Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
In Your Dreams is a sympathy lay...
Old 04-09-2015, 05:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzo View Post
IYD was full of songs basically created by Dave Stewart and it therefore seems so much less Stevie than other work of hers. It also has no "wow" track to me, just a flat glossy sheen of Dave pop and often tortured Stevie lyrics. 24KG on the other hand is wall to wall Stevie interpreted straight up. It has several "wow" moments and takes you back to what makes you love her. The songs and voice.
Old 04-10-2015, 07:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
IYD was full of songs basically created by Dave Stewart and it therefore seems so much less Stevie than other work of hers. It also has no "wow" track to me, just a flat glossy sheen of Dave pop and often tortured Stevie lyrics. 24KG on the other hand is wall to wall Stevie interpreted straight up. It has several "wow" moments and takes you back to what makes you love her. The songs and voice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenstein View Post
I'm partial to Stevie's older songwriting rather than her modern writing, so that's also a major factor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by soul_drifter333 View Post
IYD only has a couple of songs that I can bear to listen to. Even the documentary is tiresome and self indulgent.
^^^ Agreed with all these statements, but wanted to add that IYD actually does have some "wow" tracks for me, personally - number one being "Everybody Loves You" with its chilling string bridge, guitar solo and verse lyrics. The only thing about the song that is marred is the lyrics to the chorus, which we all know Stevie didn't write. But it is my second favorite song on the record, number one being "Moonlight" and number three being "Secret Love"...and I suppose that's what Frankenstein and I have in common because they are both "vault" songs. I guess I just haven't been really knocked out with a "freshly written" or "new, non vault" song that she has written. "Italian Summer", musically, is incredible. Lyrically, not so much.

And I think that's my MAIN complaint with IYD. 90% of the songs that I enjoy listening to are marred by SOMETHING, most often because of the lyrics.

And don't even get me started on the documentary. That's a whole different thread/rant!

I understand people not liking 24KG because of the raw, rushed, non-glossy aspects of the way that they pretty much HAD to do it. But to me, I LIKE THAT about the record. And what are the two songs I can't stand? "Carousel" (not written by Stevie) and "I Don't Care" (verses written in 2014 by Stevie).

"Starshine"
"IYWML"
"Mabel"
"24 Karat Gold"
"Belle Fleur"
"ATBW"
"Watch Chain"
"Blue Water" (it has grown on me something fierce )
"Hard Advice"

^^^ All nine of these songs are "winners" for me personally. IYD has only five "winners", and two of them are tainted with questionable lyric choices.

Sorry to make this post into a NOVEL ( ya'll know me, though) but I get all worked up when it comes to Miss Nicks and her music. I guess I just should have simply said, "I like 24KG better than IYD."
Old 04-10-2015, 09:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman408 View Post
So, which do you prefer?

IYD felt like a NEW album, 24 felt like a rehash. I've maybe listened to it 5 times. A couple good tracks on the deluxe version which wasn't available in stores, which stunk. What do you think?

Much Love,
Ethan
I must agree. "In Your Dreams" was on rotation at my house for about a year. While there are some wonderful moments on "24K GOLD", it died pretty quickly for me. It all feels rushed to me.

Thus, I'm for team "In Your Dreams".
Old 04-12-2015, 02:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post
I must agree. "In Your Dreams" was on rotation at my house for about a year. While there are some wonderful moments on "24K GOLD", it died pretty quickly for me. It all feels rushed to me.

I love In Your Dreams. I don't see any level of distinction in the lyrical quality in comparison to any of her previous work. It's a worthy edition to her musical legacy.

24 Karat Gold was recorded in such a atypical manner. It may sound rushed because it was rushed. But that only means it's more spontaneous, and less labored, thus, it has a more rustic feel to it. It's a nice variant to her usual approach.

No Sophie's choice here. I like both equally.
Old 04-12-2015, 03:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post

I wonder if some of you didn't know the album was recorded that quickly if you would feel that way or make that criticism.

24K Gold feels Tangible and real to me.

In Your Dreams is almost too polished. I like the album but it's like looking through a window and wishing you could buy something that you could never get.
Old 04-12-2015, 09:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

People dismissing "24K" just because it was recorded and on the shelves in a fairly short time is ridiculous....

To use Mick's recent quote "LESS IS MORE" and I think it holds true with "24K"
Old 04-13-2015, 03:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
I think that some fans marinated in the demos for too long. If they weren't so used to the demos, some of which are just god-awful, they would of liked this album a whole lot better. Too much bias against 24K to give it a fair shake by some people.
You are so right with that. Spot on articulation!
Old 04-13-2015, 03:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I love both but I'd give the nod to IYD.
Old 04-13-2015, 03:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWILDheart View Post
For me, this is easy, IYD hands down. 24kg is such a half-assed rush job of songs she didn't know what else to do with and it shows when listening to the album. The muddy production, mixing and distorted and muffled vocals just make it worse. Aside from a few songs, I never listen to it and prefer 90% of the original demo's over the finished tracks.
Actually considering that Stewart produced both I find it odd that it would be that different from IYD production-wise. I don't hear it as being super different.
Old 04-13-2015, 03:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Absolutely. That is what has affected "fan" appreciation of a lot of Stevie's other work too. How often do we hear that the demo was better the demo was better the demo was better.
I have rarely listened to Stevie's demos but the one place where I would say "the demo is better" is "If You Were My Love". The 'Mirage' take with its jaunty chorus has more of a hook then the very slow (and imo somewhat boring) version on 24KG.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:22 PM
Senior Ledgie

I have more absolute favorites on In Your Dreams than 24 Karat Gold but I think the best song on 24 Karat Gold is better than the best song on IYD so I'm confused as hell.

In the end, I went with In Your Dreams because there are more songs I couldn't live without (In Your Dreams, For What It's Worth, Moonlight, Annabelle Lee, Secret Love) compared to 24 Karat (Mabel Normand, Blue Water, 24 Karat Gold, All The Beautiful Worlds). I'm already second-guessing my decision. I guess if there was a "tied" option, that's the one I'd choose.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machu View Post
I have more absolute favorites on In Your Dreams than 24 Karat Gold but I think the best song on 24 Karat Gold is better than the best song on IYD so I'm confused as hell.

In the end, I went with In Your Dreams because there are more songs I couldn't live without (In Your Dreams, For What It's Worth, Moonlight, Annabelle Lee, Secret Love) compared to 24 Karat (Mabel Normand, Blue Water, 24 Karat Gold, All The Beautiful Worlds). I'm already second-guessing my decision. I guess if there was a "tied" option, that's the one I'd choose.
Tied is a fair option. Threads like this are just a benign means to stimulate a conversation, not an obligation.
Old 04-14-2015, 03:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabruns View Post
I have rarely listened to Stevie's demos but the one place where I would say "the demo is better" is "If You Were My Love". The 'Mirage' take with its jaunty chorus has more of a hook then the very slow (and imo somewhat boring) version on 24KG.
If You Were My Love is my favorite song on 24K. I would not call it boring at all. I would say the song takes time to build its case and has a real emotional payoff. It's very sophisticated, unusual and one of the best ballads of her career.