Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:08 AM
Senior Ledgie

Default Then Play On (remastered)

Today, I received my copy. I comes with a 12 page booklet, written by David Frocke (of Rolling Stone). There are a few nice pictures of vinyl singles.

Both parts of 'Oh well' are in mono and sound just as good as the version on 'The Best of Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac' does.
It's nice to finally hear the original version of 'World in harmony' without scratches!

I haven't compared the sound quality of the remastered songs to the original CD I already had, but during this first-time-listening I think the quality has improved.

There's some expected Fleetwood Mac sloppyness: there aren't any composer credits and some titles are spelled with capitals and some are not (it's 'One Sunny Day' and 'My Dream' but at the same time 'Closing my eyes' and 'Without you').
'Under Way' is spelled this way, like it did on the original LP, my old CD says 'Underway'.

GJK

Last edited by GJK; 08-17-2013 at 05:42 PM.. Reason: I forgot something (missing composer credits)
Old 08-16-2013, 08:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for the report, GJK. According to Amazon, the remastered CD is supposed to be released in the US next Tuesday, and I'm looking forward to it.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Exciting! Thanks for sharing.

I'm looking forward to hearing the other CDs in the early 1970s catalog too. I wonder why they're getting released in Japan first.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

David Fricke likes Then Play On? This helps redeem Rolling Stone a little I suppose.

I will get this eventually, I hope they still have some left later.

My father grew up in Arnhem and we still have family there! They used to send us Pussycat and BZN records...

Last edited by becca; 08-16-2013 at 03:06 PM..
Old 08-16-2013, 04:02 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by becca View Post
My father grew up in Arnhem and we still have family there! They used to send us Pussycat and BZN records...
If he grew up in Arnhem, he probably learned how to swim in the building opposite my apartment.

The lead singer of Pussycat had a great voice but I never cared for BZN...

GJK
Old 08-16-2013, 05:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJK View Post
Today, I received my copy. I comes with a 12 page booklet, written by David Frocke (of Rolling Stone). There are a few nice pictures of vinyl singles.

Both parts of 'Oh well' are in mono and sound just as good as the version on 'The Best of Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac' does.
It's nice to finally hear the original version of 'World in harmony' without scratches!

I haven't compared the sound quality of the remastered songs to the original CD I already had, but during this first-time-listening I think the quality has improved.

There's some expected Fleetwood Mac sloppyness: some titles are spelled with capitals and some are not (it's 'One Sunny Day' and 'My Dream' but also 'Closing my eyes' and 'Without you').
'Under Way' is spelled this way, like it did on the original LP, my old CD says 'Underway'.

GJK
Thanks for that GJK. Hits UK shores on Monday apparently. I'm in London all day so I shall head to HMV Oxford Circus as soon as 16.30 comes around.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJK View Post
If he grew up in Arnhem, he probably learned how to swim in the building opposite my apartment.

The lead singer of Pussycat had a great voice but I never cared for BZN...

GJK
I liked BZN's Rockin' The Trolls for some reason.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksfan2000 View Post
Thanks for the report, GJK. According to Amazon, the remastered CD is supposed to be released in the US next Tuesday, and I'm looking forward to it.
Hopefully they will send them out right on time!

with great anticipation

vinnie
Old 08-18-2013, 03:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksfan2000 View Post
According to Amazon, the remastered CD is supposed to be released in the US next Tuesday...

And currently, it's in their top 100 chart.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The CD arrived in the mail on Tuesday. The sound is great. World in Harmony is quite a treat, wow!

I can't wait to hear how the rest of the CDs in the pre-75 sound. The reissues coming from Warner Japan come in cardboard slipcases. Hopefully there will be an accompanying booklet.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default It arrived yesterday

I am listening to the recording in my studio monitors. The sound is good. They did a good remastering job
Closing my Eyes and Although the Sun is shining are especially good.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Great to read good reports on the CD sound quality! I am thinking I am in for this one for sure now too, though I have to save up for the 2CD edition of Gene Clark's Two Sides as well...
Old 08-22-2013, 11:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Still waiting for my CD to arrive, so I thought I'd ask a question for those of you who have already received yours. Is "Underway" slightly longer than on the earlier CD release? It ran a little bit longer on the original UK vinyl of Then Play On and I always enjoyed those few extra seconds - thought they added something significant to the end of the piece before the fade-out. Hoping that longer version of "Underway" is on the new CD.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Back to the original

Dear Ken,

I remember you asking about my version of the Vinyl and now I know why
I had the earlier version (US) and then in college the vinyl got switched to the version with Oh Well. Underway as shorter. I guess because Oh Well was so long due to the limitations of vinyl.
It is mentioned in the liner notes
the new remaster comes in at 3:04 which is 15 seconds longer than the second US release and the original crappy CD

I love the uncut studio version on "The Vaudville Years. ( October Jam #1 and #2) There you get the studio versions of both Underway and the two madges. Still though the spliced Then Play On versions are what hooked me onto jamming. It was like "The Greatful Dead "only with better players (my apologies to dead fans of which I am also one)

vinnie
Old 08-23-2013, 11:31 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodyhead View Post
Dear Ken,

I remember you asking about my version of the Vinyl and now I know why: I had the earlier version (US) and then in college the vinyl got switched to the version with Oh Well. Underway is shorter; I guess because Oh Well was so long due to the limitations of vinyl.
It is mentioned in the liner notes that the new remaster comes in at 3:04 which is 15 seconds longer than the second US release and the original crappy CD.

I love the uncut studio version on "The Vaudeville Years" ( October Jam #1 and #2). There you get the studio versions of both Underway and the two Madges. Still though the spliced Then Play On versions are what hooked me onto jamming. It was like "The Greatful Dead "only with better players (my apologies to dead fans of which I am also one).

Vinnie
'Underway', now spelled 'Under Way', is indeed a bit longer but ends rather abruptly, in the middle of a drum roll by Mick...

'October Jam #1 & 2' are completely other jams than the Madge jams but maybe I am misunderstanding you.

The dead fans obviously won't bother, but Dead fans might.

GJK

Last edited by GJK; 08-23-2013 at 11:42 AM..