The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-29-2017, 10:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Am I the only one that is bothered by...?

So first, let me say that I loved the show I saw on this tour. I went without knowing the setlist and really loved it from start to finish. So these points are merely me nitpicking.

1. I really hated the fact that she did only parts of Wild Heart and Bella Donna. When I heard the opening chords of Wild Heart, I went insane (to borrow a phrase from someone, now, who was it that said that? ) and then just I was getting ready to listen to the second verse, it went into Bella Donna. I hated that because it cut out so much. It also feels like she thinks that the audience's attention span isn't long enough to last 3 extra minutes. Frankly I would have liked it better if she had just done Wild Heart all the way through and if she wanted to cut out a minute of the "vamp" at the end (that's how it's called in the linear notes ) it would have been fine and not so long.

2. Similarly, I hate the shortened Edge of 17. I don't want to hear it any more just because the shortened version really misses so much and again, it feels like it's so that we will stay interested. Cut a minute or two of the solo at the end for Pete's sake, but not verses of the song.

OK, I got that off my chest. Sorry for the negative vibes, which I don't usually post, but I had to get it off my chest.

Kevin
Old 03-29-2017, 10:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

it appears she cuts things not because of the audience's attention span but because of her diminishing vocal range.
Old 03-29-2017, 11:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The verses in Edge of 17 are all the same notes. And if she sang just Wild Heart instead of Bella Donna it would be the same amount of singing. It doesn't seem like it's a range issue. I mean, I know her range isn't what it once was, but to me that doesn't makes sense in these decisions, unless there is something that I don't understand. I'd honestly rather have her take out one song from the set and sing the others all the way through. Just my opinion.

Kevin
Old 03-30-2017, 06:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Edge of Seventeen is such a story, it's hard to imagine it being edited the way it was on this tour. I don't think the shortening of the three songs you listed had anything to do with her range or ability to sing them, but rather it's Stevie's way of meeting the venue's closing time, while keeping as many songs in the set she can AND still having time to chat between songs.

I also think Stevie didn't realize how much the audience would enjoy hearing Bella Donna and the Wild Heart, so to play it safe, she combined them. Clearly, the audience has been loving those two songs, but if she changed it now and sang them individually, she'd have to drop a whole other song.
Old 03-30-2017, 06:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
it appears she cuts things not because of the audience's attention span but because of her diminishing vocal range.
This is probably the main reason. Although I hadn't thought of the point bwboy made; that could also be a factor. Stevie had been thinking about a "medley" of title songs for a long time, I think she first mentioned it at an IYD screening.
Old 03-30-2017, 06:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm all for editing the songs in concert these days since she can no longer sing to save her life.

I wonder how many people enjoy hearing her "chat between songs"? I honestly think her rambling is an indication of early onset senility.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
I'm all for editing the songs in concert these days since she can no longer sing to save her life.

I wonder how many people enjoy hearing her "chat between songs"? I honestly think her rambling is an indication of early onset senility.
Oh I don't know, Phil.....it's meant to be an evenings entertainment.
And if I really thought she couldn't sing, then I wouldn't.......guess what, GO.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'd probably rather hear a medley at this point too. It softens the fact that her voice is in such bad condition now. I mean, she thinks she's singing better than ever. But she really isn't, or at least to my ears it isn't. Certainly not as entertaining as it was during the RAL tour when she roared, barked, and bellowed.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyfan View Post
So first, let me say that I loved the show I saw on this tour. I went without knowing the setlist and really loved it from start to finish. So these points are merely me nitpicking.

1. I really hated the fact that she did only parts of Wild Heart and Bella Donna. When I heard the opening chords of Wild Heart, I went insane (to borrow a phrase from someone, now, who was it that said that? ) and then just I was getting ready to listen to the second verse, it went into Bella Donna. I hated that because it cut out so much. It also feels like she thinks that the audience's attention span isn't long enough to last 3 extra minutes. Frankly I would have liked it better if she had just done Wild Heart all the way through and if she wanted to cut out a minute of the "vamp" at the end (that's how it's called in the linear notes ) it would have been fine and not so long.

2. Similarly, I hate the shortened Edge of 17. I don't want to hear it any more just because the shortened version really misses so much and again, it feels like it's so that we will stay interested. Cut a minute or two of the solo at the end for Pete's sake, but not verses of the song.

OK, I got that off my chest. Sorry for the negative vibes, which I don't usually post, but I had to get it off my chest.

Kevin
The fact that she doesn't wear a stitch of white for EO17 bothers me far more than the new shortened version, although I prefer the song in it's entirety. It REALLY hate that she chopped up WH and Bella Donna. These are amazing, classic songs that haven't been played in so many years (WH has never been played until now). I think it was a really bad decision to not play them in full. It's almost like why bother? Skip the story about her shawl, the sails and her mom's frugal ways and sing the whole damn song.

I remember it all...you just had to fall...
Old 03-30-2017, 09:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

So am I the only person who is just grateful for these songs being performed then? Lol.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheart View Post
The fact that she doesn't wear a stitch of white for EO17 bothers me far more than the new shortened version, although I prefer the song in it's entirety. It REALLY hate that she chopped up WH and Bella Donna. These are amazing, classic songs that haven't been played in so many years (WH has never been played until now). I think it was a really bad decision to not play them in full. It's almost like why bother? Skip the story about her shawl, the sails and her mom's frugal ways and sing the whole damn song.
She is doing what she has send in interviews --- doing a medley of Bella Donna and Wild Heart. In one of the Q&As for In Your Dreams she said she wanted to sing a few verses of Bella Donna, Wild Heart, Rock a Little, etc. Maybe she will add more next time, or do full versions since they were both well received this time.

The Edge cuts are totally because of time. She said she would be doing this too, and this is how she has performed the song on TV recently. I personally wish she would put back the clouds never expect it and end the song with the nighbird part, only chopping that last verse she's tacked on for years.
Old 03-30-2017, 10:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post

I LOVE her stories. I think it makes the show more personal than if she would just stand and sing. Her voice is stronger on this tour than it has been lately. Sure her range has decreased but now her voice is deep and full. And at nearly 69 years old, she can still kick some ass!
Old 03-30-2017, 11:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24karatstevie View Post
I LOVE her stories. I think it makes the show more personal than if she would just stand and sing. Her voice is stronger on this tour than it has been lately. Sure her range has decreased but now her voice is deep and full. And at nearly 69 years old, she can still kick some ass!
I do think her singing has been stellar on this tour.

I remember it all...you just had to fall...
Old 03-30-2017, 12:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmatrix View Post
So am I the only person who is just grateful for these songs being performed then? Lol.
Not only am I grateful, I am blown away by the variety, intensity and yes, the vocal performances on this tour.

Look, it's not 1977. It's not even 1985. Our girl is never going to sing like that again, but she's taking care of her voice now, and working very hard to give a good performance every night. Guess what? She's succeeding, and the audiences are responding.

I've seen the 18 minute Edge of Seventeen performances. I'm happy to give up 14 minutes of that to get a bit of Wild Heart, Bella Donna, AND the cape story.
Old 03-30-2017, 12:20 PM
Senior Ledgie

I have seen her twice on this tour...I would like more singing myself and less storytelling, because I know all the stories LOL...but everyone I am talking to who attended these concerts commented that they liked the story telling and that it was like being in your living room talking to your Aunt...I dunno...I think her voice is strong and powerful this tour...During the Drug Years I witnessed much worse vocal performances...When I saw her with the Reunited Rumours Fleetwood Mac lineup, her voice was much stronger than Christine's...love Chris but you could def hear the difference!