User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-06-2005, 02:48 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizNicks
Whats so wrong about posting mp3s? I don't care!
That's the problem. You don't care. You could have easily downloaded the show, said 'Thank you, sir' and be on your way. But you decided to blatantly dismiss the taper's wishes. If you taped a show, and then someone sped it up to chipmunk speed and circulated it, I'd think you'd be pissed. It was wonderful the way it was.
With the way BitTorrent seeds work, the show will be up for a week or two, and then it'll fade away. But your ****ty (in the eyes of those who care) MP3's will be around for as long as you want. So as time goes on, those who want the option of finding the quality version won't be able to.
Thank you for your callous disregard for the taping community's ethics and standards.
Old 01-06-2005, 03:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjk3047
That's the problem. You don't care. You could have easily downloaded the show, said 'Thank you, sir' and be on your way. But you decided to blatantly dismiss the taper's wishes. If you taped a show, and then someone sped it up to chipmunk speed and circulated it, I'd think you'd be pissed. It was wonderful the way it was.
With the way BitTorrent seeds work, the show will be up for a week or two, and then it'll fade away. But your ****ty (in the eyes of those who care) MP3's will be around for as long as you want. So as time goes on, those who want the option of finding the quality version won't be able to.
Thank you for your callous disregard for the taping community's ethics and standards.
So? The bootleg will disappear on one or two weeks, now 180 people have it and are happy that they have it! Amybe I don#t care, but what you do is ignorant! Why do you give a f**k about taht files ****ty mp3 files will still excists in 2 years! You shouldn't care about it? It's not your buisness! You will have nothing to do with my users downloading the music whih has been posted on the easytree site (not even on the ledge)! I like you all guys! I don't even have the tracks posted as mp3s, I have them as wma, and the taper didnt say anything about it! What would've been the difference if www.sararhiannon.com or www.bluewhitefire.com (no offence, just an example) would have posted the files as mp3s on their site after they have traded for it, nothing would've happened! You all forget that bit torrent is sharing music, like downloading mp3 is! Just other people do this! In the end you downloaded the show too, but on my site, twice as much people do it and in the end, the show would've been posted on another site and absolutely NOBODY of you would care about it, or even write a email to the webmaster! I don't know, I have the feeling some people want to sound sanctimonious! (no offence, I like you all guys, but that's not okay)

And btw, do you have any idea what **** you have written there?
Old 01-06-2005, 04:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
What would've been the difference if www.sararhiannon.com or www.bluewhitefire.com (no offence, just an example) would have posted the files as mp3s on their site after they have traded for it, nothing would've happened!
David, I appreciate the service your site provides to the fan community, but I do understand why people are upset. It's not a personal attack on you -- if I or anyone else had posted the show in .mp3 form I imagine the same complaints would have been raised. To the people who tape the shows and upload them as bit torrent, .mp3 is an extremely poor quality format that pollutes the trading community. They're purists. Whether you agree with them or not (and I don't, necessarily -- the only way to tell the difference between lossless vs. high bitrate .mp3 source is through programs that allow you to visualize compression and compare the waveforms), disregarding the wishes of the taper will result in them refusing to share stuff in the future.

And just to add, because you mentioned 'My Heart', I think that was a slightly different situation, but I did get negative responses to posting that too. The person that originally posted about the song was pretty upset, although the file I posted had a different source.
Old 01-06-2005, 04:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I know and understand this! But people would rather see me burning the CD and cleaning my ass with it the burned CD, than converting it to mp3! The thing is just that everybody, except the the taper told me something, why it should't be converted the mp3 (or wma)! You call it purists, I call it ignorant! After a bootleg is in circulation, it goes its way and sooner or later it will end up as mp3, maybe not today or tomorrow, but maybe next month! I don't understand their reasons why this show mustn't be shared with a with more people in mp3 form! All people who posted here already downloaded this show and burned it on CD! Why are the other 200 people who are interested in this show not allowed to download it? You make sharing music to a privilege that only a few people should have! You don't even care about the other people who can't do bittorrents, because they have dial-up (etc.) and mp3 is their only alternative to that!
Please tell me one good reason why this show mustn't be shared on mp3 (except that the taper doesn't want it to) and the users of my site will find 10 why it should be shared! HELL NO! That doesn't hurt anyone! Is it bad for someone's ego? Everyday 10.000 of people are dying in South Asia and wwe discuss about cnverting flac files to mp3s! That is absolutely sick! Doesn't people have other problems than this? I don't think so! I will do what I begun and this thread is ended for me now, because I can't hear it anymore!
Old 01-06-2005, 04:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by estranged4life
Bono of U2 has to purchase a bootleg ("Salome-The Achtung Baby Session Tapes") to just see what material was on the disc but he even forgot himself...Because he couldnt find someone who would give a free copy cause they thought he would sue 'em ("We dont care if fans make copies of ours shows and pass 'em about...But when you do it for money...We will find where you parked your car and bash out the windows"-Bono on live bootlegs)
I like what Bowie said about bootlegs:

"They've been taking my music and bootlegging my shows for ages. I know all the sites that have my bootlegs and all my MP3s. Actually, I don't give a flying f*ck. I like the internet and I like the community."

Old 01-06-2005, 04:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

always thought the internet was about sharing. And to share, you have to be able to part with your things
Old 01-06-2005, 04:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Chill, I'm not attacking you .

Quote:
You make sharing music to a privilege that only a few people should have! You don't even care about the other people who can't do bittorrents, because they have dial-up (etc.) and mp3 is their only alternative to that!
I never said any such thing. For the record, I'm currently on dial-up. I didn't download the show because I don't know how bit torrent works and I'm too lazy to learn right now. However, the show was offered here (via snail mail) to anyone who wanted it, including those like me who had slow connections or weren't familiar with bit torrent, so it's not as if it was being kept from people. You asked why posting the mp3s was such a big deal -- I was just trying to explain that bit torrent traders are usually very strict about format and will withhold stuff in the future if people disregard their requests to keep the material lossless. The fact that posting the mp3s jeopardizes the chance of more rarities being circulated, is a big reason that people are upset.
Old 01-06-2005, 04:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hmmmm! Actually i didn't want to post here anymore, but you may misunderstood something! Of course I didn't mean you with that, I mean all the others! Compared to the others (with Mari), you showed at least a little bit understanding for that! After I dowloaded a bit torrent, the downloading is ended, that means, the files are copied on my computer and I can do what I want with them! I can convert them to everything I want and there is nthing you can do about it! I am not renting the bittorrent, so that I have to give it back! Those "purists" msutn't give a damn about what I am doing with it and the more I talk about it, the less I care about the taper says about it! I am pretty sure, that taping the show wasn't allowed too, but that's a thing nobody cares about! The show was taped and offered for download and now everyone who has downloaded the show can do what he/she wants with it and I stop carrying now at this partcular moment what everyone's saying about it!
Old 01-06-2005, 04:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Hmmmm! Actually i didn't want to post here anymore, but you may misunderstood something! Of course I didn't mean you with that, I mean all the others! Compared to the others (with Mari), you showed at least a little bit understanding for that! After I dowloaded a bit torrent, the downloading is ended, that means, the files are copied on my computer and I can do what I want with them! I can convert them to everything I want and there is nthing you can do about it! I am not renting the bittorrent, so that I have to give it back! Those "purists" msutn't give a damn about what I am doing with it and the more I talk about it, the less I care about the taper says about it! I am pretty sure, that taping the show wasn't allowed too, but that's a thing nobody cares about! The show was taped and offered for download and now everyone who has downloaded the show can do what he/she wants with it and I stop carrying now at this partcular moment what everyone's saying about it!
Old 01-06-2005, 06:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation Sorry...I was one of...

Quote:
All people who posted here already downloaded this show and burned it on CD!
the few who had this show before it was even available via torrent, I followed the taper's demand to not trade it altered from the original format and stated that request on the page which contains the show's setlist...If that's what it took to get the show, Then fine I have no problem with that (I prefer to trade via snail mail to get a recording that is pristine without the hassle of downloading or having to contend with possible downloading errors.)

But as I stated earlier before the trouble over the Sioux City show started:

If anyone thinks a taper's request on a torrent/download site (For a show to not be altered from the original format) will be honored is just wishful thinkin'

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 01-06-2005, 07:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by estranged4life
If anyone thinks a taper's request on a torrent/download site (For a show to not be altered from the original format) will be honored is just wishful thinkin'
How true! That's the reason this thread became an issue in the first place. Everyone knows Fleetwood Mac fans don't care how recordings get traded. What happened with this show makes that point crystal clear.

Let's not fail to see the point at issue. It's not about sharing. Not at all. The reason this show got out was the desire to share a good uncirculated show. If people didn't want to share this show would still be uncirculated. Nobody would have it. End of story.

The real issue is integrity. A lot of music sharing by most other bands is done by purists who have developed a negative image of FM fans. With the poor quality of FM boots already in circulation tapers don't want to share new stuff with FM fans. They aren't sitting on shows just to be selfish. They really do care about how their shows are circulated. We obviously don't. This show was never horded. It was offered in it's original format here at the Ledge. Anyone could have gotten the show, and still can, in the uncompressed format.

Keeping things in perspective, David, the SC show was shared in it's original format with many people who could have put it on a website for download. It was offered to several people with their own websites. You're the only one who thumbed his nose at the request of the torrent trader and made things worse by posting here about your download site. Why post openly about your intention to ignore the no mp3 request and encourage the trading of the show as mp3? That's probably the thing I disagree with most. Yes, you can do what you want. Nobody says you can't. Of course you understand that the end result is...we won't get all the recordings that might be out there because the torrent traders have been proven right about the FM fan community. Not that this was a test, but if it were, we fluked out big time.

Last edited by glitter_fades; 01-07-2005 at 12:21 AM..
Old 01-07-2005, 12:24 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:

And btw, do you have any idea what **** you have written there?
Look man, I'm not going to try and argue my point because you either don't get it or don't want to get it. But you're going to tell me about the '**** I have written'?

Two words:
Spelling.
Grammar.

P.S. I downloaded a movie using BitTorrent. The MPAA didn't say anything to me. I guess they don't mind.
Old 01-07-2005, 12:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Not to be a little bitch here but.. This was supposed to be an informative thread, not people arguing. Well I guess some of this is information! I agree with both sides, MP3's are handy especially for things I dont want to trade for. I really appreciate what service david is providing. I also fell what Brian and the rest of you guys are saying.. You really should follow the tapers rules. I download files off of Davids site for pleasure... I put them on CD but not on my trade list.. ON SOME RARE OCCASIONS I will do it.. I will be doing it for 3 FM shows tomorrow... I will inform people that it is MP3 though.
Just thought I would say.
Thanks for listening
Old 01-07-2005, 12:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The intensity of these argumants amazes me. Call me another bad-Mac'cer, but really, wtf? First of all-why should we grovel to the person that might have more boots for us? If someone is sitting on some, they should share. If they created the boot themselves and they don't want to share, then keep it to yourself-what I don't know won't hurt me. If they want to state the format or sound quality that they think their bootleg-gift-to-the-world should be maintained at, then by all means state it. I will try to respect that. But don't be upset if it doesn't stay that way. Once you have given it up to the world to circulate it will change shape and form-not always for the better. MP3s are amongst the most common, easily accessed and played format of online music. So of course its bound to happen. Purists and elitists in sound quality, I respect you, and I wish I had the kind of time to really learn about all the technicalities of this, but I don't. I don't have the time and I have other interests as well. If I see a song I can easily download and play from David's site, I will. And I am as satisfied with that as I am knowing that some audio/technophile has a better sounding version of the same song that they are appreciating in their universe of better sound quality. And anyways-people get all uptight because their bootleg they put out ends up with slightly changed format or sound-but why are they so uptight? Because they can't control it. Why can't they control it? Because it is not a viable product, and it is not really their product. Technically it is Fleetwood Mac's product. Shame on me for downloading an MP3 that was originally offered as a better sounding lossless torrent. Shame on you for stealing music from Fleetwood Mac in the first place.
Old 01-07-2005, 02:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricohv
The intensity of these argumants amazes me. Call me another bad-Mac'cer, but really, wtf? First of all-why should we grovel to the person that might have more boots for us? If someone is sitting on some, they should share. If they created the boot themselves and they don't want to share, then keep it to yourself-what I don't know won't hurt me. If they want to state the format or sound quality that they think their bootleg-gift-to-the-world should be maintained at, then by all means state it. I will try to respect that. But don't be upset if it doesn't stay that way. Once you have given it up to the world to circulate it will change shape and form-not always for the better. MP3s are amongst the most common, easily accessed and played format of online music. So of course its bound to happen. Purists and elitists in sound quality, I respect you, and I wish I had the kind of time to really learn about all the technicalities of this, but I don't. I don't have the time and I have other interests as well. If I see a song I can easily download and play from David's site, I will. And I am as satisfied with that as I am knowing that some audio/technophile has a better sounding version of the same song that they are appreciating in their universe of better sound quality. And anyways-people get all uptight because their bootleg they put out ends up with slightly changed format or sound-but why are they so uptight? Because they can't control it. Why can't they control it? Because it is not a viable product, and it is not really their product. Technically it is Fleetwood Mac's product. Shame on me for downloading an MP3 that was originally offered as a better sounding lossless torrent. Shame on you for stealing music from Fleetwood Mac in the first place.
Twice in one day....Ricohv...