working on some new songs again. I have tons of new material now. I hadn't written anything in about three years. Suddenly about 8 months ago it started to flood in."

He'd stopped writing because "there was very little reason for me to have the energy or desire to write while we were working on Say You Will. I was slogging away on a daily basis on Stevie's material in a house. My process was such that my time was being used up in a different way. It was only when we kinda got all that past us and saw that it was going well and we'd been on the road a while that I felt like there was nothing in front of me I needed to deal with. At that point I started to write again."

Inspiration "comes and it goes. I wondered for a long time when I hadn't written in a while .... I wondered if I had dried up and if I'd ever have another idea. Suddenly it all floated in, so it's reassuring. It's so tied to the process of recording."

"I imagine it's like a painter who's on a roll, who can't wait to get out and start slapping the cans of paint down."

He'd considered doing a version of Trouble with FM on this tour. I suggested You Do Or You Don't might be a better fit. He got enthused and said "Interesting. You've just given me an idea." Obviously, neither song ever made the setlist.

Reissues:

Which is the definitive Rumours?

"Oh God. You have to go with the original, don't you?

"I'm torn there. On one hand, you have to assume the album, the way it was made, in that time, in that moment, in that context, there's a reason you put it out the way you did. If there's a song like Never Going Back that has brushes on it, there was obviously a reason you didn't put the brushes on."

He added the bonus tracks because "it's extra information that's worthy of being heard and may fill out the picture of the process, but it doesn't necessarily dignify the decisions that were ultimately made."

Being someone who thinks of sound in terms of images it's almost like shopping paint on a canvas. I'm enamored with the spaciality of whatever the word is of being able to take something that was locked into stereo imaging and have it thrown all over. You're inside the construction of it. My wish would be that had been the state of the art at that time."

"On Tusk I've not even heard the 5.1 mix (yet). Ken did such a fine job on Rumours, somehow I was not able to get down and approve it. Mick went down and said how amazing Tusk sounds in 5.1. Rumors I wouldn't have assumed lent itself to that kind of approach. I have to say ... I was quite taken with how well it came across."

Possible DVD showing the band's history, like Led Zeppelin did last year?

"That's a good question. Mick and I talk about how one of the peculiarities of Fleetwood Mac. We are not a group that gets in a room and sits and hangs out. There's a kind of an all over town, managers talking to managers aspect, which has its downside."

"As successful a group as we've been, Mick would say that we have not taken the elements we have and exploited them. It probably could be done if we were thinking along those liens. That's probably more a product of just the inertia - the stop and start kind of ailment that the band seems to have going."

"We talk about that more and more and how interesting that would be to cull any number of things that have been around for a while ... and see what can be done with them to make an overall picture."

In the meantime there's the documentary on VH1.

"I highly recommend that. It's fascinating."

Solo album again:

"Stevie's tired and wants to take some time off. I'm way more positioned to put out a solo album now."

He plans to take his family on vacation before kindergarten starts at the end of August, then spend two to three months finishing off solo album for release after the first of the year. He wants to tour in the spring.

"If next year's tour comes together, it'll be very minimalist, like the Soundstage recording he did with Stevie this year.

"One of the things fun about doing Soundstage that I did myself was when I did that Coach House show, that was like the embodiment of an idea I'd had for a long time."

Having all those guitars and that orchestration. When I did Soundstage, I tried to go the opposite way and go with as little as I could."

It's guitars with keyboard samples from his work.

"It's a very interesting format. There's no bass. Just a couple of guitars and a percussion guy and the guy with the keyboard. It was kinda like this weird folk group with samples. I hope a lot of people get to see that. If I go out on the road in the spring, that would be the format that I would take out."

Has he ever worried about sounding too much like Fleetwood Mac, too caught up in a signature sound? U2 has worried about that.

"I don't think there's anything wrong with sounding like yourself. I can only assume if U2 said that ... that it was maybe repetitive, too derivative of something they'd already done melodically. People would give their eye teeth to have a style. As long as you can not repeat yourself....even that is ok. I've made a habit of doing that in a humorous way, recycling things in bizarre sorts of ways almost as a joke."

Why recorded Bob Dylan's Love Minus Zero/No Limit for the bonus disc?

"That was just something that I had kinda fooled around with. When we first rented this house to start recording the Say You Will album - and again, almost all of my material had already been cut, there was almost nothing for me to do on my own. It was almost a year of doing Stevie's stuff. We just thought we'd try something that wasn't a Stevie song. I'd been listening to that album for a while and it just struck me how great that tune was,...how tender, now moving the lyric was.. That guy can write."

Recording in the '70s and the impact of drugs:

"There was a spirit of idealism and fun, which there should be. Sometimes to excess. I don't know if you can separate the subculture which was everyone was about those days, not just in the studio but every day existence, and how that played into the lapses of efficiency."
Old 07-13-2004, 02:38 PM

Quote:
"It's a very interesting format. There's no bass. Just a couple of guitars and a percussion guy and the guy with the keyboard. It was kinda like this weird folk group with samples. I hope a lot of people get to see that. If I go out on the road in the spring, that would be the format that I would take out."
If this happens, I am there! I have craved a stripped-down Lindsey for a while now.... hey, now, get your minds out of the gutter!
Old 07-13-2004, 02:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well it certainly DOES sound like he is serious about the solo stuff this go 'round! I agree with Carne that a stripped down version would be incredible and yes, I SO would be there as well. I had to laugh, though....he's going to spend just a couple of months working on new songs???? Methinks otherwise, but I'll remain optimistic.

It did kind of sound like there may be a Fleetwood Mac future as well, with him stating Stevie wanted to take some time off.

Thank you again for contacting Mark and posting the remainder of the interview, Goldie!

Patti
Old 07-13-2004, 02:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thank you for tracking that down and posting it!