Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-26-2010, 01:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Tom Petty's Walls

[I liked this discussion of the song]

Culture Map Houston, September 26, 2010 by Jim Beviglia

http://culturemap.com/newsdetail/09-...-inspired-one/

If I asked you which Fleetwood Mac member made the greatest contribution to Petty’s recording career, you might answer Stevie Nicks in a heartbeat, and it would be hard to argue against that since she popped up several times and the two sang a duet that was a major hit. But what if I told you that Lindsey Buckingham ran a closer second in this race than you might think?

You see, it’s Buckingham who arranged and sang the endlessly fascinating layers of backing vocals that make this version of “Walls” so special, elevating a great song into a spectacular one. Since this version is subtitled “Circus,” Buckingham fittingly creates the aural equivalent of a Hall of Mirrors, his voice seconding Petty’s admonitions in skewed proportions at seemingly impossible angles to a reticent girl. One can imagine her, at the center of this barrage, finally grasping the full magnitude of what she has lost.

And it is ultimately a loss, as hinted by Petty’s final set of opposites in his brilliantly conceived lyrics: “Part of me you carry/Part of me is gone.” It’s a tough position to be in when you’re apologizing for someone else’s mistakes, but TP never shows anger or disdain for this girl’s standoffishness; he simply gives her all the evidence he can so that she might see the unseen hurt that such a stance can produce.

Some might prefer the quieter charms of “Walls (No. 3),” but, to me, the huge production here is necessary to thaw this frozen heart. I saw it once, but I honestly can’t remember too much about She’s the One, the Ed Burns movie to which Petty granted this song. But if for no other reason than it inspired this magnificent effort, well, then that long-forgotten flick certainly served its purpose.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I think it's a great song!
Old 09-26-2010, 07:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I adore Walls and think the two men sound amazing together- and I totally wouldn't expect that because, on paper, I wouldn't think that collaboration would be as awesome as it was. I love, love, love TP and consider him to be one of the best rock songwriters ever. This song is wonderful.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I didn't realize Tom and Lindsey ever collaborated. Thanks for sharing this, Michele!
Old 09-26-2010, 10:57 PM
Supporting Ledgie

I remember buying this song on cassette in 1996 (?) ... before I even really knew anything about Fleetwood Mac. What a great song!
Old 09-26-2010, 11:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon View Post
I remember buying this song on cassette in 1996 (?) ... before I even really knew anything about Fleetwood Mac. What a great song!
What is a cassette?What is Stevies' face leaning on in my sig pic? Is it a hot dog or a box of kleenex?
Old 09-27-2010, 02:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
I didn't realize Tom and Lindsey ever collaborated. Thanks for sharing this, Michele!
Lindsey also did You Can't Make Love with Don Henley. He's not going to let Stevie have all the fun.

This is what Tom Petty said in Paul Zollo's conversations about Walls:

Q: You have one version of it called "Walls (Circus)" with amazing vocal harmonies by Lindsey Buckingham.

A: He's amazing. He was kind enough to come down and sing that.

Q: Was it your idea to call him?

A: Yeah, yeah. I'm a big fan of Lindsey's. And I called him and was really knocked out that he came down and helped me with that. [Having two versions of the song] was Ed Burns' idea. He wanted one version of "Walls" to start the movie, and another arrangement to end the movie. So I did two different arrangements of it. And Lindsey's just amazing on that track.

Q: Did he come up with those harmonies?

A: Yeah, it was all him. He came down and did it all in one session. I kind of just sat back and watched him go. Just going, 'Yep--that's what I would've done!' [Laughs]

Q: It's cool you've worked with both Stevie Nicks and Lindsey.

A: Yeah. I worked with [Lindsey] again on The Last DJ. He sang on "The Man Who Loves Women."
Old 09-27-2010, 11:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for sharing this Michele. I'm kind of on a TP kick at the moment. Just saw him in North Carolina last week and I finally got around to watching his "Running Down a Dream" documentary. He's just a cool, gracious, brilliant dude. And his band is amazing. Lindsey should totally work with him again. I adore both songs.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Lindsey also did You Can't Make Love with Don Henley. He's not going to let Stevie have all the fun.

This is what Tom Petty said in Paul Zollo's conversations about Walls:

Q: You have one version of it called "Walls (Circus)" with amazing vocal harmonies by Lindsey Buckingham.

A: He's amazing. He was kind enough to come down and sing that.

Q: Was it your idea to call him?

A: Yeah, yeah. I'm a big fan of Lindsey's. And I called him and was really knocked out that he came down and helped me with that. [Having two versions of the song] was Ed Burns' idea. He wanted one version of "Walls" to start the movie, and another arrangement to end the movie. So I did two different arrangements of it. And Lindsey's just amazing on that track.

Q: Did he come up with those harmonies?

A: Yeah, it was all him. He came down and did it all in one session. I kind of just sat back and watched him go. Just going, 'Yep--that's what I would've done!' [Laughs]

Q: It's cool you've worked with both Stevie Nicks and Lindsey.

A: Yeah. I worked with [Lindsey] again on The Last DJ. He sang on "The Man Who Loves Women."
It makes me smile hearing things like that Thanks for posting this QnA and for all the info, Michele! I already liked Walls, but I didn't know Lindsey was on it...so now I like it even more!

------------------------------------------