Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Post-Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-15-2003, 02:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default When The Sun Goes Down

I was really surprised to recently discover that during the rehearsals for the Behind The Mask tour, that they played When The Sun Goes Down. I wonder if other songs, such as Skies The Limit or Freedom were also rehearsed. I bet there was a lot of pressure from various sources to keep the set list relatively free of Billy's and Rick's songs. They only played Love Is Dangerous in a few of their shows. Rick got to perform Stand On The Rock (generically unremarkable), and Billy performed In The Back of Your Mind -- but even that song was dropped eventually...not the best song to start a concert with, although I admire their willingness to bring something fresh to their set. Isn't it curious that Stevie was not really represented with any of her Behind The Mask songs in concert? Instead we got Stand Back and Has Anyone Ever Written. eeh!
Old 03-15-2003, 03:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I actually enjoyed "In the back of my mind" as the opener for that tour....I thought it was kind of cool. The Chain is getting stale a the opener (then & now!).
Old 03-15-2003, 04:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I have a Behind The Mask rehearsal CD. Unfortunately, the only songs on the CD are Dreams, Rhiannon, Save Me & When The Sun Goes Down. I LOVE "When The Sun Goes Down", both on the album & on the rehearsal CD. They did very few songs from Behind the Mask live, in addition to "In The Back Of My Mind", "Love Is Dangerous" & "Stand On The Rock", they also did "Save Me" live at some shows. I wish they had done "When The Sun Goes Down" instead of one of the other Rick Vito songs. It's one of my 2 favorite songs from the album.
Old 03-15-2003, 11:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yeah, Goldie...actually it was refreshing for them to open up with In The Back Of Your Mind instead of The Chain. But they didn't do the extended guitar solo at the end -- instead they broke into The Chain! I hope we don't get another redundant set list. Sounds like there is a good chance they'll shake it up a bit. Lindsey did mention somewhere that they are going to a "mid-concert" something or other. "Something we've never done before." That sounds promising. Maybe an acoustic set like Stevie did on her Enchanted tour.
Old 03-16-2003, 12:46 AM
thewhitewingedd
This message has been deleted by thewhitewingedd.
Old 03-16-2003, 01:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by macfan 57
I wish they had done "When The Sun Goes Down" instead of one of the other Rick Vito songs. It's one of my 2 favorite songs from the album.
"Stand On The Rock" was the only Rick Vito song they did. (Rick did three Peter Green tunes, "I Loved Another Woman", "Stop Messin' Round" & "Rattlesnake Shake"...cutting any of those would be sacreligious! Especially since the performances of the first two were the first time they'd been in Fleetwood Mac's set since Peter left the band!! )
Old 03-16-2003, 07:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by chiliD
"Stand On The Rock" was the only Rick Vito song they did. (Rick did three Peter Green tunes, "I Loved Another Woman", "Stop Messin' Round" & "Rattlesnake Shake"...cutting any of those would be sacreligious! Especially since the performances of the first two were the first time they'd been in Fleetwood Mac's set since Peter left the band!! )
I was referring to "Stand On The Rock" & "Love Is Dangerous", which is actually a Stevie/Rick song. I was DEFINITELY NOT referring to the Peter Green songs that Rick did. Those were terrific!!!
Old 03-16-2003, 09:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: When The Sun Goes Down

Quote:
Originally posted by PenguinHead
I was really surprised to recently discover that during the rehearsals for the Behind The Mask tour, that they played When The Sun Goes Down. I wonder if other songs, such as Skies The Limit or Freedom were also rehearsed.
There is a UK music show called 'Rock Steady' that had behind the scenes footage of the 1990 tour lineup's concert for Family and Friends and I believe that Freedom was played at this gig.
**Just checked and it was a recording of a performance in the Studio, not at the gig, sorry**

However there was a recording of Freedom played in Japan.

It's strange that Skies The Limit was not performed live as the music video for this track suggests it was. how strange!!

http://stillgoinginsane.fleetwoodmac-uk.com
Still Going Insane - A Lindsey Buckingham Resource

Last edited by nodmod; 03-16-2003 at 09:55 AM..
Old 03-16-2003, 01:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by macfan 57
I was referring to "Stand On The Rock" & "Love Is Dangerous", which is actually a Stevie/Rick song.
Have you heard his recent solo version of "Love Is Dangerous"??

If FMac had recorded THAT verison, I think it would've been a great single.

Hmmmm, if more ex-members re-record "solo" versions of their Fleetwood Mac songs, we might be able to come up with a full album:

PGSG:
Black Magic Woman
Albatross
Homework
Rattlesnake Shake
Green Manalishi

Bob Welch:
Sentimental Lady
Future Games

Rick Vito:
Love Is Dangerous
I Loved Another Woman (Yeah, it's a PG tune, but for now, let's count it, 'k?)
Old 03-16-2003, 02:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation Well

Just for anyone interested, the "Freedom" on the Japan "Sound gig" show (and all of the other "performances" on that show for that matter were/)was a lip synch.

The clips I have from the "Rock steady" show were live performances of (a piece of) "Save me", (most of) "In the back of my mind", "Landslide", "Stand on the rock", "Go your own way" & (part of) "I loved another woman".

John
Old 03-16-2003, 02:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

John, as usual you beat me to the punch. Yes, Freedom was lip-synced. Very dissapointing. If it isn't in the context of video, it's very strange to see the band do that. It seems that, outside of the US, that they have to do that for TV appearences. Brings to mind a German TV performance of Stevie's Rooms On Fire. However in that case, while there was no band, just canned music and Stevie, Lori and Sharon--at least they sang live to the track. Unfortunately, they didn't sound very good! lol

I have yet to obtain any show in which they perform Love Is Dangerous. Do they do a good job?

Last edited by PenguinHead; 03-16-2003 at 02:27 PM..
Old 03-16-2003, 02:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It is weird, however, that, as you said, they had the pressure of not singing Billy and Rick's written-for-Fleetwood Mac songs (their songs on Behind The Mask) and that Billy had to be known as "they guy who sang Lindsey's parts". Behind The Mask wasn't helped at all by marketing: it's an album that should have had much better luck than it had. The first single was a wrong choice, and so were the subsequents: plus, almost no songs from the album were performed live... Being it a terrific album, I don't see why.

Song of the moment - Sunny Side Of Heaven
Old 03-16-2003, 03:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by PenguinHead
John, as usual you beat me to the punch. Yes, Freedom was lip-synced. Very dissapointing. If it isn't in the context of video, it's very strange to see the band do that. It seems that, outside of the US, that they have to do that for TV appearences. Brings to mind a German TV performance of Stevie's Rooms On Fire. However in that case, while there was no band, just canned music and Stevie, Lori and Sharon--at least they sang live to the track. Unfortunately, they didn't sound very good! lol

I have yet to obtain any show in which they perform Love Is Dangerous. Do they do a good job?
Oh yeah the SN "Top of the pops" live singing only show...

The BTM shows I was at I don't remember having performances of LID at them so sorry, hopefully someone else can chuck in a review of a live version of LID here if someone was at a BTM show that they might have done it at. Anyone?

John
Old 03-16-2003, 04:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by chiliD
Have you heard his recent solo version of "Love Is Dangerous"??

If FMac had recorded THAT verison, I think it would've been a great single.

Hmmmm, if more ex-members re-record "solo" versions of their Fleetwood Mac songs, we might be able to come up with a full album:

PGSG:
Black Magic Woman
Albatross
Homework
Rattlesnake Shake
Green Manalishi

Bob Welch:
Sentimental Lady
Future Games

Rick Vito:
Love Is Dangerous
I Loved Another Woman (Yeah, it's a PG tune, but for now, let's count it, 'k?)
No, I don't have any Rick Vito solo stuff, as of now. Is it better than the Behind The Mask version? I've always thought that version just sounded flat. It's interesting to see your list, especially Bob Welch. As much as I love "Sentimental Lady" on Bare Trees, I think the French Kiss version is even better.

Last edited by macfan 57; 03-16-2003 at 04:31 PM..
Old 03-16-2003, 04:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by wetcamelfood
Oh yeah the SN "Top of the pops" live singing only show...

The BTM shows I was at I don't remember having performances of LID at them so sorry, hopefully someone else can chuck in a review of a live version of LID here if someone was at a BTM show that they might have done it at. Anyone?

John
At the show that I was at, I don't remember them doing "Love Is Dangerous", but I'm not 100% sure. However, I have a CD from their Oakland show and a video from their Los Angeles show. They did "Love Is Dangerous" at both shows. Now, these shows were the last two shows of the tour and I saw them much earlier. So maybe, they added "Love Is Dangerous" sometime later on in the tour.