The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Tusk always makes me feel like I'm sitting by the fire in a small cabin with a loved one who's showing me photos from an album, sharing the good stories and the bad that go with each photograph. In my minds eye some of the photographs are the ones in the Tusk album sleeves and some contain individual images from the collages. And when it's all over we sit and bask in the glow of the dying embers and decide to take a walk, enjoying a night that we'll never forget.c

There are bands for whom I pretty much only listen to the singles. The Cure and Siouxsie and the Banshees are two of them. They each have one album that I like beginning to end but for the most part I only know the material from the singles collections they've put out. But both Fleetwood Mac and Stevie are opposite for me. While I do love their hits it's often the deep album cuts that I really get into. Sara and Rhiannon are both big favorites but I prefer demos and live versions way more to the studio cuts. However, Tusk is one of those albums that when I'm in the mood I have to play from beginning to end. I have a few songs in my FM playlist on my iPod but when I hear a song from Tusk by itself (even the studio version of Sara) it always sounds like I'm hearing an excerpt of a larger piece. I feel bad it wasn't as big a commercial success for the band but I'm kind of glad there wasn't a string of hits like there was for Rumors because it's helped keep the album as a whole cohesive unit. Just like when I hear the single mix of Another Brick in the Wall or Comfortably Numb on the radio, when the end of each song comes on my ear aches to hear the next part of the album.

Tusk may not be a full on concept album in the way Tommy or The Wall was, but to me it does take the listener through an amazing journey.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMagic View Post
For the record, I said that Tusk was a perfect album for the BN lineup. It is NOT the perfect album of all time.

Hey Truefaith77, awesome list. Liked your choices both strange and unexpected. Here's my still developing one though not definitive. It's mostly based on the fact I can listen to them all the time and never tire of them.

1. The Stooges Fun House - Best Rock and Roll album ever for no thrills rockin'
2. The Byrds Notorious Byrd Brothers
3. The Stone Roses Debut album
4. Roxy Music For Your Pleasure/Avalon - (Sorry couldn't give either up)
5. Bob Dylan - Oh Mercy (Along with the songs he left off the album which can be found on Bootleg Series Vol 1-3 and Tell Tale Signs (Box Set)
6. Bruce Springsteen Nebraska (along with outtakes that can be found on Tracks)
7. Motorhead Ace of Spades (Burnt out on title track but rest of album is perfection.
8. The Sundays Blind
9. New Order Substance
10. Marshall Crenshaw Field Day. (If you like power pop like The Raspberries, this 80's album is a masterpiece.)
10+ - Son House - The 1965 Recordings. One of the most underrated and greatest soulful blues singers. Jack White agrees obviously.

If anyone posts a list of their greatest albums that have come out in last 2 years will be happy to oblige with mine.

BTW Tusk isnt the greatest album ever. But for fleetwood Mac yes. Although Then Play On from the Peter Green lineup sort of tops it.
Thanks for the good word. I don't mean to nitpick, but I note that some have included Substance and others Discography on their lists. I consider those compilations, not albums proper. My fav New Order album proper is Brotherhood (1986) (following by, in preferential order: Waiting for the Sirens Call, Technique, Republic, Power Corruption & Lies, Get Ready, Low-Life, Movement). So Substance doesn't count because anything with "True Faith" (see my name) is obviously the greatest thing ever.

Oh, and I take your bait on the best albums of the 2010s! Here's my list so far as I plan my best of the decade list lol:

OLYMPIA, Bryan Ferry
MY BEAUTIFUL DARK TWISTED FANTASY, Kanye West
IT'S A BEAUTIFUL LIFE, Freebass
MICHAEL, Michael Jackson
BOYS OUTSIDE, Steve Mason

ECHOES, Will Young
WATCH THE THRONE, Kanye West & Jay-Z (aka The Throne)
VOYAGE, The Sound of Arrows
IN YOUR DREAMS, Stevie Nicks
SEEDS WE SOW, Lindsey Buckingham

WORDS AND MUSIC BY SAINT ETIENNE, Saint Etienne
A JOYFUL NOISE, Gossip

To keep track as my list builds:

http://rateyourmusic.com/list/johnde..._of_the_2010s/

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.

Last edited by TrueFaith77; 08-16-2012 at 01:08 PM..
Old 08-17-2012, 08:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I thought I would never say this, but I'm not interested in seeing FM live again, only to hear the same set list with only one or two nuggets added in. I'm certainly not down on the Rumours tracks but the band sells us all short when they ignore the vast treasure trove of material that would transfer well to the stage. It's weird to think that we're a quarter century past the time when Rumours tracks in their set list should be down to no more than 3 or 4 (two hits and one deep cut).
Old 08-19-2012, 10:29 PM
Junior Ledgie

@On Ice- Trust me, you're not alone. Lindsey doing solo numbers is where you can see passion and fire. Same with Stevie

But when the band is together, you really get the sense of them going through the motions ALA Eagles. It seems so passionless. I even thought that watching the Dance era.

It seemed so blah compared to them live in the 70's and early 80's. I think the only way for them to truly sound alive again on stage is doing deeper and obscurer cuts. Oh and more recent music might help too

The Mac really could learn a thing or two from Bruce Springsteen live. He does deeper cuts as well as recent material. And also a couple of hits to please the casual fans. His shows run from 3 to 4 hours. You can tell he still loves what he does. His setlist changes from night to night. I will always pay the highest dollar if required to see him as he always respects his fans by doing something different.

Is there a website or email we can communicate to the Mac or their management that the fans are tired of greatest hits setlists? That we want something a little deeper?

@TrueFaith - I love New Order so much it is hard to pick an album. So I wussed and picked the compilation.

My favorite recent albums are as follows

The Jayhawks Mockingbird Time
Neil Young Le Noise
MGMT Congratulations
Hot Chip One Life Stand
The Generationals Actor-Castor
School of Seven Bells Ghostory
Garbage Not Your Kind of People
Electric Guest Mondo
Patti Smith Banga
Randy Newman Harps and Angels
Fiona Apple The Idler Wheel is Wiser
Leonard Cohen Old Ideas
Jack White Blunderbuss
Talib Kweli Gutter Rainbows
The Roots Undun
Bruce Springsteen Wrecking Ball

As this list will atest, people will probably think I'm a schizoid freak. But I love all kinds of music and variety is the spice of life..
Old 08-20-2012, 11:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

@greenmagic, we have different taste but here's my review of the Cohen's OLD IDEAS:

http://cityarts.info/2012/02/15/thro...deas%e2%80%99/

As one of our fellow Ledgies put it, this review evidences about my writing/thinking: "The fact is that he has no point and cannot make arguments rooted in fact. Or, at best, he is simply incapable of articulating a cogent argument that deals with the issue at hand."

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.

Last edited by TrueFaith77; 08-20-2012 at 12:02 PM..
Old 08-21-2012, 01:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

But Tusk doesn't sound like a strong band album in many songs. Not like the White and Rumours albums. There are many "solo" songs from Lindsey, and there are songs where you can't listen Chris, Stevie or Lindsey doing harmonies. At Storms I can listen Lindsey, but not Chris. Maybe I'm wrong and she is there at harmonies but it's almost inperceptible, it's not like her voice in Dreams. Or Stevie in Oh Daddy. I'm not saying everybody has to sing in all songs but their presence should be noticeable in enough songs to feel it's a band album and not a collage of songs.

So I can't say I feel Tusk like a strong, cohesive album. There are lot of Lindsey solo works in Tusk, for example, and that's described in Mick's book:

"All right, Lindsey," I finally had to say. "Where is this gonna end? What do you want? What's the compromise going to be?" The usually reticent Mr. Buckingham had a ready answer. "What I want to do is some serious recording at home. Sometimes I'm at the studio and I can't quite bridge the gap between the sounds I'm hearing in my head and the music I'm actually able to get on tape. Other times I'd like to play some of the other parts myself, like drums or the bass line, but I feel too intimidated to ask you and John to let me. It boils down to this I want to do some of the work at home."
The result was that some of Lindsey's things were recorded in his basement at home. Some of the rhythm tracks are Lindsey banging on shoeboxes. Some of the vocals were overdubbed on his hands and knees in his bathroom. I understood what Lindsey was going through, but neither John nor Chris really appreciated this method. It was felt that this kind of segregation away from the caldron of traditional Fleetwood Mac group creativity in the studio was . . . unhealthy. Lindsey himself later speculated that he might have been selfish. On the other hand, he continued to labor in the studio as part of our regular production team.

That doesn't sound to me like a perfect album. Not a perfect band album at least.

Last edited by Villavic; 08-21-2012 at 01:46 PM..
Old 07-11-2013, 10:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Excerpt from an article about Daze, Nashville Scene
http://www.nashvillescene.com/nashvi...nt?oid=3458096

by Chris Parker July 11, 2013

Though more than half of Daze's 11 songs pass the six-minute mark, the record generally avoids the noodly autoeroticism of jam bands. Vile's a keen, admittedly obsessive craftsman, adding detail and melody in light, flaky layers that unfold with the unhurried grace of a scenic drive through a national park. One of his big inspirations was Fleetwood Mac's sprawling art-pop masterpiece, Tusk.

"Once I discovered it — must've been 2007 — I just listened to it over and over again, like while bottling beer," Vile tells the Scene. "It's like experimental classic rock. The whole album is like unconventional pop. And that's how I consider [Wakin' on a Pretty Daze]. I don't really consider any of it challenging exactly. It's a long song. Like the first song, [the nine-and-a-half minute] 'Wakin' on a Pretty Day,' that's like a pop song to me."
Old 07-13-2013, 09:06 AM
Junior Ledgie

tusk is also my favourite fm album- stevie's songs are perfection.

lindsey's production doesn't sound dated like on "mirage" when fm sounded like they were stuck in the 70s

christine's "brown eyes" is flawless.

the album is unpredictable, so it never gets stale
Old 07-13-2013, 09:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I love Tusk too. I didn't really start buying FM albums till like around 1982 or so because of my age, I was too young before and there were no record stores in my town. I pretty much was just hearing them on the radio and then starting tape recording off the radio.

So when I found Tusk, a double album, WOOOOO!!!! I was thrilled! And there are no bad songs on it (a few "odd" ones though), and many of my all time favorite songs are on it. I also loved all the photos on the inner sleeves. despite being disappointed in the actual album cover. That did not help sales any, I am sure. There absolutely should have been some amazing photo of the band showcasing the Chris and Stevie gorgeousness and the guys' handsomeness to help lure buyers, imo. I mean, all the Tusk photo sessions gave some awesome pictures! Whoever came up with the Tusk cover did not help the sales one bit.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
I also loved all the photos on the inner sleeves. despite being disappointed in the actual album cover. That did not help sales any, I am sure.
I agree with that. We've talked about the cover more, but not often in terms of the fact that might have lost them some sales.

You liked Rumours, the word of mouth you're hearing about Tusk doesn't initially grab you. Plus, it's a two-disc record and costs a little more, so you really are on the fence about buying, but if it had a different album cover showcasing the band whose soap opera had been in the news, that might have spurred a few of the indecisive into buying.

I am certainly into the Mirage cover. I would have bought the album anyway, but the cover, front and back, was a strong incentive. Michele
Old 07-13-2013, 04:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Tusk is probably my fav FM album. However not perfect. Simple answer if i have to skip tracks it ain't perfect. by that thinking......they've yet to make a perfect album, imo

Mick

-Tom Waits
Old 07-14-2013, 03:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default I love Tusk..

"could you ever need me.... and would you know how?"
Old 07-14-2013, 03:31 AM
Keith
This message has been deleted by Keith.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Don't know if Green Magic is still around but reading this thread makes me want to try Tusk again (I do have the 1990s CD still). Tastes change.

Also boggled to see someone who picks The Sundays' Blind as their best as it's the one by them I found most disappointing. I definitely agree about Syd Barrett being great but always found Rick Wright's material worth hearing too. There was a lot of pretentiousness in '70s rock albums, but taking some thinnish ingredients and puffing it up to capital A art dates to Sgt. Pepper probably, that the media went nuts over it and not Revolver is why.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes, for me Tusk is the perfect Fleetwood Mac album too. I first listened to it just last year! I'm a bit of a newcomer to Fleetwood Mac...when the Rumours lineup was touring the globe for The Dance, I was 4 years old and in preschool! I wish I had properly discovered the band in time to attend Unleashed and In Your Dreams Australian concerts...alas, oh well.

I especially love The Ledge, Not that Funny, What Makes You Think You're the One, That's Enough for me, Angel, Beautiful Child, Storms, Over and Over, Think About me, Never Forget.

What strikes me about Tusk is how it never ceases to surprise you, how each track sounds completely unique; and that jarring effect of some of Lindsey's songs juxtaposed next to Christine's - going from the slow, gentle Over and Over into the jumpy, frentic yet upbeat The Ledge, for example. And as someone else said, the album really does tell a story. Stevie's pride at writing Angel "a pure rock and roll song" with "edgeiness" is so cute (Tusk doco). That song really says something about her and Lindsey and their relationship at that time 1979. And it was before they absolutely loathed each other and before they had been out of each other's lives for the better part of the decade (as in before SYW/Unleashed tours where the relationship between Lindsey and Stevie was still strained and mainly just a business partnership) -so Stevie singing "I still look up when you walk in the room" sounds genuine and heartfelt.

In 2013 Stevie singing "You are a song for me melody, ingrained in my soul. Where would I be without you?" to Lindsey just sounds...untrue; a vocal performance without raw genuine emotion.

There's The Ledge (is it about Carol Ann Harris?) Beautiful Child - about Stevie's affair with The Beatles tour manager. Lindsey hitting back at Stevie perhaps with WMYTYTO. Chris' touching rendition of Over and Over...who knows who she wrote that about?

But Tusk just draws me in, as the listener I feel a part of the band's inner circle...it is beautiful and creative storytelling at its best. Unbeatable. For me, one of the greatest albums of all time, up there (right in the top 3) with my other favourites like Rod Stewart's Every Picture Tells a Story, The B-52s Cosmic Thing, Sheryl Crow's Tuesday Night Music Club, Train's Drops of Jupiter, Tegan and Sara's The Con, Laura Marling's Once I Was an Eagle.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:32 PM
Senior Ledgie

Tusk was a sign of courage, an escape from the pattern of making records watching carefully the sales. It was Lindsey's artistic integrity textured with the approach of a band that had an established style of playing music. Nothing to recriminate about the different aim of making a record that was vital for the group.
Of course, making a record that goes a different way makes all more difficult, more inaccesible to the mainstream audience. But, everytime I listen, as eccentric it may be, to this album, "Tusk", I melt, a great demonstration of how FM were great:

Maybe it's difficult to apprecciate all the songs, or to catalogate, them in a historical importance as the ones on Rumours, but in my opinion, few would have tried something so risky after a mega-selling success.

For me Tusk is the best album the band has ever done, not perfect for a way of defining, artistic cohesiveness. Maybe it seems a Lindsey's solo album, and in part it's true, but the whole journey going on ,everytime I listen to it, makes me forget everything.

" Mi dicono alla radio statti calmo statti buono,
non esser scalmanato stai tranquillo e fatti uomo,
ma io con la mia guerra voglio andare sempre avanti,
e costi quel che costi la vinceṛ non ci son santi. "