Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Beijing Opening Ceremonies

Pretty cool so far. China is such an ancient civilization and the history of it is vivdly presented in this rather epix presentation.

How about that screen around the top of the nest and that HUGE LCD screen (70 by like 240) that they keep moving.

And S. Brightman - Jazzy (where ever he is) must be flipping!

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 08-08-2008, 08:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think it's been kind of tacky, but yet I keep watching.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think they are all cheesey to a degree. I was in the Alanta one. I loved it. I remember many people not from the South panning it because it was too Southern with the trucks and cheerleaders. While I likely would not have done that segment, I liked it and thought it was representative of the South.

The Chinese one benefited so much from the advancement in technology.

This procession of atheletes is, like all, glacier like. But, they are the show I guess.

Old 08-08-2008, 10:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

You know what's sad? All these Steroid freakazoids like Marion Jones and others are totally ruining it for the honest hard working athletes to the point now where when I ask my friends about the upcoming olympics they all say "Why should I watch, they're all probably on steroids anyway."
Old 08-08-2008, 10:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

ANNYWAY, Back to the Opening ceremonies.

~Stunning, the have so much culture. I adore the olympics. It's just nice to see everyone get together and be one world and one purpose. even just for a little while.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind View Post
Pretty cool so far. China is such an ancient civilization and the history of it is vivdly presented in this rather epix presentation.

How about that screen around the top of the nest and that HUGE LCD screen (70 by like 240) that they keep moving.

And S. Brightman - Jazzy (where ever he is) must be flipping!
That part where the manuscript thing kept unrolling was really cool. So was the Olimpic rings rising from the floor. ALSO! Sara Brightman is awsome.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wow! The drumming, right at the beginning was amazing! Fantastic showcase and totally over the top,but thoroughly enjoyable to watch. I wonder if the art director saw the last Pink Floyd tour with the rising ball (which turned into a lotus flower thingy)...??? That rising world sure looked similar
Just makes me wonder how on earth, London will manage in 2012...still 2 weeks of entertaining tele to look forward to now...
Old 08-09-2008, 12:02 AM
Registered

LOL at the shot of George & Laura Bush checking their watches.
Old 08-09-2008, 08:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeA View Post
LOL at the shot of George & Laura Bush checking their watches.
I know. And, and this is my Southern nature, if you are the Pres. of the US of A, I do not give a shiitte that is is 90+ degrees in there, you keep your fukcing jacket on out of respect for all the atheletes in there. To W's credit, he at least put his jacket on when the US athelete's walked by. Tacky Tacky. Laura, on the other hand, looked lovely.

But, I thought the whole this was fantastic, esp, the lighting of the torch - that man "ran" that whole length.

Last edited by strandinthewind; 08-09-2008 at 08:38 AM..
Old 08-09-2008, 09:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm indifferent to the Summer Olympics, I like some events - Volleyball, Badminton, Sabre, Archery, Baseball/Softball and Gymnastics (Oklahoma is a hotbed of gymnastics, OKC is home to 3 former medalists - Shannon Miller, Bart Conner and his wife Nadia Comăneci).

However, I hope the supposed "Dream Team" in basketball gets their collective asses whipped yet again. I can't stand track & field & swimming - too predictable that the US will do well in those events.

Can't wait til the 2010 Winter Olympics...I'm a Winter Olympics junkie - Love all the events, especially ice skating and CURLING (Curling is the BOMB, man - love it!!!)

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 08-09-2008, 09:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMn View Post
You know what's sad? All these Steroid freakazoids like Marion Jones and others are totally ruining it for the honest hard working athletes to the point now where when I ask my friends about the upcoming olympics they all say "Why should I watch, they're all probably on steroids anyway."
i loved marion jones, hearing what she did breaks my heart~

i thought the opening ceremonies where stunning~ i loved it all especially seeing the countries w/ 5 or less competing & how excited they were~
Old 08-09-2008, 09:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind View Post
I know. And, and this is my Southern nature, if you are the Pres. of the US of A, I do not give a shiitte that is is 90+ degrees in there, you keep your fukcing jacket on out of respect for all the atheletes in there. To W's credit, he at least put his jacket on when the US athelete's walked by. Tacky Tacky. Laura, on the other hand, looked lovely.

But, I thought the whole this was fantastic, esp, the lighting of the torch - that man "ran" that whole length.
monkey boy <<<< that's what my son calles himwas sitting there looking idiotic as usual~
i love jennie finch!!!~
Old 08-09-2008, 11:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMn View Post
Everything has its dark side, don't let that taint the whole thing for you. I missed it dammit.
Old 08-09-2008, 12:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzeQuze View Post
Everything has its dark side, don't let that taint the whole thing for you.
For real. Musicians win awards all the time with morphed and computerized voices and not with their true singing voice. I tend to think that's in the same category.....
Old 08-09-2008, 01:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I loved what I saw, especially the scroll part with the people in the boxes making wave like motions. I've recorded it and am going to watch the whole thing later.