User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
Christgau might be the (original) source for the Stevie-Christine dichotomy in his review of Rumours:

There is also a salon.com review of TISL that discusses this. It says that Christine has the solid vocal, the skills as a musician, the strength, while Stevie is the one in fluttery shawls, but Christine's lyrics beg, while Stevie's lyrics take command. She is Rhiannon. She is inaccessible. She is the one who leaves, not the other way around

Of course, you and I can think of exceptions to both of these rules that the Salon.com writer might not have the catalog of FM knowledge to know about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
I disagree with Christgau. To me, Stevie's songs signify a far more delicate emotional state--she can't get over Lindsey and she keeps the battle going
And I always feel that Christine's lyrics have an edge to them and are not as light as they sound. With Say You Love Me and Little Lies, for instance, I do see her in control, because she's letting herself be lied to. She does not believe that guy when he says that he loves her. She just wants to be wooed through the night. Doesn't mean that she denies the truth in the light of day. Deceive me for a little longer, until I'm ready to let go. I'll give you license to mislead. To me, that kind of gives her the power. It's not just please love me (although she does say that too in Why, for instance).

Then, I think of a song like Think About Me was written, knowing that you have Lindsey there. So, she's singing, oh yeah please think about me every once in awhile, if you can spare me a little minute. Whereas Lindsey comes in whooping and DEMANDS to be thought of. Hey you, I'm here and you better acknowledge it! The song lyrics have to be interpreted through the reading they're given and that reading isn't passive. Through the duet and the contrast between Lindsey and Christine's vocals, I think we are seeing both sides of Christine's personality, both readings of her lyrics.

And when I think of SYLM I wonder, why is the phrase, "say that you love me" within the song and the title is just "Say You Love Me." Obviously, the four words make a better, catchier title, so that's probably why. But in my head, I answer myself that it's because the title is a directive, an order and the lyrics within acknowledge that he said it. He said it, even if he didn't mean it. But if she knows he didn't, she's not being used.

Michele
Old 04-07-2011, 04:05 PM
Registered

Worst Lyrics - Sugar Daddy

The "used to likes" -
All the ones I liked when I first bought the record I still like today. I've not gone off any.

Songs that could have been better - I want to say "Rhiannon". I love the album version, but a full on rock version like that classic 1976 performance would've been awesome. I guess I'll go with "Landslide". I don't think the magic of the song was really captured on the album version.

Everybody's favorite but not mine - Say You Love Me

Much better performed live - Landslide

Overall least favorite - Warm Ways
Old 04-07-2011, 04:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Worst Lyrics - Although I like the song and it pains me to say it, probably Crystal.

The "used to likes" - Landslide. I used to love the song, but I've gotten sick of hearing it. It's a completely crass song to mention when talking about the Mac discography. Whenever somebody mentions that they're about to sing a Fleetwood Mac song on television, etc, you just know this one's rearing its ugly head again.

Songs that could have been better - World Turning is only served justice when performed live. It's too flat when held in the constraints of the album.

Everybody's favorite but not mine - Warm Ways?

Much better performed live - World Turning

Overall least favorite - Warm Ways
Old 04-16-2011, 10:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Worst Lyrics - World Turning. The lyrics aren't necessarily 'bad' I just wish there was more to the song.
The "used to likes" - Landslide. I think I've just played it soooooooo much I'm tired of it and it doesn't mean the same thing to me as it use to. Maybe after giving it a break for a while I will come back to it
Songs that could have been better - Sugar Daddy. I really want to like this song....but I can't.
Everybody's favorite but not mine - I'm So Afraid
Much better performed live - It's a tie between I'm So Afraid and Rhiannon. ISA on the white album is just....bleh. I can't stand it, but live I like it. Rhiannon is alright but was better live in the early days. However, I think The Dance version is my favorite.
Overall least favorite - Warm Ways...
Old 04-17-2011, 05:40 AM
Senior Ledgie

Worst Lyrics - Warm Ways.

The "used to likes" - None

Songs that could have been better - Crystal could have had more depth - seemed more tinny

Everybody's favorite but not mine - Rhiannon - I like it but It wouldnt be in my top 3

Much better performed live - World Turning in Later Years, also Rhiannon and ISA

Overall least favorite - Sugar Daddy
Old 04-17-2011, 06:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Worst Lyrics - Although I love it, it's going to have to be World Turning.

The "used to likes" - Landslide

Songs that could have been better - Warm Ways. Although I think it's brilliant, it could have been even better.

Everybody's favorite but not mine - Rhiannon?

Much better performed live - Say You Love Me (esp. The Dance version)

Overall least favorite - I'm So Afraid

Oh Yeah Christine McVie | Tumblr
Old 04-17-2011, 11:08 AM
Lucia

Worst Lyrics - Warm Ways

The "used to likes" - Monday Morning

Songs that could have been better - World Turning

Everybody's favorite but not mine - Say You Love Me (not a favorite but I still like it)

Much better performed live - Rhiannon, I'm So Afraid and Say You Love Me (yes from THE DANCE)

Overall least favorite -Warm Ways