User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-26-2009, 08:13 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by markolas View Post

It's interesting to me that what people are remembering is his musical talent, and not so much his grotesque personal life; I think it's unfortunate that it took him dying for that to happen, tho. And I say that as someone who was never a fan of his music.
I honestly don't think people realize that he came from an abusive father , with 9 living in a small home and the fact he became the cash cow very quickly once he fought his way to prove he was star material.

Of corse, I don't know all his personal stories, but the obvious does stand out. He was a young boy that was forced to grow into an adult world without much say in how his earnings would go.

On a real personal note, I am so sorry if back pain lead him to over take pain meds for relief. I understand lumbar and cervical nerve damage that can take over thoughts from the grueling pain...........I certaintly hope he is pain free and in the peaceful overside now............
Old 06-26-2009, 10:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseGarden View Post
I honestly don't think people realize that he came from an abusive father , with 9 living in a small home and the fact he became the cash cow very quickly once he fought his way to prove he was star material.

Of corse, I don't know all his personal stories, but the obvious does stand out. He was a young boy that was forced to grow into an adult world without much say in how his earnings would go.
And that's not a unique story, there are several children artists that suffered the same. Most of them didn't have a normal adult life. But Michael was the most known example.

Rest in peace Michael. I loved your music in the 80s, dissapointed about your personal life/decisions during the 90s, but you were a great artist anyway.
Old 06-27-2009, 12:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by markolas View Post
It's interesting to me that what people are remembering is his musical talent, and not so much his grotesque personal life.
I'm remembering the impact on my life and childhood. The Jackson Five and later MJ were huge. As I said before, losing MJ and Farrah in one day is quite a jolt for any 70's child. Much has been said about the other stuff. I just don't want to go there right now. I'd rather just linger a bit in memories of a golden time when it seemed things were simpler and yet quite magical.
Old 06-27-2009, 12:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseGarden View Post
I
On a real personal note, I am so sorry if back pain lead him to over take pain meds for relief. I understand lumbar and cervical nerve damage that can take over thoughts from the grueling pain...........I certaintly hope he is pain free and in the peaceful overside now............
I think it started with the burns he got while doing that Pepsi commercial.
Old 06-27-2009, 02:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

RIP Michael and deep gratitudes for your wonderful legacy of music.

He was a true musical genius and a tortured soul who many tried to save and couldn't. My heart mourns for this tragedy. I loath the enablers and those who contributed to his emotional and physical demise, this is the price of their ignorance.
Old 06-27-2009, 03:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Some of Jackson's early tracks have something in common with Fleetwood Mac: intricate orchestration in which some instruments are used to simulate other instruments or sounds.
There's a lot of bands I don't like that have something in common wit FM. His voice gave me the creeps.

Old 06-27-2009, 03:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
Hate it or love it, he practically invented the genre of big theatrical dance pop music- copied today by Madonna, Justin Timberlake, Beyonce, etc.
Well, the answer is: Hate it. All of it that he invented. I guess I really don't like big theatrical dance-pop-music.

I can see how the guy was a big influence, performer, and what an icon it was, but I would have liked it if he had taken the chance to make a " Tusk" and not again and again make slight variations on his dancepopsongs.

Old 06-27-2009, 06:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It's sooo sad that Michael died...he was a king!!! He had such a huge talent and he was amazing!! I watched a documentary about his life yesterday. It was a really great documentary...And awww, he was soooo cute when he hadn't done those face operations! When he was little...it's sad that he distroied himself that much. I think that he wasn't a happy person...But he had that amazing talent that a few people have, the dancing and singing...R.I.P Michael Jackson...

Old 06-27-2009, 08:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara1998 View Post
You're just kidding yourself. To say that MJ isn't as significant to music is to say that the grass is orange.
I think your majorly kidding yourself to take his death to the level that he was as influential to music as elvis was. Maybe it's because he's so recent by comparison and it's hard to remember music before elvis and what his role was. There's a reason that he was the king and MJ was the king of pop. I love MJ and I'm not a big fan of elvis but that's insane to think he's as influential as elvis was. Elvis gave the world rock 'n' roll and if you calculate all the record sales, dance moves and stage spectaculars it still doesn't amount up to giving the whole world rock 'n' roll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skcin View Post
I see your point. So how do you feel about Kurt Cobain? The "grunge" music scene certainly wasn't created by him alone, but Nirvana sure as hell had a lot to do with bringing it into the mainstream.
Yeah grunge wouldn't have been what it was without him but I guess the difference is that it's a small particular pocket of music and also a kind of redo of punk which went before it. So he was like the elvis of a much smaller part of music whereas elvis was the beginning of pretty much popular modern music in general.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
Well I feel sorry for his family and fans. But I hated the **** out of him. The only good thing ever on a Michael Jackson record was those thrilling ten seconds from Eddie van Halen.

He represented everything I despised during my youth. During Thriller I was still listening to Tusk everyday and I was into Iggy Pop, Talking Heads and discovering Led Zep and CCR because I was too young during their heydays. Michael just was the enemy. I'll miss him for that.
I looooove iggy pop and talking heads are one my favourites ever but I like MJ quite a lot too. I don't know how you could hate him personally. But I guess I hate a lot of modern artists but you have to give him credit for creating new creative pathways that the modern artists aren't doing unless you call strip shows with background music the new creative pathway.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

In case you missed it, there is an interview that Sheryl Crow did on CNN about Michael:

http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/sho...ckson.reax.cnn
Old 06-27-2009, 01:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubytuesday View Post
I think your majorly kidding yourself to take his death to the level that he was as influential to music as elvis was. Maybe it's because he's so recent by comparison and it's hard to remember music before elvis and what his role was. There's a reason that he was the king and MJ was the king of pop. I love MJ and I'm not a big fan of elvis but that's insane to think he's as influential as elvis was. Elvis gave the world rock 'n' roll and if you calculate all the record sales, dance moves and stage spectaculars it still doesn't amount up to giving the whole world rock 'n' roll.
Yet it's pretty fair to say that if you take Michael Jackson out of the equation, we would be without a lot of people who found their way to entertainment. Not just songwriters or singers, but he had such a huge influence in the world of dance. He may not have had the influence that Elvis had in terms of bringing forth a new genre (even that is debatable when you consider how iconic many elements of his style and performance became) but he definitely comes close to having the impact and influence that Elvis had in terms of touching a huge span of people. Outside of Elvis and the Beatles, I'm not sure there are many other people who reach that scope of impact.

Last edited by bucklind17; 06-27-2009 at 01:18 PM..
Old 06-27-2009, 02:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucklind17 View Post
Yet it's pretty fair to say that if you take Michael Jackson out of the equation, we would be without a lot of people who found their way to entertainment. Not just songwriters or singers, but he had such a huge influence in the world of dance. He may not have had the influence that Elvis had in terms of bringing forth a new genre (even that is debatable when you consider how iconic many elements of his style and performance became) but he definitely comes close to having the impact and influence that Elvis had in terms of touching a huge span of people. Outside of Elvis and the Beatles, I'm not sure there are many other people who reach that scope of impact.
In his day (1940's - 70's), Frank Sinatra, was equal in mass appeal as Elvis and the Beatles in their time.
Old 06-27-2009, 02:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucklind17 View Post
I would have to say that on an international scale love them or hate them ABBA has also come close to that impact.

Old 06-27-2009, 02:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
There's a lot of bands I don't like that have something in common wit FM. His voice gave me the creeps.
When he was a youngster, he had a great R&B voice: pliable, pyrotechnic, swinging.

As an adult, he developed a series of mannerisms -- hiccups, warbly vibrato, breathiness -- that marred his singing, to my ears.

moviekinks.blogspot.com