Old 05-19-2013, 12:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...,1952865.story
Old 05-19-2013, 01:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

^Thanks for that.

May 18, 2013, 10:00 a.m. Los Angeles Times by Mikael Wood

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...,1952865.story

The four songs on the new Fleetwood Mac EP — which the legendary pop-rock outfit put up for sale on iTunes last month with little warning — arrive steeped in echoes of the past, in at least one case quite literally: "Without You," a strummy acoustic number overlaid with harmony vocals by Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks, reportedly dates to sessions for the singers' 1973 album as a long-haired vocal duo deeply opposed to shirts.

But the other tunes on "Extended Play," newly composed by Buckingham and co-produced by him and L.A. studio pro Mitchell Froom, feel no less rooted in earlier iterations of this on-again/off-again institution.

"Miss Fantasy" has some of the folky back-porch guitar action of "Never Going Back Again," while the stripped-down "It Takes Time" could be Buckingham's version of Christine McVie's big piano ballad, "Songbird." And opener "Sad Angel" shimmers with the glossy textures of 1987's "Tango in the Night." (Incidentally, if you want to get a sense of Fleetwood Mac's enduring influence on synthed-up young rock acts like Phoenix, go straight to "Tango" — it looms larger these days than the vaunted "Rumours" does.)

Nothing about this self-reference surprises, of course, especially given that Fleetwood Mac is amid a giant arena tour that will bring the band to the Hollywood Bowl on Saturday and Anaheim's Honda Center on May 28. Old hits are what the members are playing onstage — "Don't Stop," "Dreams," "Go Your Own Way," "Silver Springs" — so old hits are what the members are hearing in their heads.

And yet Fleetwood Mac's first studio output since "Say You Will" in 2003 doesn't sound stale or overworked; indeed, the songs have an impressive crispness that makes their familiarity seem less like evidence of a tapped creative supply than like proof that this is simply the kind of music Fleetwood Mac writes.

"I remember you," Buckingham sings over and over again near the end of "Miss Fantasy," and he might be addressing his own melody. But it's a good one. You'll remember it too.
— Mikael Wood
Old 05-20-2013, 11:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...=entertainment
Fleetwood Mac 'Extended Play' Released As Band Debuts New Songs

So what has kept the rockers (now all in their 60s) going all of these years, making new music and traveling the world on an exhausting schedule? "It has everything to do with the feeling I get when my fingers touch those keys and I sing that first sentence," Nicks explained to HuffPost Entertainment about her love of making music in December. "It may not save the world but people are gonna love it. Because I love it."
If you didn't know better, you would assume, by her quote, that Stevie is the keyboard player in the band.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 05-20-2013 at 11:33 AM..
Old 05-21-2013, 04:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
If you didn't know better, you would assume, by her quote, that Stevie is the keyboard player in the band.
Except for the fact that her quote clearly references writing songs (not playing in concert), which the article references as well in "making music".
Old 06-07-2013, 08:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My Digital Financial Chronicle

http://www.mydigitalfc.com/knowledge...ir-own-way-413

Going their own way By Abhinav Kaul, Ranaditya Baruah Jun 06 2013 , New Delhi

When I first heard Fletwood Mac, they were already way past their prime. Their glory years were long gone but it never showed when Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham took the stage. Nicks’ voice has remained as sultry and phenomenal as ever and Buckingham’s mellow guitar licks have somehow managed to get cleaner over the years.

The British-American rock band was formed way back in 1967. The band has undergone numerous changes over the years, but most fans identify Fleetwood Mac with Mick Fleetwood on the drums, John McVie on bass, Lindsey Buckingham on the guitar and Stevie Nicks on vocals.

There is nothing in the music business that these rock and roll hall of famers have not seen. So, one might think after a 10 year break the band may have finally hung up their boots bringing an end to an illustrious career.

But putting an end to all such speculations, last month, Fleetwood Mac announced Extended Play, a four-song EP of new material — their first since 2003’s, Say You Will, which had reached No 6 on the UK album charts, and achieved gold sales.

However, fans must be warned that this album is more a solo project of Lindsey Buckingham than a Fleetwood Mac album, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing as most songs play it safe, adhering to the mid-tempo signature rhythms that best define the bands music.

The lead track, Sad Angel, opens with the familiar jangles of Go Your Own Way — a momentary callback before we finally hear this new version of Fleetwood Mac. Like many of the group’s greatest songs, Sad Angel reflects on Lindsey and Stevie’s complex relationship. The track is a wonderful beginning to the record as Sad Angel is perhaps the most Fleetwood Mac-y on the album. It reminds one of the good stuff that the band belted out on record after record during their prime.

The new version of Without You is another welcome rendition. It’s an acoustic duet between Buckingham and Nicks — the only real presence she has on Extended Play. The 40-year-old track was most likely penned while they were madly in love with one another. Times have changed and both musicians have matured a great deal over the years but the song would definitely remind the old-timers of a more innocent time. The song was originally meant for a possible second Buckingham-Nicks album, before being dropped.

The following track, It Takes Time, is the only forgettable track on the album, but Fleetwood Mac close strong with the power-pop feel of Miss Fantasy.

Extended Play is a short tease, but these tracks aren’t throwaways or an attempt at a quick cash-in. Lindsey Buckingham wouldn’t associate with something like that. A known perfectionist, he co-produced the EP alongside Mitchell Froom, and the attention paid to detail shows. The songs don’t deviate far from Fleetwood Mac’s mellow-rock wheelhouse, and why should they? That’s exactly the kind of stuff that fans want from them.

Modern production techniques, which enhance Buckingham’s clean guitar tones and his vocal harmonies with Nicks, however seem too obvious at times.

Extended Play’s fleeting duration might be something fans would complain about. However, for being an out-of-the-blue release, Fleetwood Mac fans should be more than satisfied. .zz
Old 06-14-2013, 01:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Fleetwood Mac's 4-song EP 'Extended Play' hints of more good music to come (CD review)

http://www.cleveland.com/popmusic/in..._ep_exten.html

By Chuck Yarborough, The Cleveland Plain Dealer, June 13, 2013

Fleetwood Mac has sold more than 100 million records worldwide, including almost 50 million in the United States.

The current tour, which features Saturday’s stop at The Q, celebrates the 35th anniversary reissue of "Rumours," the breakthrough album by the lineup that featured founding members Mick Fleetwood on drums and John McVie — the Fleetwood and Mac in the name — along with Christine McVie on keys, Lindsey Buckingham on guitar and Stevie Nicks on vocals.

Sadly, Christine McVie, who was married to John when she joined the band, left the group in 1998, the year they were inducted into the Rock Hall.

Not so sadly, Fleetwood Mac is continuing to produce music. GOOD music. The band has a new EP out, appropriately enough called "Extended Play," that features four songs — "Miss Fantasy," "It Takes Time," "Without You" and "Sad Angel."

The EP has a rollicking, more acoustic feel to it that’s reminiscent of the days when Nicks and Buckingham were a duo, before they joined Fleetwood Mac. Which sort of fits, because "Without You" is actually a remake of a tune they recorded back in those days.

Buckingham sings lead on all four songs, and there are hints of Nicks on "Angel" and, obviously, "Without You." But John McVie’s voice is curiously absent, and the EP does suffer from the absence of Christine McVie, both vocally and on piano.

But that’s all relative. Comparing Fleetwood Mac’s sound to anyone else’s sound is like comparing Little League to the Majors. The foursome really is in a different league. That in mind, the worst thing about this EP is that it’s an EP, with only four songs, and the best thing is that its very presence portends the issue of a full album.

Cha-ching.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Will there ever be a full album made out of those songs and the others they have been working on? I sure do hope so!
Old 08-14-2013, 01:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwebster View Post
Will there ever be a full album made out of those songs and the others they have been working on? I sure do hope so!
We don't know. We do know it is just "a matter of how and when" not a matter of "if" for the remaining Lindsey-penned Fleetwood Mac songs to be released. So the band has already shared 3/8 new songs plus the new/old Without You.

There are five more Fleetwood Mac songs floating out there somewhere in the ether waiting to end up on an official CD or digital download release. I get the feeling from band interviews and particularly from Lindsey (and less so, Mick's) comments on the public record - that Lindsey, Mick and John would love to make a new Mac album, and that Stevie is less than thrilled about the idea.

But my prediction is we will get a full-length new Fleetwood Mac studio album maybe in 2014 or 2015 which will probably contain the four EP songs, plus the five already recorded (and unreleased) Lindsey songs (with some additional -Stevie- vocals), then maybe three or four new Stevie songs. She will come around to the idea of recording with Fleetwood Mac again, I think. But any future studio work with Fleetwood Mac will have to be on Stevie's own terms and she will need to have complete creative control over the direction of her new songs to feel comfortable working with the band.

It really would be a shame if Say You Will (2003) went down in history as Fleetwood Mac's last studio album. As much as I love SYW, I think Fleetwood Mac still continues to show so much promise and Extended Play (2013) showed they haven't lost their special touch or musical prowess. The band should play on while they still can, in studio and on stage. The fans will thank them for it.

Last edited by secret love; 08-14-2013 at 01:16 AM..
Old 10-14-2013, 02:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Taz.de October 14, 2013

http://www.taz.de/Fleetwood-Mac-auf-...-Tour/!125432/

Malicious people might say, that was inevitable. That Fleetwood Mac would also eventually be "cool." In recent years, the retro mania had been responsible for the revival of post-punk, acid-folk and even hair metal. In archival understanding of history nuller years no musical niche was too remote to be not dragged by a clever decision guy band from obscurity into the public spotlight.

With Fleetwood Mac had no one make this effort. In Asservatenkammern mainstream radio playlists their songs are equally important evergreens like "Hotel California" by the Eagles. Anyone who has spent in the eighties, part of his youth listening to the radio, knows "Rumours" by heart.

Retro mania based on cultural codes and tacit agreements: driven by the desire to discover a pristine moment in the turmoil of pop history. On Fleetwood Mac meets nothing of all this to. Mick Fleetwood, Lindsey Buckingham, Stevie Nicks and McVie siblings never were seen as style icons. It does not require secret knowledge and familiarity of their songs was a retrospective Mythifizierung also detrimental.

The name Fleetwood Mac stands for high quality, perfect form use music, made possible by the 48-channel studio excesses. The music is so perfect in its technical execution, the songs that surrounded an aura of sanctity. "Rumours" is also the last great classic rock album that reveals emotional depths behind his obsessively polished surface. Because "Rumours" acted mainly from the end of love.

A Fleetwood Mac tribute album with acclaimed artists

However, when Fleetwood Mac this week complete their epic reunion tour (the third since the turn of the millennium) by German multi-purpose arenas, they meet a new situation. A large American coffee chain has succeeded for the Fleetwood Mac tribute album "Just tell me how you want me" some hip artists, including MGMT, Washed Out and Antony, but also gray eminences as J.Mascis, Bonnie " Prince "Billy and Marianne Faithful to win.

Last year, Warner released an exhaustive historiographical "Rumours" box set. So this year's Fleetwood Mac Road Show will take place under different circumstances than the tours in 2003 and 2009.

It will be interesting to see how the band reacts to the unexpected popularity of a new generation of musicians and musicians who actually should be socialized with punk. In "Rumours" in 1977, after all the debut albums by the Sex Pistols, The Clash, Television, Wire, Elvis Costello and Talking Heads came on the market.

Determine the musical legacy

A freshly released Fleetwood Mac 4-song EP "Extended Play" radioed ahead in this respect mixed signals. On the catchy upbeat song "Sad Angel", a slightly over made-piece power pop, followed by three adult pieces that try to tie something to try the classic folk-rock sound of the seventies. What the pieces is lost, is Buckingham's flair for melody and porous flitting sound signatures. Exactly what "Tusk", in retrospect even the best Fleetwood Mac album, is now estimated again by younger listeners.

So the timing could not be more perfect. Fleetwood Mac have it in our hands to help determine their musical legacy. Interpretations of largely significantly younger bands are helpful. They have reclaimed often wrongly maligned as smooth radio rock sound of the Mac a fabulous range of genres and highly complicated emotional states.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Taz.de October 14, 2013

http://www.taz.de/Fleetwood-Mac-auf-...-Tour/!125432/

Malicious people might say, that was inevitable. That Fleetwood Mac would also eventually be "cool." In recent years, the retro mania had been responsible for the revival of post-punk, acid-folk and even hair metal. In archival understanding of history nuller years no musical niche was too remote to be not dragged by a clever decision guy band from obscurity into the public spotlight.

With Fleetwood Mac had no one make this effort. In Asservatenkammern mainstream radio playlists their songs are equally important evergreens like "Hotel California" by the Eagles. Anyone who has spent in the eighties, part of his youth listening to the radio, knows "Rumours" by heart.

Retro mania based on cultural codes and tacit agreements: driven by the desire to discover a pristine moment in the turmoil of pop history. On Fleetwood Mac meets nothing of all this to. Mick Fleetwood, Lindsey Buckingham, Stevie Nicks and McVie siblings never were seen as style icons. It does not require secret knowledge and familiarity of their songs was a retrospective Mythifizierung also detrimental.

The name Fleetwood Mac stands for high quality, perfect form use music, made possible by the 48-channel studio excesses. The music is so perfect in its technical execution, the songs that surrounded an aura of sanctity. "Rumours" is also the last great classic rock album that reveals emotional depths behind his obsessively polished surface. Because "Rumours" acted mainly from the end of love.

A Fleetwood Mac tribute album with acclaimed artists

However, when Fleetwood Mac this week complete their epic reunion tour (the third since the turn of the millennium) by German multi-purpose arenas, they meet a new situation. A large American coffee chain has succeeded for the Fleetwood Mac tribute album "Just tell me how you want me" some hip artists, including MGMT, Washed Out and Antony, but also gray eminences as J.Mascis, Bonnie " Prince "Billy and Marianne Faithful to win.

Last year, Warner released an exhaustive historiographical "Rumours" box set. So this year's Fleetwood Mac Road Show will take place under different circumstances than the tours in 2003 and 2009.

It will be interesting to see how the band reacts to the unexpected popularity of a new generation of musicians and musicians who actually should be socialized with punk. In "Rumours" in 1977, after all the debut albums by the Sex Pistols, The Clash, Television, Wire, Elvis Costello and Talking Heads came on the market.

Determine the musical legacy

A freshly released Fleetwood Mac 4-song EP "Extended Play" radioed ahead in this respect mixed signals. On the catchy upbeat song "Sad Angel", a slightly over made-piece power pop, followed by three adult pieces that try to tie something to try the classic folk-rock sound of the seventies. What the pieces is lost, is Buckingham's flair for melody and porous flitting sound signatures. Exactly what "Tusk", in retrospect even the best Fleetwood Mac album, is now estimated again by younger listeners.

So the timing could not be more perfect. Fleetwood Mac have it in our hands to help determine their musical legacy. Interpretations of largely significantly younger bands are helpful. They have reclaimed often wrongly maligned as smooth radio rock sound of the Mac a fabulous range of genres and highly complicated emotional states.
Yikes, what the heck translated that? I cannot believe it was written that way. And wtf is the writer thinking referring to the McVie's as siblings.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 10-14-2013, 04:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes, it was translated.

What if John and Christine had been sister and brother, how would that have changed things? Of course, Christine's Rumours songs might not have been the same, but would the entire band dynamic have been less tumultuous?

Lindsey says that Christine's break up informed SnL's and he and Lindsey had already fallen apart before by the time they joined FM, so I don't think he's correct, but the conjecture is interesting.

Michele
Old 11-03-2013, 05:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default With EP release, FM reasserts themselves as a still relevant band in 2013

http://musingsonthemediums.blogspot....nded-play.html

Musings on the Mediums

A periodical blog where I discuss my musings and opinions on various forms of media, including movies, books, and, the main focus of this blog, video games. Unfortunately, I do not know enough to talk about things like television or music, so those will only be designated to a rare post. Read as I explore the confines of each medium, and which games I feel best utilize those confines and change both the nature of the medium and our ways of viewing it.

Saturday, November 2, 2013

Album Review: Fleetwood Mac, Extended Play

It seems like Fleetwood Mac make some of their best music in periods of great volatility. Rumours, the band’s 1977 masterpiece, was written and recorded during a time when the band’s personal lives were in the toilet. The Mac’s latest release, the four song EP Extended Play, was recorded in another bout of uncertainty, with multiples recording projects being derailed by Stevie Nicks’s and Lindsey Buckingham’s solo careers. Like during Rumours, the band somehow remains at their most focused during a storm, and has produced an incredible record.

One of the best things about Extended Play is that it sounds like Fleetwood Mac. In an era where the music industry seems to be pressing for more homogenization, it is great to hear a band that sounds like themselves. The EP’s lead, and best, track “Sad Angel,” is a classic Mac song of the highest caliber, reminiscent of many of the tracks from the beginning of the Buckingham-Nicks era Mac. Buckingham’s vocals effortlessly blend with Nicks’s, showing the potency of this long partnership.

In fact, all four of the tracks on the EP fit seamlessly in the canon of the first few Buckingham-Nicks led Mac. Buckingham’s electric and acoustic guitars shine together, for an incredibly well blended, bright sound. John McVie’s bass flits between sweetly accentuating the melodies to pounding along with Mick Fleetwood’s steady, reliable drumming, showing the strength of the consistent core of the band. And, like many good Fleetwood Mac songs, love is at the forefront of these songs from the haunting Buckingham solo piano and voice track “It Takes Time,” to the pleasant day dream of “Miss Fantasy.” Despite none of the band members being romantically linked any more (Christine McVie left the band after divorcing John, and Buckingham and Nicks terminated their romantic relationship during the recording of Rumours) it seems that these old habits die hard.

In a musical culture where artists, consumers and producers keeping pushing for “the new,” it is refreshing to hear something so classic. Fleetwood Mac reasserts themselves as a still relevant and superstar band in 2013, and remind us why these bands are still around, and still kicking ass.

Rating: 9.0/10

(guess this maybe should have been in EP reviews thread but i'm lazy to search...)

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"