The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-19-2004, 12:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Rumours77
this deoends on if you are using XP. If your using XP I can help, but if you are using something else, you'll have to contact bit tornado makers. OK, what you should do is right click the file and selct "Open With" and then hit select program from list, and then select Bit Tornado. Then after you do this any other Bit Torrent file you will download should automatically be directied to bit tornado.
Hope I could help
Acck! I can't do it! I have XP, i went to download Torrent, downloaded bittornado (is that the same thing) and then tried to open it with that, but that wasn't one of my choices for opening with...argh.

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 10-19-2004, 12:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

okay, i'm getting really pissed off, cause it's like i can almost do it...
It keeps saying permission denied. Did i save torrent and tusk to the wrong place or something? Damn my dumb-ocity! Gaw, it really makes me want to slap somebody down! And throw wine in their face!

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -

Last edited by amber; 10-19-2004 at 12:56 AM..
Old 10-19-2004, 03:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
okay, i'm getting really pissed off, cause it's like i can almost do it...
It keeps saying permission denied. Did i save torrent and tusk to the wrong place or something? Damn my dumb-ocity! Gaw, it really makes me want to slap somebody down! And throw wine in their face!
It's not just you AMber. I can't get this stuff to work either.
Old 10-20-2004, 05:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie
It's not just you AMber. I can't get this stuff to work either.
Can anyone help us? I'll ask a couple specific questions: When I went to the website link to download torrent (?) first, it actually only had bittornado. Is that the same thing? If not, where on that link do i find Torrent? Also, if I do happen to download it, does it matter where I save it to? And if I do manage to download and save it to the proper place, when I download the Tusk rehearsal, do I have to save THAT to a certain place?
Any other advice besides answering these questions is very, very, welcome.
AMber

Old 10-20-2004, 06:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I use bitcomet to download torrent files

Download.com

And you'll need this little program to verify after you have downloaded

Md5sum

Download the bitcomet and the md5sum program to your desk top (it's easier to find them) Then install them to your program file on your computer.

Then go to etree and find the torrent you want to download... Click on the first torrent link which will take you to another page describing what the torrent is. Click on the actual torrent link and your computer will probably say something like "your computer doesn't know what program to use to open the file"... Select browse and find the bitcomet program that you downloaded and installed in your program file and click on it. This should start the download. Then all you have to do is wait out the long process of the download, which for me on the Tusk doc. took 2 and a half days!!

Once you've downloaded it. There will be a md5sum icon in the file folder where you downloaded it to. (You can select any folder you want to downloaded it to... probably best to create a seperate on). Right click on the md5sum and you will see an option that says "verify". Click it... and let the program do it's work. After it is finished, and everything checks out... you are finished to do what ever you want with it.

To watch it on your computer... I use the VLC Media Player cause it plays any type of file... You can get that as well for free here. VLC Media Player

When you download and install this media player... Open it up... Click on file on the top left hand side... Click on "Quick Open" and find the folder where you downloaded the torrent file. Select one of the files and you should be able to watch it on your computer... I can no problem...

Burning it to a dvd... Someone else will have to help you out with that... I haven't gotten that far yet... lol

Hope some of this info helps you out.
Old 10-20-2004, 09:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
Can anyone help us? I'll ask a couple specific questions: When I went to the website link to download torrent (?) first, it actually only had bittornado. Is that the same thing? If not, where on that link do i find Torrent? Also, if I do happen to download it, does it matter where I save it to? And if I do manage to download and save it to the proper place, when I download the Tusk rehearsal, do I have to save THAT to a certain place?
Any other advice besides answering these questions is very, very, welcome.
AMber
Im not sure if this is what you want..
http://www.easytree.org/torrents-details.php?id=6571
When you open the torrent file.. (bit torndao should open up automatically anyways) It will ask you to say the files to a specific place.... It shouldnt matter where you save it, Just as long as you can get to it after the download it done. Anymore help please ask.. I will be watching this thread for the next couple of days to answer any questions.
Old 10-20-2004, 10:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Rumours77
Im not sure if this is what you want..
http://www.easytree.org/torrents-details.php?id=6571
When you open the torrent file.. (bit torndao should open up automatically anyways) It will ask you to say the files to a specific place.... It shouldnt matter where you save it, Just as long as you can get to it after the download it done. Anymore help please ask.. I will be watching this thread for the next couple of days to answer any questions.
Ok, i already found that. I was talking about when you gave us the link to download Torrent, the program, and on that page, it only had a download for "Bittornado", not "Torrent" and i don't know if it's the same thing.
Thanks, 77

Old 10-20-2004, 11:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by face of glass

The most important thing: KEEP THOSE TORRENTS GOING AFTER YOU'RE DONE! The fairest thing is to upload at least as much as you download, meaning that your share ratio would be 1.00. Easytree monitors its users share ratios very closely these days; if it drops below a certain point you won't be able to use the site anymore.
How do I keep it going? It's downloading right now but it says i have 50 hours still. What does seeding mean? While it's working it's showing my upload and download ratio, but I'm not sure exactly what the ratio signifies...anyway...Oh, and what number should I set as my upload rate?
Amber

Old 10-21-2004, 06:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

When you are uploading... That means you are now seeding the show (uploading for others to download). After you finish your download... it will continue to upload until YOU cancel the connection. The general rule with torrent downloads is that the amount you download is also what you should upload, so leave it going even when you are finished.

50 hours... that sounds about right.

Upload rate should be kept lower then download rate. I guess the amount depends on your download rate.

What are your download / upload rates ie: 30kbs, 40kbs or higher or lower?
Old 10-21-2004, 12:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan
When you are uploading... That means you are now seeding the show (uploading for others to download). After you finish your download... it will continue to upload until YOU cancel the connection. The general rule with torrent downloads is that the amount you download is also what you should upload, so leave it going even when you are finished.

50 hours... that sounds about right.

Upload rate should be kept lower then download rate. I guess the amount depends on your download rate.

What are your download / upload rates ie: 30kbs, 40kbs or higher or lower?
Right now, as i'm watching it, my download rate is 55 and my upload rate is 15. However, when watching it all last night, i have never seen the two be this far apart. They were usually within 5-6 of each other. But on the place where you pick your upload number, I just went back to default. Everything seems to be going ok, says i have 16 hours left. Thank you. Ah, now my download and upload rate both went back to around 30, give or take. that is normal...

Old 10-21-2004, 12:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Not sure of the program you are using to download with... but with mine, I can regulate the upload rate and I usually lower it or select the maximum that I want it to upload to.

Sounds like you're doing fine thou
Old 10-21-2004, 12:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

AMber, you do have a DVD-rom(player) on your computer, right? I don't, and therein lies my problem. Nothing will play these vob files. So converting these vob's to Mpeg or something IS our problem. The converters that have been listed here haven't worked (at least for me). I found a converter called Xilisoft last night, which DID convert the video, but not the audio. The free download would only let you do the first 5 minutes. The pay version was $30(I think). But it didn't convert the audio, so what's the point?
I downloaded two converters off Kazaa which I'm going to give a shot today, BUT,-friends- Kazaa is getting dangerous(not just legally). Something off Kazaa erased EVERY bookmark on my computer(like 100!) last night More and more of the files are containing spyware now, too.
HOmer
Old 10-21-2004, 01:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie
AMber, you do have a DVD-rom(player) on your computer, right? I don't, and therein lies my problem. Nothing will play these vob files. So converting these vob's to Mpeg or something IS our problem. The converters that have been listed here haven't worked (at least for me). I found a converter called Xilisoft last night, which DID convert the video, but not the audio. The free download would only let you do the first 5 minutes. The pay version was $30(I think). But it didn't convert the audio, so what's the point?
I downloaded two converters off Kazaa which I'm going to give a shot today, BUT,-friends- Kazaa is getting dangerous(not just legally). Something off Kazaa erased EVERY bookmark on my computer(like 100!) last night More and more of the files are containing spyware now, too.
HOmer
This may be a stupid question (probably is) but after I get this finished, is there a way for me to make copies of it? I mean, with my own computer...it would be nice to get to some of the non-hi speed ledgies, if they wanted it...
Thanks,
AMber

Old 10-21-2004, 01:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan
Not sure of the program you are using to download with... but with mine, I can regulate the upload rate and I usually lower it or select the maximum that I want it to upload to.

Sounds like you're doing fine thou
but actually i don't yet understand the point of my upload and download rate being higher and lower. I mean, what is the purpose of having it one way or another?
Thanks
AMber

Old 10-21-2004, 05:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I'm fairly new to this as well... But the way I see it is if there is 100kbs that can be handled by your machine, whether it be upload or download, or a combo of both. And you are at 50/50 (meaning 50kbs download and 50kbs upload), the download will take longer. But if you limit your upload to say 30kbs out of that 100kbs that's up for grabs... your download rate should increase by itself up to 70kbs to fill the gap, which means you will download quicker.

I could be wrong on that... but that's my understanding of it. I did read somewhere about limiting your upload rate... but not too low as what you upload is being thrown into the pool so that everyone else downloading will receive it. The thing about torrent downloads is it's not like you are connected to one person and getting it from them. You are grabbing from all the seeders that have the show still open and are seeding... but you are taking from them based on the upload rate that they have set for themselves.