Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Present Band
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-06-2018, 06:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default "Off-kilter debut"; LB wanted obscure material; Au/NZ tour end of 2019?

https://amp.heraldsun.com.au/enterta...01106833bf513b

Fleetwood Mac debut new line-up featuring Neil Finn on Ellen — but they’re not pleasing everyone
September 6, 2018 3:35pm
Kathy McCabe, National Music WriterNews Corp Australia Network

IT was a bit cheeky of Fleetwood Mac performing The Chain for their first performance with the new line-up featuring Neil Finn and Tom Petty’s guitarist, Mike Campbell.

The signature song declaring “You would never break the chain” was their opening gambit for a surprise set on Ellen, the band’s first since divorcing Lindsey Buckingham earlier this year.

The latest Mac incarnation got off to a shaky start with nerves possibly responsible for some off-kilter harmonies between Stevie Nicks, Christine McVie and Finn.

They warmed up quickly by the second verse to lock into the three-part vocal unity which has underpinned their iconic sound since the mid 1970s.

As Finn played rhythm guitar and picked up Buckingham’s vocal duties, the Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers musician Campbell proved adept at replicating his lead guitar breaks.

Fans of the Crowded House frontman celebrated his public debut with the legendary rockers.

“Thanks for the many warm messages of goodwill, welcome, concern, bemusement, wonder.

I love being in Fleetwood Mac,” Finn posted after the performance, which also included Gypsy.

Yet there were just as many purists and Team Lindsay fans who weren’t having Finnwood Mac.

The always fractious relationship within the Mac ranks became untenable once again when Buckingham clashed with his bandmates on the plans for their global farewell tour which kicks off with a 50 date lap of the US on October 3 in Oklahoma.

The guitarist, vocalist and songwriter reportedly wanted more obscure material and deep album cuts in the set and wasn’t keen on the long run as he had solo touring plans.

When the new members were announced in April, founder Mick Fleetwood refuted Buckingham had been fired because “that’s ugly” but said they had reached an impasse on the tour negotiations.

Nicks supported the decision for the band to part with her former partner for the world tour.

“This team wanted to get out on the road. And one of the members did not want to get out on the road for a year,” Nicks told CBS during the new line-up’s first interview.

“We just couldn’t agree. And you know, when you’re in a band, it’s a team. I mean I have a solo career, and I love my solo career, and I’m the boss. Absolutely. But I’m not the boss in this band.”

The European and Australian legs for the world tour are yet to be confirmed but it is likely the Mac will be here in the summer of 2019/2020.

(includes several embedded Tweets largely critical of the LB-less performance)
Old 09-06-2018, 10:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for sharing.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 09-06-2018, 06:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo View Post
https://amp.heraldsun.com.au/enterta...01106833bf513b

Fleetwood Mac debut new line-up featuring Neil Finn on Ellen — but they’re not pleasing everyone
September 6, 2018 3:35pm
Kathy McCabe, National Music WriterNews Corp Australia Network

IT was a bit cheeky of Fleetwood Mac performing The Chain for their first performance with the new line-up featuring Neil Finn and Tom Petty’s guitarist, Mike Campbell.

The signature song declaring “You would never break the chain” was their opening gambit for a surprise set on Ellen, the band’s first since divorcing Lindsey Buckingham earlier this year.

The latest Mac incarnation got off to a shaky start with nerves possibly responsible for some off-kilter harmonies between Stevie Nicks, Christine McVie and Finn.

They warmed up quickly by the second verse to lock into the three-part vocal unity which has underpinned their iconic sound since the mid 1970s.

As Finn played rhythm guitar and picked up Buckingham’s vocal duties, the Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers musician Campbell proved adept at replicating his lead guitar breaks.

Fans of the Crowded House frontman celebrated his public debut with the legendary rockers.

“Thanks for the many warm messages of goodwill, welcome, concern, bemusement, wonder.

I love being in Fleetwood Mac,” Finn posted after the performance, which also included Gypsy.

Yet there were just as many purists and Team Lindsay fans who weren’t having Finnwood Mac.

The always fractious relationship within the Mac ranks became untenable once again when Buckingham clashed with his bandmates on the plans for their global farewell tour which kicks off with a 50 date lap of the US on October 3 in Oklahoma.

The guitarist, vocalist and songwriter reportedly wanted more obscure material and deep album cuts in the set and wasn’t keen on the long run as he had solo touring plans.

When the new members were announced in April, founder Mick Fleetwood refuted Buckingham had been fired because “that’s ugly” but said they had reached an impasse on the tour negotiations.

Nicks supported the decision for the band to part with her former partner for the world tour.

“This team wanted to get out on the road. And one of the members did not want to get out on the road for a year,” Nicks told CBS during the new line-up’s first interview.

“We just couldn’t agree. And you know, when you’re in a band, it’s a team. I mean I have a solo career, and I love my solo career, and I’m the boss. Absolutely. But I’m not the boss in this band.”

The European and Australian legs for the world tour are yet to be confirmed but it is likely the Mac will be here in the summer of 2019/2020.

(includes several embedded Tweets largely critical of the LB-less performance)
And now Lindsey's gone they haven't got much choice BUT to fish for some deeper cuts.
Old 09-06-2018, 07:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murrow View Post
And now Lindsey's gone they haven't got much choice BUT to fish for some deeper cuts.
That was probably wrong. Mick and Stevie talked about doing pre-75 songs last summer, when LBCM, Stevie, and Mick were on their respective tours. I could see that being one source of conflict, a straw, that led to the current situation.

THE Stephen Hopkins

Last edited by SteveMacD; 09-06-2018 at 07:23 PM..
Old 09-08-2018, 07:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
That was probably wrong. Mick and Stevie talked about doing pre-75 songs last summer, when LBCM, Stevie, and Mick were on their respective tours. I could see that being one source of conflict, a straw, that led to the current situation.
I can, too. Lindsey's the kind of guy—the kind of musician—who would undoubtedly prefer to cut new tracks and play them out live rather than reach back to a mouldering catalogue. Not that reaching back into a mouldering catalogue can't be kind of kicky and fun—it can. But it's a different sort of artistic statement, and it's never been the statement Lindsey wanted to make. His business and art have always been about working on something new (sometimes mixing the new with the old to give everything a kaleidoscopic effect—consider his recorded covers of Tin Pan Alley, Broadway, and mid-century pop). He experiments with ways to make the new (and the old) resonate a little differently. His aesthetic is antithetical to the standard rock procedure of making those hits sound like the record onstage. The thought of dredging up some old Green or Kirwan and presenting it straightforwardly undoubtedly didn't excite him.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 09-25-2018, 12:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Meanwhile when STEVIE wants to take 3 years off between tours it doesn't matter what the team says. She's a freaking piece of work.
Old 09-25-2018, 07:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Lindsey: Let's work up something new for our tour!

Rest of band: How about Station Man instead?

Lindsey: I think it's more creativity satisfying to do new material, or at least relatively new... but Stevie, if it's really important to you, you could sacrifice one of your songs to fit it in...

Stevie: Hell no!

Narrative now: "Lindsey selfishly never allowed us to do any material from before his tenure in the band."

Old 09-25-2018, 07:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
Lindsey: Let's work up something new for our tour!

Rest of band: How about Station Man instead?

Lindsey: I think it's more creativity satisfying to do new material, or at least relatively new... but Stevie, if it's really important to you, you could sacrifice one of your songs to fit it in...

Stevie: Hell no!

Narrative now: "Lindsey selfishly never allowed us to do any material from before his tenure in the band."
This sounds about right
Old 09-25-2018, 09:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Mick and Stevie talked about doing pre-75 songs last summer, when LBCM, Stevie, and Mick were on their respective tours.
Actually it was Stevie who had mentioned to Mick that she wanted to delve deeper into the catalog, but she was referring to the songs from 1975 thru present days, not the pre LB & SN times.
Old 09-25-2018, 11:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Actually it was Stevie who had mentioned to Mick that she wanted to delve deeper into the catalog, but she was referring to the songs from 1975 thru present days, not the pre LB & SN times.
Are you sure about that? Remember, Mick was working his early years coffee table book and Stevie has been the most vocal about doing early years songs.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 09-25-2018, 11:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Mick and Stevie talked about doing pre-75 songs last summer, when LBCM, Stevie, and Mick were on their respective tours. I could see that being one source of conflict, a straw, that led to the current situation.
Quote:
Quote:
Are you sure about that? Remember, Mick was working his early years coffee table book and Stevie has been the most vocal about doing early years songs.
Stevie referred to the pre 1975 songs only after Lindsey was fired.
Old 09-25-2018, 01:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Stevie referred to the pre 1975 songs only after Lindsey was fired.
I think vivfox is right. Thinking back, I've never heard her express a desire to dig out "old chestnuts" before Lindsey was fired, and her clueless comment that "Station Man" - which she said was one of her favorites - was sung by Christine McVie (sung, co-written, oops none of the above, "whatever" lol) bears out the theory that she hadn't exactly been spending a lot of time immersing herself in Fleetwood Mac's back catalog.

Last edited by sodascouts; 09-25-2018 at 01:31 PM..
Old 09-25-2018, 03:11 PM
Senior Ledgie

There was some article posted before the firing with Mick saying that he and Stevie met in Italy and she said she was interested in going deep into their catalog to do songs they haven’t done live. I don’t think it was clear if she meant pre or post 1975 catalog.

Regardless, I don’t think any of this has anything to do with why Lindsey was fired.
Old 09-25-2018, 03:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
There was some article posted before the firing with Mick saying that he and Stevie met in Italy and she said she was interested in going deep into their catalog to do songs they haven’t done live. I don’t think it was clear if she meant pre or post 1975 catalog.

Regardless, I don’t think any of this has anything to do with why Lindsey was fired.
Christine and Mick have both said they want to do specifically HER pre 75 songs , specifically songs from Mystery to Me during many of the Sirius interviews

He Will Burn You Down
Old 09-25-2018, 04:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
I think vivfox is right. Thinking back, I've never heard her express a desire to dig out "old chestnuts" before Lindsey was fired,
Except that she’s the one who started the whole process of revisiting the buried past, starting with “Without You” and by bringing out things like “Crying In The Night” last year. She was digging deep into her own catalog, while Mick was traveling around Europe talking about Fleetwood Mac’s pre-1975 years promoting his book. It would be easy to see the discussion being about doing the early material. They were both in that frame of mind.

Quote:
and her clueless comment that "Station Man" - which she said was one of her favorites - was sung by Christine McVie (sung, co-written, oops none of the above, "whatever" lol)
Yep. Stevie clearly knows nothing about Station Man. I bet she’s never heard it.

THE Stephen Hopkins