Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-08-2006, 10:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default "Got A Hold On Me" on YouTube

Someone just recently added Christine's "Got A Hold On Me" video to YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCt0W...istine%20mcvie
Old 06-08-2006, 12:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57
Thanks for locating and posting!
Old 06-08-2006, 03:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCt0W...istine%20mcvie
I always thought Christine looked so casual yet elegant on this studio video. I wish she had carried over this particular look throughout the year, including the promo photography & the tour itself. I don't know why she instead decided to do her makeup like Nefertiti. Chris was walking like an Egyptian four or five years before the Bangles were recommending it!

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 06-08-2006, 06:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
I always thought Christine looked so casual yet elegant on this studio video. I wish she had carried over this particular look throughout the year, including the promo photography & the tour itself. I don't know why she instead decided to do her makeup like Nefertiti. Chris was walking like an Egyptian four or five years before the Bangles were recommending it!
I think she looked great in that laserdisc documentary too. A casual Christine always looks best, in my opinion.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:41 PM
Ledgie

Thanks for the post. Every time I listen to "Friend," I'm struck by how Christine sings "been" with the distinct English pronunciation of "bean" ("before the first love song had ever 'bean' sung.") I wondered if she had always used that pronunciation, wracking my brain for any other examples. In "Got A Hold On Me," she definitely uses the American pronunciation of "been."
Old 06-09-2006, 05:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrK
Thanks for the post. Every time I listen to "Friend," I'm struck by how Christine sings "been" with the distinct English pronunciation of "bean" ("before the first love song had ever 'bean' sung.") I wondered if she had always used that pronunciation, wracking my brain for any other examples. In "Got A Hold On Me," she definitely uses the American pronunciation of "been."
Back in 1984, she'd been pretty Americanized having lived in the U.S. for quite a while. Now she's back home in England, maybe that would explain the English pronunciation of "been" in Friend. I'd actually never noticed this before.
Old 06-09-2006, 07:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Back in 1984, she'd been pretty Americanized having lived in the U.S. for quite a while. Now she's back home in England, maybe that would explain the English pronunciation of "been" in Friend. I'd actually never noticed this before.
I didn't know there was a difference!

Can someone explain this to me?

Gail
Old 06-09-2006, 08:05 AM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailh
I didn't know there was a difference!

Can someone explain this to me?

Gail
Here in the US we sort of pronounce that word the way you guys say 'bin' . IMO Chris does sound very British in her pronunciation of 'bean' on Friend.

-Lis
Old 06-09-2006, 08:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePenguin
Here in the US we sort of pronounce that word the way you guys say 'bin' . IMO Chris does sound very British in her pronunciation of 'bean' on Friend.

-Lis
Ah suddenly everything is clear!

In my normal everyday (sloppy) speach I would say bin

Perhaps Christine was trying to pronounce in the proper English manner Quite right too! (Resists temptation to burst in Land of Hope and Glory)

Sorry about that it's just that it's very hot in this (non air-conditioned) office today and I've had a horrible week and I want to go home.

Gail

Last edited by Gailh; 06-09-2006 at 09:21 AM..
Old 06-09-2006, 11:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrK
I think her producer on the 1984 record, Russ Titleman, probably encouraged her to pronounce words "like an American."

She and her nephew, both Brits, probably didn't even notice her pronunciation. Whatever the case, I LOVE when she pronounces been as "bean" in "Friend." It's so damn charming and -- because I make this association with the British "accent" -- elegant.
Old 06-09-2006, 01:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Chris was walking like an Egyptian four or five years before the Bangles were recommending it!
I always knew she ahead of her time!

Actually I think her hair looks a bit of a mess in this video

Gail
Old 06-09-2006, 01:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi
I think her producer on the 1984 record, Russ Titleman, probably encouraged her to pronounce words "like an American."

She and her nephew, both Brits, probably didn't even notice her pronunciation. Whatever the case, I LOVE when she pronounces been as "bean" in "Friend." It's so damn charming and -- because I make this association with the British "accent" -- elegant.
I've just listened to Friend for about the (4 millionth time) and I do hear "been" but I think it has to be like that to fit in properly because "bin" would be too short. I don't know if that makes any sense.

I'm sure there's some proper musical explanation for this.

I bet she says "bin" in her normal everyday speach - I bin watchin the telly instead of I have been watching the television for example.

Gail
Old 06-09-2006, 04:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I've just listened to Friend for about the (4 millionth time) and I do hear "been" but I think it has to be like that to fit in properly because "bin" would be too short. I don't know if that makes any sense.

I'm sure there's some proper musical explanation for this.

I bet she says "bin" in her normal everyday speach - I bin watchin the telly instead of I have been watching the television for example.

Gail
I'm going to have to keep my ears open when I listen to any of her interviews now. I'd like to know if she pronounces been...."bean" or "bin".
Old 06-09-2006, 05:38 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
I'm going to have to keep my ears open when I listen to any of her interviews now. I'd like to know if she pronounces been...."bean" or "bin".
Let us know what you hear.
Old 06-10-2006, 02:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Gail
Your explanation makes a lot of musical sense to me. I suspect you're talking about duration, which affects the way one pronounces vowels in speech and in song. As a writer, reader, and teacher of poetry, this issue crops up in class discussions more than you'd think.