User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-19-2008, 12:03 AM
Ledgie

Default BB King In London

Hi to all,

A very reliable source has just told me that, after Peter recorded "Caledonia" with BB, he requested that his Guitar Break be removed from the Album. All of the Vinyl Issues that I am aware of include Peter's Solo, as does the CD copy that I have (MCA Records - MCABD 10843). Apparently there is a CD Issue that has dropped Peter's Solo. Does anyone out there know about this Issue & could possibly tell me the Label & Catalogue Number? I assume that Peter plays Rhythm on all of BB's parts, regardless. I would like to find a copy and hear it.

Thanks very much in advance for any information / assistance anyone can offer.

Cheers, Don
Old 11-19-2008, 05:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Brown View Post
Hi to all,

A very reliable source has just told me that, after Peter recorded "Caledonia" with BB, he requested that his Guitar Break be removed from the Album. All of the Vinyl Issues that I am aware of include Peter's Solo, as does the CD copy that I have (MCA Records - MCABD 10843). Apparently there is a CD Issue that has dropped Peter's Solo. Does anyone out there know about this Issue & could possibly tell me the Label & Catalogue Number? I assume that Peter plays Rhythm on all of BB's parts, regardless. I would like to find a copy and hear it.

Thanks very much in advance for any information / assistance anyone can offer.

Cheers, Don

Hello, Don.
I have the edited version on a MCA BB King cd collection called "Ain't nobody home - The Best of BB King" (MCD 18222). The track runs 3:18 minutes. This is listed as taken
from the MCA cd "BB King in London" (MCD 18223) - the cd version from the late 80's. Have a look in your inbox

Last edited by dino; 11-19-2008 at 05:46 AM..
Old 11-19-2008, 06:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default no solo contendre

While Peter'e sol was less than inspiring, when did he ask about having it removed? I have the original vinyl.

after listening the person who should have made that request was Duster Bennett, or at least a retake.

8^)

doodyhead
Old 11-20-2008, 11:44 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino View Post
Hello, Don.
I have the edited version on a MCA BB King cd collection called "Ain't nobody home - The Best of BB King" (MCD 18222). The track runs 3:18 minutes. This is listed as taken
from the MCA cd "BB King in London" (MCD 18223) - the cd version from the late 80's. Have a look in your inbox
Hi Dino,

Thanks so much for the information. If these Issues are still available, I should be able to find them somewhere.

Cheers, Don
Old 11-20-2008, 12:39 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Hello, Don.
I have European edition of "B.B. King in London" - described as 1971 ABC Records Inc (vinyl I suppose) and 1985 MCA Records Inc. (CD) MCD 18223. It was Printed in Germany.
Caldonia runs 4:00 minutes.

Cheers
Krzysztof
Old 11-20-2008, 01:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kowk View Post
I have European edition of "B.B. King in London" - described as 1971 ABC Records Inc (vinyl I suppose) and 1985 MCA Records Inc. (CD) MCD 18223. It was Printed in Germany.
Caldonia runs 4:00 minutes.

Cheers
Krzysztof

It seems the edited version is only on the compilation albums then:

"Another album, The Best Of B.B. King (released as ABC ABCX 767, later as MCA 3276, and in Britain as ABC 5026), features the track on which Peter Green played (from the 1971 album B.B. King In London ), "Caldonia", but is listed as running 3:20 (as opposed to 4:00 on the original release) with all of the personnel listed as on the first release except Green. A note is included in the liner notes: "At the request of a participating artist, this is a shortened version of the master originally released." His playing was deleted from the mix, apparently at Green's own insistence, a sad statement to his career--and state of mind--eclipse."
Old 11-26-2008, 05:10 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
It seems the edited version is only on the compilation albums then:

"Another album, The Best Of B.B. King (released as ABC ABCX 767, later as MCA 3276, and in Britain as ABC 5026), features the track on which Peter Green played (from the 1971 album B.B. King In London ), "Caldonia", but is listed as running 3:20 (as opposed to 4:00 on the original release) with all of the personnel listed as on the first release except Green. A note is included in the liner notes: "At the request of a participating artist, this is a shortened version of the master originally released." His playing was deleted from the mix, apparently at Green's own insistence, a sad statement to his career--and state of mind--eclipse."
I found out that this thread has previously been discussedd here, on the 'Ledge'. Sorry that I missed it, and bothered everyone by bringing it up again. I appreciate all of the new (to me) information that was offered. Thanks to the information provided, I managed to locate copies on Vinyl & CD. I was intrigued by Peter's request to remove his Guitar Solo, and as a crazed Collector, happy to learn of this. Thanks again, to everyone who helped.

Cheers, Don