User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon View Post
Is it literally just him with no band? Wtf?
Band in a can? So the Euro fans really did get screwed.

Glad I got rid of my SF ticket. I am totally sick of this dude.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
i am sure about GI and SUD. i'm really hoping for no Tusk since with these ~10-mins solos there's not that much more space in a 90-min show.

i am unsure how i feel about this. on one hand i was really curious to hear very reworked songs and a completely different setlist. on the other hand i was worried that it will be too classical-music-concert-like and slowed down if he did that.

considering there were just a few people here who were really looking forward to a completely acustic set (like Peestie), i'm surpriesed how many people are now banging on him for doing GYOW and ISA the way he did it... especially Alicelover who was very loud about skipping this tour b/c it will not be rocking enough for him... hard to have it both ways. i have heard other people like you on FB saying that considering what they've heard about yesterday, they now decided to go see this tour after all.

anyway, since ISA and GYOW are a must-do songs for him, and i love the audience interaction they allow, i hope that rounds up all big FM hits that he did and that the rest is more acoustic and what we were expecting. audience there definitely seem to have enjoyed the show a lot so he must have done the right thing for many people even if maybe not for some of his most rabid fans that expected something completely different from the usual.

and i must say - i am so looking forward to hear BTLH (i hope that info is correct!?) and Come live - and am very happy that he added two original GOS/SYW songs to the setlist!
I think the fact that he did it with the backing tracks is a missed opportunity. I could just imagine a really nice GI-type version of Come or a whispered, mournful version of ISA with a Street of Dreams style solo at the end. Sure, he couldn't do any of the screaming electric solos but just think of the fun he could have had with the arrangements of those warhorses. He could have also left out a couple that wouldn't work and fill the space with new stuff like Bel Air Rain, RAB, Underground, Red Rover (assuming he didn't do any of these. If he did then I'm thrilled).

I'm a little bit bummed about the backing tracks but I'd still jumpjumpjump at the chance to see him live. I think I'd enjoy the show perfectly while I was there.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceLover View Post
It feels like Lindsey lost his band at a rest stop and is continuing the tour with the instruments he has left...

Ego, party of one your stage is ready...
Old 05-04-2012, 10:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

From what I hear from the clips, he has recorded/compiled a tailormade backingtrack for those rocksongs. I can live with that. I'm more worried about the acoustic setlist. I fear a remake of the last two tour's list..... No real surprises. BTW, I think he sang GYOW pretty poor... But he'll get better along the road...as always...

Old 05-04-2012, 10:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrStevie View Post
Band in a can? So the Euro fans really did get screwed.

Glad I got rid of my SF ticket. I am totally sick of this dude.
Hmmm.... band in a can? I wish my first Lindsey solo experience (June 11)wasn't this. I won't but my husband may fall asleep.

I won't judge until I actually see it. I hope I can get pics though. It says no cameras or recording devices, but hey, everyone has a cell phone camera & of course, I will take my regular camera with a nice zoom.

Lee
Old 05-04-2012, 10:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Why did he stop at playing with pre-recorded guitar and percussion tracks? Heck, he could go out on the road with "Fleetwood Mac," including Christine's pre-recorded vocals and keyboard parts. I seriously wonder what was the motivation for the "band in a can" tour. Did his accountant ring him up to tell him that he hasn't earned any income in three years and that he needs to finally tour AND make money at the same time?

I can respect and appreciate a totally solo acoustic show. And it would be quite a novelty if he could play live against digital samples of his guitar playing recorded on stage. But this is a bit hard to stomach. It's a bit lazy actually. He had the opportunity to re-present his catalog with new arrangements and instrumentation, but instead has relied on the tried and true "rock show" approach. Cop out. I suppose I shouldn't pass judgment until I've had a chance to witness things firsthand, but the "band in a can" thing is just sooo not cool with me.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Heart

Old 05-04-2012, 11:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Smile

Ok, having just seen both videos, someone get Linds a towel! And get me one, too.

I think I'll like the show. Don't know about hubby though.

How long does his show last to those who have been?

Lee
Old 05-04-2012, 11:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm not really surprised by this in the least. The way Lindsey works in the studio by himself and given the technology...it's almost a no brainer to assume he would have a laptop hooked up with a few rhythm tracks to back him up. He's very rarely a solo performer in the purest sense. It's hard to picture him in a James Taylor sort of performance.

That being said, I do agree that maybe some new arrangements would of been cool. GYOW acoustic would of been cool among other things. So sure, maybe I am a little disappointed if it's going to be last years set list minus a band. I can't blame anyone for being a little disappointed in that.

Being the guitar wiz that he is, you would think he would really want the show to be a showcase of his ability and show that ability in broader depth.

I was kind of hoping for more of a sit down, intimate, mtv unplugged kind of thing which this isn't looking to be thus far.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
From what I hear from the clips, he has recorded/compiled a tailormade backingtrack for those rocksongs. I can live with that. I'm more worried about the acoustic setlist. I fear a remake of the last two tour's list..... No real surprises. BTW, I think he sang GYOW pretty poor... But he'll get better along the road...as always...
that's what i'm hearing too.

for everybody jumping on the band-in-a-can wagon, did you all actually listen to these clips that are available?! i may not have the best ear, but some of the comments i'm reading here are completely speculative when they don't need to be, especially in the light of actually having available videos.

to whoever asked, it is somewhere in the messages above - the show was exactly 90 mins. so i am worried about what other acoustic tracks he had time to play, and am really hoping it's not just ones he did acoustically before.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
Why did he stop at playing with pre-recorded guitar and percussion tracks? Heck, he could go out on the road with "Fleetwood Mac," including Christine's pre-recorded vocals and keyboard parts. I seriously wonder what was the motivation for the "band in a can" tour. Did his accountant ring him up to tell him that he hasn't earned any income in three years and that he needs to finally tour AND make money at the same time?

I can respect and appreciate a totally solo acoustic show. And it would be quite a novelty if he could play live against digital samples of his guitar playing recorded on stage. But this is a bit hard to stomach. It's a bit lazy actually. He had the opportunity to re-present his catalog with new arrangements and instrumentation, but instead has relied on the tried and true "rock show" approach. Cop out. I suppose I shouldn't pass judgment until I've had a chance to witness things firsthand, but the "band in a can" thing is just sooo not cool with me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl84 View Post
I'm not really surprised by this in the least. The way Lindsey works in the studio by himself and given the technology...it's almost a no brainer to assume he would have a laptop hooked up with a few rhythm tracks to back him up. He's very rarely a solo performer in the purest sense. It's hard to picture him in a James Taylor sort of performance.

That being said, I do agree that maybe some new arrangements would of been cool. GYOW acoustic would of been cool among other things. So sure, maybe I am a little disappointed if it's going to be last years set list minus a band. I can't blame anyone for being a little disappointed in that.

Being the guitar wiz that he is, you would think he would really want the show to be a showcase of his ability and show that ability in broader depth.

I was kind of hoping for more of a sit down, intimate, mtv unplugged kind of thing which this isn't looking to be thus far.
Exactly. I'm disappointed, but relieved that I won't really be missing anything since I doubt I'll get to see him on this tour. Keep my fingers crossed for something else in the future - as long as they don't do a FM lip synching tour...
Old 05-04-2012, 11:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I really like the new style of Come with shaker percussion and overall lighter feel, but I just feel like it'd be weird watching him playing to a backing track on his own with the Model 1. If he played it that style with the band then I'd probably have been its biggest cheerleader (this is judging completely from that clip of the solo/end that we have). If he has to play along with backing tracks at least it's not just a recording of Walfredo, Neale and Brett and the arrangement is something different.

Give me a day or two to hear more videos and I'll maybe re-evaluate and end up loving it (and if he made the loops live I'd flip with excitement) but I was just really hoping for a real all acoustic (or, at least, single guitar) tour.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I hear you perfectly, Peestie, And I know that you can appreciate an electronic fill for an acoustic performance. It's nothing new, by the way, he used prerecordings in all his solotours since 2006, also with the band. I think that is more cheating than doing it solo so that it is obvious. I'd love the loopthought, but that's too risky for a controlfreak...

Old 05-04-2012, 12:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I hear you perfectly, Peestie, And I know that you can appreciate an electronic fill for an acoustic performance. It's nothing new, by the way, he used prerecordings in all his solotours since 2006, also with the band. I think that is more cheating than doing it solo so that it is obvious. I'd love the loopthought, but that's too risky for a controlfreak...
I really agree. I've always found it weird that he does it with the band. It just seems like he's trying to be "stripped down" with just the four of them on stage but then doesn't like it so fills in the gaps with computer samples instead of an extra musician or two (and aren't there offstage musicians on the last tours as well?).

I still want him to record and release a DVD of this show... I'll not get to see it and a high quality document of it would go down very well with me.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
Did his accountant ring him up to tell him that he hasn't earned any income in three years and that he needs to finally tour AND make money at the same time?
Even without a band or a private plane, I can't believe he's making money on this tour. Michele