User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellyman10 View Post
The only problem with your friend's theory is the dozens of statements from Lindsey Buckingham over the years about how devastated he was when Stevie left him, how it took him at least a decade to even begin to get closure, and how her spectre wrecked his subsequent relationships.

Apart from that, yes, I'm sure she's deluded.
Oh, I'll disagree in part. I don't think Lindsey has made dozens of statements like that over the years. Of course, the fact that he doesn't dramatize like Stevie doesn't mean he feels any more or less than she does, but he doesn't obsessively discuss their past like she does and when he is asked about things like Don Henley sending her flowers or the "confession" that Mick and Stevie made to him about their affair, I do get the impression that Stevie has deluded herself about his jealousy or wanted his reaction to be more than it was.

Typically, for about 20 years he didn't talk about their romantic relationship much at all, except to discuss the need to compartmentalize emotions while working in the band. Then, after The Dance he did start talking. He seemed to be overcome with nostalgia at that point. He said she was more like the girl he used to live with. He told Mojo that he was devastated when she left, when asked about the New Zealand incident that he did not recall.

As you said, he mentioned the "spectre" of Stevie and even his wife was asked to comment on that for BTM, but I don't think he mentioned it more than once. Of course, introducing the song on the tour he did often say that he wrote Say Goodbye for Stevie when he left the band in 1987. So, yes, I would be with you in concluding that it took him 10 years to get to full closure, which goes along with her saying that it was during the Tango fight that they really broke up.

Usually, though, Lindsey's interviews are devoid of those kind of romantic observations and they don't prove that Stevie is not somewhat deluded to me. I can read much more of his feelings for Stevie into his Under The Skin song lyrics than I can in anything he has said in interviews.

As for her reaction to the family life he has now, she has said that seeing him with his children reminds her of the sweet person he used to be when she first knew him. But I think she was romanticizing their broken relationship long before he became a family man.

Michele
Old 04-05-2011, 07:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklinensuit View Post
For all we know they were the only two members still speaking to each other & willing to pose on that particular day. (I imagine even Stevie & Chris had their spats.)

- Jake
That's a funny thought! I can picture the photographer sitting and waiting for the band, and only Stevie and Mick show up. So he just says "this is all I have to work with? Alright...let's shoot this!"

Last edited by PenguinHead; 04-05-2011 at 07:22 PM..
Old 04-05-2011, 08:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Whatever the reason was, it worked.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragrsrocalot View Post
Whatever the reason was, it worked.
true, true! i love that damn album cover!
Old 04-06-2011, 11:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumidesigns View Post
true, true! i love that damn album cover!
I think it actually became one of the cover icons of the 70s, along with others people usually recognize, like the Saturday Night Fever cover, Breakfast in America, Dark side of the moon, etc..
Old 04-06-2011, 11:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
I think it actually became one of the cover icons of the 70s, along with others people usually recognize, like the Saturday Night Fever cover, Breakfast in America, Dark side of the moon, etc..
yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup!
Old 04-09-2011, 07:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
Has anybody ever read about WHY they chose Mick and Stevie to appear at the Rumours cover? I mean why just those two, why not Mick and John again, or why not the 5 members
I think this is one of those questions that actually has
a very simple answer:

Mick's the leader of the band, Stevie's gorgeous.
As in, terminally pretty.
Simple as that.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost_Tracker View Post
I think this is one of those questions that actually has
a very simple answer:

Mick's the leader of the band, Stevie's gorgeous.
As in, terminally pretty.
Simple as that.
I CAN DIG IT!
Old 04-10-2011, 07:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Maybe Ken will know something. What stands out is just the extreme difference in heights. Stevie's tiny anyhow (5' 1"?), but next to Mick, she's particularly short. It's sort of a follow up to the white album--John is NOT as short as the cover makes him out to be, but he looks dwarf-like. Maybe it's just to accent Mick's height. Anyone know why that cover was done like that?

It's every bit as odd as Rumours to me.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
I think it's more odd and unique.

Michele
Old 04-10-2011, 04:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Maybe Ken will know something. What stands out is just the extreme difference in heights. Stevie's tiny anyhow (5' 1"?), but next to Mick, she's particularly short. It's sort of a follow up to the white album--John is NOT as short as the cover makes him out to be, but he looks dwarf-like. Maybe it's just to accent Mick's height. Anyone know why that cover was done like that?

Oooooo thats some really deep symbolism there in the imagry. I never noticed John being so short before. And I remember buying that album back in the day when it came out, guess I never looked close or else I am getting like Stevie & not remembering!
Old 04-10-2011, 05:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't mind the Rumours cover but I do like the outtakes more than what was chosen as the cover. I esp like the pictures of Stevie with the Top hat on. I think those are better. Someone mentioned the back cover photos of all the band. Those are great too. I wished there has been a poster like that. If there was I've not ever seen one. I do have the group inside poster though. Just not the back LPCover poster at all. Not crazy about Tusk with the dog esp with all the cool outtake photos from the Tusk era feels like a let down and the blurry photo on the 'Live' cover is horrible. I also like the outtake photos to Mirage better than what was chosen too. Another LP with many outtakes never seen and NO tourbook either--stupid. Don't like Tango or Mask covers either. I don't like the Tango era anyway. Mask should've had the whole band on it esp after Lindsey's left. One way to show the new band members more. GHits from '88 not crazy about either. I do like the back photo though. I guess I don't like many of the covers really. Oh well, to each his own.
..."There is a legend passed down through the ages...down through the crystal visions...down through the crystal clear-water fountain...the charmed ones remain...They are mine (you remain...ooh)...."
Old 04-10-2011, 05:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgana View Post
Oooooo thats some really deep symbolism there in the imagry. I never noticed John being so short before. And I remember buying that album back in the day when it came out, guess I never looked close or else I am getting like Stevie & not remembering!
Yes, he appears to have his knees in his shoes.

Michele
Old 04-10-2011, 05:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by starshine View Post
I don't mind the Rumours cover but I do like the outtakes more than what was chosen as the cover. I esp like the pictures of Stevie with the Top hat on. I think those are better. Someone mentioned the back cover photos of all the band. Those are great too. I wished there has been a poster like that.
Thinking of back photos, I always loved the story that Herbie told of John approaching Lindsey and Lindsey being a bit wary because he didn't know what John was going to do. So, Lindsey tensed up when John came for him, but John actually hugged him when he got there. And Lindsey relaxed and hugged him back. That got to me.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by starshine View Post
the blurry photo on the 'Live' cover is horrible.
I want you to apologize to me for saying that, Sue, or I'll yell at you & call you names.

moviekinks.blogspot.com