The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It's so sad to know how much pain went unhealed, how many internal conflicts remained unresolved. I suppose if he had lived a 100 years, he never would have assuaged that pain or solved those conflicts, as he embodied (literally) the anxieties of the era. Ironically, he also found the pop language (the groove, the spectacle that drew from any and all sources and cultures) that the entire world recognized and shared. He would utilize that language of universal appeal to express those very anxieties, ever refining that approach, culminating with, to my ear/heart/mind, his best work: HIStory (1995) and Blood On The Dance Floor (1997). How many people had their formative art experiences with Michael Jackson? How many people had their first experiences of racism or homophobia directed at Michael Jackson? How many people loved him? He showed us who we are, even as he struggled to find himself. May he rest in peace.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
He showed us who we are, even as he struggled to find himself.
Nicely put.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
It's so sad to know how much pain went unhealed, how many internal conflicts remained unresolved. I suppose if he had lived a 100 years, he never would have assuaged that pain or solved those conflicts, as he embodied (literally) the anxieties of the era. Ironically, he also found the pop language (the groove, the spectacle that drew from any and all sources and cultures) that the entire world recognized and shared. He would utilize that language of universal appeal to express those very anxieties, ever refining that approach, culminating with, to my ear/heart/mind, his best work: HIStory (1995) and Blood On The Dance Floor (1997). How many people had their formative art experiences with Michael Jackson? How many people had their first experiences of racism or homophobia directed at Michael Jackson? How many people loved him? He showed us who we are, even as he struggled to find himself. May he rest in peace.
What a beautiful post.. My sentiments here too.. RIP Michael..

There is magic all around you everytime you walk in the room.....
Old 06-26-2009, 12:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

So I am pretty sure while I was at work tonight. I was like BEMBARDED with like 20 text messages from friends saying that Michael Jackson died!! I was seriously like "YOU ****TING ME?" I called my mom because I knew she wasnt watching the news or TV...and I was like "Mom, Michael Jackson just ****in died!!"

Like I seriously dont believe it!! He was like one of the last people I'd expect to die so sudden. Its been such a loss this year in the entertainment business. Bea Arthur, Ed McMahn, Farrah Fawcett, Michael Jackson....its insane!

Even though Michael Jackson's personal life wasnt the best and he was a little messed up. You have to admit he's an amazing artist and performer. He was also gonna go on tour next month!! DAMN

R.I.P. Michael =\

~Love, Caitlin~
Old 06-26-2009, 01:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

This is an unprecedented tragedy. By any measures, Michael Jackson was the most famous person in the world. Hands down. Wow. I think one could argue that this is more momentous than Elvis' passing. Once in a generation...

That being said, I can't help but wonder why people on TV are dancing and smiling in front of the LA hospital. I mean, I can understand the notion of "celebrating one's life," but it seems downright morbid. If I didn't know better, I would have thought that Osama bin Laden had been found. Dead. As sad as this may sound... could it be that people had already written MJ off of their collective consciences- almost as if he was already dead to them? Could it be that they had already mourned the passing of the young, brown-skinned dancing machine years ago and were merely tolerating the eccentric, ashen scandal-plagued relic that took over his physical being in recent years?

Anyway, RIP, MJ. May you dance on the moon forever.
Old 06-26-2009, 06:05 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWS View Post
I think you're right. He bought his way out. What is it...three times he was brought for child molestation charges.
Well... I have read every possible book, article, interview from both sides of the case... And let me tell you, I wouldnt have remained a fan if I had the SLIGHTEST doubt about Mj's innocence. Weird, eccentric, strange-looking- yes. a child molester, a pedophile - not.
Old 06-26-2009, 06:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

they just said on the news, that billie jean has left the building~

i have to say i like they way this thread is going~ i know michael did bad things, i am not blind~ but other boards are reveling in his death & that breaks my heart~

does anyone remember the year michael was winning all the grammy's for thriller & during one of the latter wins, the cameras flashed on stevie nicks in the audience real quick & she was saying "oh wow"?~ i do~

Last edited by GODDESS6; 06-26-2009 at 07:57 AM..
Old 06-26-2009, 08:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Best comment I have read online in regards to MJ's passing:

"However, what I can't not say is how sickened I am to see the same 'media machine' hyenas that vilified Michael now proving themselves the ultimate hypocrites raving up his memory.

How do you people live with your selfish selves?"
Old 06-26-2009, 08:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
This is an unprecedented tragedy. By any measures, Michael Jackson was the most famous person in the world. Hands down. Wow. I think one could argue that this is more momentous than Elvis' passing. Once in a generation...
I don't think it's quite like that, as in he wasn't quite as significant to music but Elvis and john lennon are the only ones that come in as in a similar league.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubytuesday View Post
I don't think it's quite like that, as in he wasn't quite as significant to music but Elvis and john lennon are the only ones that come in as in a similar league.
You really don't think he was as significant to music? Wow. I'm not really a fan (of course, when I was 8 years old I was), but the guy did make history. Still has the top selling album of all time & has influenced countless musical artists & entertainers. I don't really care to compare artists or to try & rate which loss is more tragic, but I do think he was very important to music - just as important as Elvis & The Beatles. JMO.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

God Bless Michael Jackson!!!

Photobucket

Photobucket
Old 06-26-2009, 09:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

^^^and James Brown!

Also:

The Wow Jones Report posted the following. I can't watch them at work so cannot attest to the quality of the recording, but I was at the event.

Critic Armond White on Michael Jackson's LEGACY (Parts 1 and 2)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pdb5jEDFxSM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBe0Aeh_jO4

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skcin View Post
You really don't think he was as significant to music? Wow. I'm not really a fan (of course, when I was 8 years old I was), but the guy did make history. Still has the top selling album of all time & has influenced countless musical artists & entertainers. I don't really care to compare artists or to try & rate which loss is more tragic, but I do think he was very important to music - just as important as Elvis & The Beatles. JMO.
I hate to do the comparisons but he's the most significant artist since Elvis or the beatles but there's no way his impression on music is anything like those two. Without MJ we would still have pop music, without Elvis the whole modern era of music would be completely different. Elvis literally changed modern music, MJ just broke record sales etc. He didn't shape music like elvis or the beatles, so no, I don't think he's as significant but as I said, I think he's the most significant since those two and I highly doubt there'll be anyone as significant to come along after him.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Unhappy Mj

First of all, I have to say that I’m shocked like everyone else that he passed away. I knew he was kind of frail & really didn’t know how he was going to handle a big tour. I had though no idea though that he was abusing prescription drugs that I’ve just heard & didn’t know how much pain he was in with his back, etc. I feel for his family & his children. I was a big fan of his & his brothers growing up; I had posters of the Jacksons & the Osmonds all over my room. I still have Michael’s Off the Wall & Thriller albums. I probably wore them out. My niece (who is 27 now & will probably not remember this since she was so small) used to go around saying “Beat It” over & over again. Drove everyone nuts. Michael was so huge in the 80s, & I do think his music influenced other artists, maybe not like Elvis or The Beatles though, but to some extent. And then Michael just got strange, & of course the child molestation charges & I just started to not really like him personally. The only time you heard about him was when he was in the hospital having his plastic surgeries or moving to his next rented house. I was hoping his tour would kind of be his big comeback. But it wasn’t to be. And it is so hypocritical of the media who jumped all over him when he was brought up on the child molestation charges to now praise him & hype him up because they see how his fans are affected. And the fans are celebrating his music, dancing in the streets, a sort of tribute; I don’t think that is morbid at all. I think he would want that; to be remembered for his music. That is how I will remember him, for his music.

Lee
Old 06-26-2009, 09:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

At first, I thought it was another feigned illness as he often did that. Then, the news of his death, which was a shock. My life has been filled with glorious music for 40 or so years. RIP MJ

save the cheerleader - save the world