Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-27-2016, 11:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Soundbreaking: Stories from the Cutting Edge of Recorded Music

LB is Interviewed in this new series premiering November 14, 2016 on PBS. IMDB indicates eight (8) episodes. While they don't indicate who is interviewed in which episodes (over 150 interviews), Episode 2 is entitled "Painting with Sound." Sounds familiar. Apparently, this was released in New Zealand in May, but will not air on US television until November. Perhaps some Ledgies down under can offer more insight.

Last edited by lbfan; 08-27-2016 at 11:43 AM..
Old 08-27-2016, 07:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Oh thanks. I look forward to this and hearing Lindsey talk about his craft, even though we will have heard some of the descriptions many times before.

Michele
Old 11-12-2016, 11:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Buckingham on new PBS Series - SOUNDBREAKING

If you go to the website www.soundandvision.com you
can get the details on a new PBS series titled Soundbreaking.

Starts November 14 through November 23 at 10 pm EST.

PBS says it moves between past and present to tell the stories
behind the sounds and reveals how innovation redefined not only
what we listen to and how we listen to it, but our very sense of
what music is and can be.

Wonder if Rusty makes an appearance?
Old 11-13-2016, 01:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotafraid View Post
If you go to the website www.soundandvision.com you
can get the details on a new PBS series titled Soundbreaking.

Starts November 14 through November 23 at 10 pm EST.

PBS says it moves between past and present to tell the stories
behind the sounds and reveals how innovation redefined not only
what we listen to and how we listen to it, but our very sense of
what music is and can be.

Wonder if Rusty makes an appearance?
thanks!

here's the whole text of the article:

PBS Series on Recorded Music Kicks Off Monday

By SV Staff • Posted: Nov 11, 2016
http://www.soundandvision.com/images...?itok=hazIzQGj

The first episode of Soundbreaking: Stories from the Cutting Edge of Recorded Music, the last project produced by Sir George Martin who passed away on March 8, airs on PBS at 10 p.m. ET, Monday (November 14).
Charting a century’s worth of innovation and experimentation in the creation of music, Soundbreaking offers a behind-the-scenes look at the birth of new sounds—from the invention of the microphone to the Moog synthesizer, from the phonograph to digital streaming.

In describing the series, PBS said it “moves between past and present to tell the stories behind the sounds and reveals how innovation redefined not only what we listen to and how we listen to it, but our very sense of what music is and can be. Viewers of all ages will hear the songs they love in a whole new way.”

The series features more than 150 exclusive and original interviews with Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, Joni Mitchell, Roger Waters, Roger Daltrey, Elton John, and many others. Other featured artists and producers include Linda Perry, Barry Gibb, Debbie Harry, Quincy Jones, B.B. King, Annie Lennox, Dave Stewart, Mark Knopfler, Tom Petty, Willie Nelson, Bonnie Raitt, Lindsey Buckingham, Rosanne Cash, Don Was, Steven Van Zandt, Sheila E, Questlove, Ben Harper, Billy Idol, Beck, Imogen Heap, Darryl McDaniels, RZA, Bon Iver, Nile Rodgers, Nigel Godrich, Q-tip, Brian Eno, Mark Ronson, Rick Rubin, and Tony Visconti.

Episodes will air on weekdays Monday, November 14 through Wednesday, November 23 at 10:00 p.m. ET (check local listings).

Prior to his passing, Sir George Martin said of the project: “Music is the only common thread and universal language that binds us together regardless of race, nationality, age or income. And recorded music is how we experience it and what makes it accessible.” The six-time Grammy Award winner, recipient of the Recording Academy Trustees Award and producer of more than 50 number-one hit records added, “Soundbreaking afforded me the opportunity to tell the story of the creative process of so many of the artists I have worked with throughout my life.”

Organized thematically, each episode tells stories of pop music icons using their determination, ingenuity and guts to create works of art that have touched us all. Stories within the episodes include:
● George Martin and the Beatles’ groundbreaking work in the studio creates a new paradigm for pop music
● Phil Spector rises as the first “rock star producer”
● Paul Epworth collaborates with Adele on “Rolling in the Deep”
● Stevie Wonder embraces the synthesizer and makes a break with Motown
● Giorgio Moroder fuses R&B with electronica and the dance floor explodes
● The art of sampling gives rise to hip-hop
● Michael Jackson and Madonna take the art of the music video to new heights
● Miles Davis and Marvin Gaye use the long-playing record for new kinds of expression

Each Soundbreaking episode will be available for next-day digital purchase on Amazon Video, Vudu, Google Play, iTunes, Microsoft Movies & TV, and Sony Interactive Entertainment. The series will be released on Blu-ray and DVD Tuesday, November 29.

Watch the trailer here.

Visit soundbreaking.com for a synopsis of each episode, including song lists.

Check your local PBS schedule at pbs.org for show times and additional information.

Read more at http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...dYHcI7zHIZI.99

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 11-13-2016, 01:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I look forward to Lindsey's interview and hope he says something we haven't heard before.

Michele
Old 11-13-2016, 04:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Hi,
I posted a comment about this in 'MacNuggets' in the Rumours forum a couple of weeks ago. Sadly there isn't really anything new. A few new clips of an interview by Lindsey about making Tusk, but I don't recall him saying anything he hasn't said a thousand times before. The whole programme was interesting to watch though. (No, I didn't see Rusty in it);

Soundbreaking: Painting with sound
Sky Arts

I've just watched this programme on Sky Arts (first shown, July 2016). I'd recommend it to Brits & anyone else that can pick it up. It is a series about sound/music recording made by George Martin shortly before he passed away. This episode (Painting with sound) was the second episode of 8 and features Fleetwood Mac along with the likes of Beck and Radiohead. The Fleetwood Mac bit was relatively short and featured Tusk footage of Lindsey recording in his bathroom interspersed with recent recollections by Lindsey on the recording of Tusk.

imdb:
The second episode in our series chronicles a watershed event in the history of music: the moment when the recording studio itself effectively became an instrument and gave rise to sounds that could never be reproduced live. Beginning with the advent of magnetic tape and multi-tracking technology, and charting its evolution from the four or eight tracks used by The Beatles and The Beach Boys, to the sixteen- and twenty-four track productions created by Pink Floyd and Fleetwood Mac, to the digital innovations that today fuel the work of artists such as Beck, Bon Iver, and Radiohead, Painting with Sound traces the birth and development of a new art form--one wholly distinct from what throughout all prior human history had been meant and understood by the word "music."

Aside from the Fleetwood Mac contribution this was a really interesting programme. I'll have to catch up with episode 1 and the rest of the series.
Old 11-14-2016, 12:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Hi,
I posted a comment about this in 'MacNuggets' in the Rumours forum a couple of weeks ago. Sadly there isn't really anything new...

(No, I didn't see Rusty in it);

No Rusty? Then I'm not sure if this is worth my time.

Also, I didn't realize this had been posted about.
Old 11-14-2016, 03:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbfan View Post
LB is Interviewed in this new series premiering November 14, 2016 on PBS. IMDB indicates eight (8) episodes. While they don't indicate who is interviewed in which episodes (over 150 interviews), Episode 2 is entitled "Painting with Sound." Sounds familiar. Apparently, this was released in New Zealand in May, but will not air on US television until November. Perhaps some Ledgies down under can offer more insight.
Nicole of buckinghamnicks.info posted LBs section of this where he basically talks about the album Tusk. She had this posted on her Tumblr site in June but the YouTube link is no longer available due to copyright issues.
Old 11-15-2016, 11:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I wasn't overly impressed with the first episode.
Hopefully this was just an overview of the series.
If not I'd call this a fail.

At 2:00 a.m. Central time my local PBS Station is
airing the second episode which includes Lindsey,
or should I say Fleetwood Mac and Pink Floyd.

This should be better because of the availability of
film from this era.

On a side note, I saw Dan Rather's Big Interview
with Carly Simon
last night that was very interesting.
It's on AXS TV is anyone cares to watch.
Old 11-17-2016, 12:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Watched both episodes two and three now,
can't say I'm impressed. And I usually love
this type of show. I'm very surprised by this.

I'm trying to be nice, but did anyone else notice
in episode two who was complaining? I was such
a huge fan of this person but with each passing
year...
Old 11-17-2016, 02:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Reno Gazette Journal Mike Hughes 9:06 p.m. PST November 14, 2016

http://www.rgj.com/story/life/2016/1...-pbs/93814506/

TONIGHT'S MUST-SEE: “Soundbreaking,” 10 p.m., PBS.

How much studio time does it take to make a record? The Beatles first album (that's 14 songs) took 12 hours, we're told here; The Beach Boys' “Good Vibrations” (one song) took 90 hours.

And now some perfectionists spend even longer, searching for just the right riff. This second chapter in a terrific, eight-part series traces the history of extreme production. It goes back to Les Paul creating multi-tracks, turning his wife into a 20-voice chorus. It visits the triumphs – “Sgt. Pepper,” “Pet Sounds” -- and lets Lindsey Buckingham gamely defend the excesses of Fleetwood Mac's “Tusk.”
Old 11-19-2016, 02:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Anyone enjoying this series?
Old 11-19-2016, 10:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It was on Dutch TV this spring, very interesting if you are a music-addict ... cannot recall what Lindsey contributed though ...
Old 11-28-2016, 09:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Anyone who has an Apple TV or Roku can watch this show through the PBS app. I found the Painting With Sound episode to be mostly a retread of classic rock history, but I still enjoyed it nonetheless.

The Painting With Sound episode focused on how multi track recording led to ever more elaborate and experimental albums which changed the very fabric of popular music. The Beatles Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band album was predictably hailed as the pinnacle of what multi track recording wrought. Equally as predictable, Tusk was derided as the cautionary tale of how multi track recording led to excess and decay. The cherry on the top was naturally Stevie herself making fun of Lindsey's experimentation. For those hoping to see something new or vindicating about Fleetwood Mac or Tusk, you won't find it here. Still, this is a worthwhile watch, even if it's summations feel woefully dated.
Old 11-28-2016, 11:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

What the heck has he been up to? That guy will go years without giving any news to his fan(s)