The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 05-30-2019, 09:48 AM
sleepless child's Avatar
sleepless child sleepless child is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 547
Default

Thanks for finding this. I preordered it. I really liked Kens book on Rumours. I don't doubt that this will be as a good a read too.
__________________

I have changed, but you remain ageless
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-30-2019, 10:43 AM
aleuzzi's Avatar
aleuzzi aleuzzi is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 4,142
Default

On every issue of TUSK that I own, which includes an original album pressing, a cassette, the first cd pressing, then the remastered and extended RHINO package, the language is this:

"Produced by Fleetwood Mac (special thanks from the band to Lindsey Buckingham) with Richard Dashut & Ken Caillat"

I do not know why anyone is suggesting otherwise. But it is clear from the TUSK doc and from all aural evidence that LB is the producer--with some creative assistance from Christine McVie and a lot of technical assistance from Dashut and Caillat.

Last edited by aleuzzi; 05-30-2019 at 10:45 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-30-2019, 06:22 PM
elle's Avatar
elle elle is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: DC
Posts: 11,021
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
On every issue of TUSK that I own, which includes an original album pressing, a cassette, the first cd pressing, then the remastered and extended RHINO package, the language is this:

"Produced by Fleetwood Mac (special thanks from the band to Lindsey Buckingham) with Richard Dashut & Ken Caillat"

I do not know why anyone is suggesting otherwise. But it is clear from the TUSK doc and from all aural evidence that LB is the producer--with some creative assistance from Christine McVie and a lot of technical assistance from Dashut and Caillat.
maybe because some of her followers are as ditzy or as uncaring about any actual facts as the ignorant diva they are following?
__________________

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-30-2019, 06:39 PM
aleuzzi's Avatar
aleuzzi aleuzzi is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 4,142
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
maybe because some of her followers are as ditzy or as uncaring about any actual facts as the ignorant diva they are following?
It would have to be a willing denial of printed matter. That is strange. I mean, I couldn’t care less how it was actually credited on the album but it was credited in a specific way.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-03-2019, 01:37 AM
StevieandChris StevieandChris is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 383
Default

150 pages in and loving the book.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 12-07-2019, 10:34 AM
Kyle Kyle is offline
Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 58
Default

In the book, Ken says that Lindsey "had a persecution complex fueled by the drugs that his girlfriend was feeding him."

Certainly, Carol wasn't responsible for Lindsey's weed of cocaine use. In fact, I seem to remember both Lindsey and Carol saying that he didn't use cocaine whenever he wasn't with Fleetwood Mac.

I wonder what drugs Ken is referring to. With FM, it seems like we always get somewhere between 1% and 10% of the whole story.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 12-08-2019, 12:43 AM
michelej1 michelej1 is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: California
Posts: 25,151
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
In the book, Ken says that Lindsey "had a persecution complex fueled by the drugs that his girlfriend was feeding him."

Certainly, Carol wasn't responsible for Lindsey's weed of cocaine use. In fact, I seem to remember both Lindsey and Carol saying that he didn't use cocaine whenever he wasn't with Fleetwood Mac.

I wonder what drugs Ken is referring to. With FM, it seems like we always get somewhere between 1% and 10% of the whole story.
I seem to remember a Christine interview in the late eighties or early nineties where Christine said Lindsey was using weird drugs I think. But that was after Carol. I think Chris was talking about psychedelic drugs. Well, if she divulged that about him I guess I forgive him for telling the world she was “fragile”.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old Yesterday, 12:13 PM
Villavic's Avatar
Villavic Villavic is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Lima Peru
Posts: 2,927
Default



The CD I got in the early 90s is like this. The Deluxe edition includes the special thanks, too.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old Yesterday, 01:47 PM
aleuzzi's Avatar
aleuzzi aleuzzi is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 4,142
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I seem to remember a Christine interview in the late eighties or early nineties where Christine said Lindsey was using weird drugs I think. But that was after Carol. I think Chris was talking about psychedelic drugs. Well, if she divulged that about him I guess I forgive him for telling the world she was “fragile”.
...and in the recent documentary on CM, she volunteers info on Bob Welch being a "heroin junkie" the whole time he was with FM--though she "had no idea about this at the time." I'm not sure if that is accurate. He certainly struggled with heroin addiction later, but not sure if it happened between 1971-74. Life in Benifols seemed pretty close-quarters so it would have been hard for him to hide that from the band.

I guess if Welch and Weston could divulge to the world her long-kept secret affair with Martin Birch, then she could be forgiven for sharing the heroin junkie info.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old Yesterday, 01:49 PM
aleuzzi's Avatar
aleuzzi aleuzzi is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 4,142
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post


The CD I got in the early 90s is like this. The Deluxe edition includes the special thanks, too.
Yeah--sometimes doubters need actual pictorial evidence.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old Yesterday, 04:15 PM
David's Avatar
David David is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: California
Posts: 13,787
Default

Ken fictionalizes a lot of verbiage in the conversations in the Tusk book. I don’t have a problem with the fictionalizing as long as I trust the writer to nail the general spirit of the conversation, the day, or the experience (Stevie used to be very good at this in radio interviews). But in Ken’s case, it isn’t that I don’t trust him per se, it’s that I think he has developed a political perspective about the old Fleetwood Mac experiences over the years and wants to frame them his way. He has an agenda, whatever it is. So his conversations wind up sounding phony and mechanical. When someone’s pushing a narrative in a certain way, you get typos and non-facts, one right after the other. This is just from skimming the opening few pages on the Amazon preview:

“On September 16, 1978, construction began on our new custom-build studio on the edge of Santa Monica, a new addition to the renowned Village Recorder Studios, and by June, Studio D was complete.” [June 1979? The album was in mastering stage by then! When is chapter 1 actually set? It’s the band’s first day of recording in Studio D, which followed the 1978 tour, which ended late August.]

“Stevie had written it on the couch of Studio D, looking up from her journal occasionally and somehow ignoring Mick during the insanely long hours we spent in the control room.” [Hello? Is there any editor in the room? How could Stevie have written Storms at the Village Recorder when chapter 1 is about the band’s first day (or week) recording?]

“The next song on the tape was Sisters of the Moon, which I recalled from a few years back, written about her failing health on tour. The new voice-and-piano demo was depressing and not very exciting, but it would evolve into a rocker more like Gold Dust Woman. ‘That one’s gonna be ****ing great, Stevie!’ exclaimed Christine, an old rocker at heart, holding her cigarette in the same hand as her glass of burgundy. ‘We should play it live this summer. I’ll play the Rhodes on that.’ ” [Ken is really screwed up by now with his timeline. By the time the band convened at the Village to record, they had already toured and been playing Sisters of the Moon in concert. Stevie would have had no reason to demo it for the band at that point.]

“All of a sudden, Lindsey and Carol walked into the control room, looking as if they had been fighting. Most startling, though, was Lindsey’s extreme haircut. ‘Lindsey, what the hell did you do to your beautiful hair?’ Christine asked, clearly dumbfounded and anxious for his explanation.” [Christine toured with the clean-shaven Lindsey all summer in 1978 before recording started. The impulse to fabricate verbiage here has once again destroyed chronology and facts.]
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old Yesterday, 04:19 PM
David's Avatar
David David is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: California
Posts: 13,787
Default

Another boner a few sentences from where I left off reading:

“Then, he paused for declamatory effect, ‘I don’t want this to be another Rumours. I don’t want to make the same record twice like the Eagles did!’ ” [Lindsey is supposed to be referring here to The Long Run, which wasn’t released until September 1979, a few weeks prior to Tusk! He would have had no idea what was on the Eagles album as early as September 1978.]
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old Yesterday, 05:02 PM
Villavic's Avatar
Villavic Villavic is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Lima Peru
Posts: 2,927
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
[The impulse to fabricate verbiage here has once again destroyed chronology and facts.]
After reading your post I thought this book will be exactly like watching Boheman Rhapsody movie. An exciting read! You will enjoy it a lot! But the timeline accuracy is a disaster. Do not take that into account or you will ruin the experience.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old Today, 03:00 AM
HomerMcvie's Avatar
HomerMcvie HomerMcvie is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Indiana/Tennessee
Posts: 11,337
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
After reading your post I thought this book will be exactly like watching Boheman Rhapsody movie. An exciting read! You will enjoy it a lot! But the timeline accuracy is a disaster. Do not take that into account or you will ruin the experience.
Suspension of disbelief is difficult for many in this day and age.
__________________
I will CRUSH YOU!!!! KAREN BRING ME MY FLIP PHONE!
And I'm David, not Homer!(we all should be able to change our name, at least once)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

c1977 RUMOURS ERA FLEETWOOD MAC PROOF SHEET JOHN MCVIE & CURRY GRANT MID FINGER
$66.99
c1977 RUMOURS ERA FLEETWOOD MAC PROOF SHEET JOHN MCVIE & CURRY GRANT MID FINGER pictureWire Photo Famed British Bassist John McVie of Fleetwood Mac
$20.0
Wire Photo Famed British Bassist John McVie of Fleetwood Mac picturePress Photo Rock Bass Player John McVie of Fleetwood Mac
$20.0
Press Photo Rock Bass Player John McVie of Fleetwood Mac picture1977 Press Photo John McVie, British bass guitarist with Fleetwood Mac.
$19.99
1977 Press Photo John McVie, British bass guitarist with Fleetwood Mac. picture1977 Press Photo John McVie Drummer of Fleetwood Mack. - lrx01220
$16.99
1977 Press Photo John McVie Drummer of Fleetwood Mack. - lrx01220 picture



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
© 1995-2003 Martin and Lisa Adelson, All Rights Reserved