User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-21-2004, 02:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Unhappy Jackson Accuser In Poor Health

Jackson Accuser Said to Be in Poor Health
Wed Jan 21, 9:23 AM ET Add Top Stories - AP to My Yahoo!
By TIM MOLLOY, Associated Press Writer

LOS ANGELES - A former attorney for the mother of Michael Jackson (news)'s cancer-stricken accuser said the boy is in very poor health and his family is in seclusion, paying little attention to the high-profile legal fight.

Attorney William Dickerman also said Tuesday that based on what he knows of the evidence, he believes the Santa Barbara County district attorney's office has a strong case.

"Is a D.A. really going to put into gear the machinery of an entire district attorney's office on a case involving such a renowned person without having a stronger basis than he said-she said?" the Los Angeles-based attorney said in a telephone interview Tuesday.

He said there was "plenty of persuasive oral evidence," including findings of molestation by "a very conservative psychologist who is inclined not to find molestation." Asked if there was physical evidence, he replied, "It certainly wouldn't surprise me."

Dickerman offered several details Tuesday about how the allegations against the pop superstar eventually reached prosecutors. However, he declined to answer other questions about the case, saying he was unsure whether he was covered by a gag order ordered Friday by Santa Barbara County Superior Court Judge Rodney Melville.

He said the family was brought to him last year by Jamie Masada, a comedy club owner who introduced Jackson and the boy late in 2002.

Dickerman said the family was concerned about Jackson-related matters that did not involve molestation, but he declined to describe them. The molestation allegations arose later, he said.

Dickerman said he then contacted attorney Larry Feldman, who represented the boy who accused Jackson of molestation in 1993, and that Feldman later took over the case. The boy who made the allegations in 1993 reportedly received a multimillion dollar settlement from Jackson and refused to cooperate with prosecutors.

"Since he'd essentially written the book on civil action with Michael Jackson he would be the one to give more thorough counsel on Michael Jackson," Dickerman said.

Dickerman said both he and Feldman stopped representing the family last fall, when it became apparent Jackson would be criminally charged.

He said the family does not plan to seek money from Jackson, and described himself as a "family friend," not a legal representative.

Feldman did not return a call for comment Tuesday. But a source close to the family had confirmed that Feldman did meet with the boy and his mother, and had the boy see a psychologist.

The psychologist, who had handled celebrity cases before, went to authorities under a legal requirement to report any claims of child molestation.

Jackson was charged last month with seven counts of lewd or lascivious acts with a child under 14 and two counts of giving the child an "intoxicating agent," reportedly wine, between Feb. 7 and March 10, 2003. He has pleaded innocent.

Dickerman added to details about the boy's health from Masada, who said on Thanksgiving that the boy is seriously ill. Dickerman said the boy lost a kidney, his spleen and an adrenal gland in surgery to remove a large tumor.

He declined to say how the boy, his siblings and his mother spend their days. He said he is in touch with the family frequently, and has seen the boy within the last few weeks.

"They're in hiding," he said. "They're very private people."

Also Tuesday, Jackson attorney Mark Geragos and Santa Barbara District Attorney Tom Sneddon submitted proposed additions to the judge's order barring them from speaking about the case. The judge asked for written arguments when he issued the gag order Friday, in response to Geragos' request that he be allowed to respond to false information about his client.

Geragos' proposal asked that attorneys be allowed to respond to statements that would subject a client to "undue prejudice" or "adverse publicity."

Sneddon asked for more restrictive rules, saying attorneys should only be allowed to issue written responses, and only when the basis of a question is false. He also asked that the attorneys on each side confer with each other before releasing responses.

If the boy is in such bad shape, does anyone think that they might bump up the trial date or record his testimony? I would think they would be able to do something of that nature.

Old 01-21-2004, 02:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Jackson Accuser In Poor Health

Historically, they will videotape his deoposition. This is a good thing for the prosecution because historically, children are less intimidated outside of a courtroom setting - there is no audience, no judge, no jury, no courtroom theatrics from the opposing counsel, etc.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 01-21-2004, 03:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Re: Jackson Accuser In Poor Health

Quote:
Originally posted by strandinthewind
Historically, they will videotape his deoposition. This is a good thing for the prosecution because historically, children are less intimidated outside of a courtroom setting - there is no audience, no judge, no jury, no courtroom theatrics from the opposing counsel, etc.
Absolutely! This is much, much better for the prosecution. If the trial commences and the boy is too sick (or worse) and cannot attend, they can admit into evidence any taped deposition.

Well, someday when we're older
And my hair is silver gray
Unbraid with all of the love that you have
Like a soft, silver chain . . .
Old 01-21-2004, 03:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Re: Re: Jackson Accuser In Poor Health

Quote:
Originally posted by Mad4stevie
Absolutely! This is much, much better for the prosecution. If the trial commences and the boy is too sick (or worse) and cannot attend, they can admit into evidence any taped deposition.
And if the boy is quite sick but does attend the trial, it's a blow to the defense because they don't want to look like assholes during cross.

Old 01-21-2004, 03:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Jackson Accuser In Poor Health

Quote:
Originally posted by dissention
And if the boy is quite sick but does attend the trial, it's a blow to the defense because they don't want to look like assholes during cross.
True - but the parents will get it in spades, esp. the ones that have that history of suing.

Old 01-21-2004, 03:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Jackson Accuser In Poor Health

Quote:
Originally posted by strandinthewind
True - but the parents will get it in spades, esp. the ones that have that history of suing.
I don't think it'll hurt the case, actually. I think there's enough evidence to win. Why else would they go to the trouble? It isn't just Sneddon's thing; everyone is supporting the prosecution. Plus, when they haul out *both* accusers (the old one has told the DA that he will cooperate 100%), the old investigators, AND the evidence compiled from the previous case, Jackson is dead.

Old 01-21-2004, 05:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Whether he really was molested by Michael Jackson, or if he really is just being used as pawn by a fortune-seeking mother, my heart goes out to the boy.

No child should ever have to endure these things... and battling cancer on top of it.

And if Michael Jackson really ever truly cared for that child, he shouldn't be up dancing on top of vehicles at his court appearances, acting like some attention-seeking fool. If he really is innocent, he should be greatly concerned about the child's well-being, and not out making a mockery of this situation.

Innocent or guilty, my opinion of him as a person has dropped to a new low.
Old 01-21-2004, 05:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Stew
Whether he really was molested by Michael Jackson, or if he really is just being used as pawn by a fortune-seeking mother, my heart goes out to the boy.

No child should ever have to endure these things... and battling cancer on top of it.

And if Michael Jackson really ever truly cared for that child, he shouldn't be up dancing on top of vehicles at his court appearances, acting like some attention-seeking fool. If he really is innocent, he should be greatly concerned about the child's well-being, and not out making a mockery of this situation.

Innocent or guilty, my opinion of him as a person has dropped to a new low.
Totally agreed.

- Jake
Old 01-21-2004, 09:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Is it just me or are you guys cheering the fact that this boy is going to be so ill he won't be able to testify, just because it will help put MJ away. I personally would rather see the boy live and have Jackson go free then have him die so it helps out the prosecution and hurts the defense. I'm sure that's not what you guys mean but it sure sounds like it.

He Will Burn You Down
Old 01-21-2004, 10:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawkeye
Is it just me or are you guys cheering the fact that this boy is going to be so ill he won't be able to testify, just because it will help put MJ away. I personally would rather see the boy live and have Jackson go free then have him die so it helps out the prosecution and hurts the defense. I'm sure that's not what you guys mean but it sure sounds like it.
No - I was not doing that. Sorry if it came off that way. I was just making an observation based on the case and what will happen if he does die, which it looks like he may do. I hope the boy gets better.

Old 01-22-2004, 10:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Supposedly, the owner of the Comedy Club (the man who introduced the boy to Jacko) has gotten numerous death threats. The police are investigating Jackson's people for it.

Also, it's come out that Jacko's nanny is the one who pushed him into the Nation of Islam.

Old 01-22-2004, 11:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

He needs a kidney transplant. Meanwhile Jacko dances on cars. I have to throw up now.
Old 01-22-2004, 11:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawkeye
No - I did not mean to imply that either.

I am saying from a pure legal standpoint, it will help the case against Jackson if the child isn't forced to testify in the actual courtroom. I am not wishing illness on this child. Of course, I would love to see him get well. I think it is terrible that the child is in such a weakened state.

However, I can totally see why Jackson target these sick children. They simply don't have the strength to fight back and can easily be taken advantage of. Terrible . . .

Well, someday when we're older
And my hair is silver gray
Unbraid with all of the love that you have
Like a soft, silver chain . . .