Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-14-2017, 05:27 PM
Ledgie

Default Can we talk about Storms

I listened to this song through headphones while on my daily walk yesterday. Is this not one of the crowning achievements of the Rumours lineup and Lindsey's skill as a producer? Even in the demo stage, it was awesome. It is one of Stevie's best lyrics and vocal performances. The way the instruments weave in and out of each other in the mix, and it just builds so beautifully. There is so much subtlety in the finished production. I think that light touch is something that I miss in the work of a lot of modern music. I much prefer it to Beautiful Child which seems to plod along in my opinion.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamwilliame View Post
I listened to this song through headphones while on my daily walk yesterday. Is this not one of the crowning achievements of the Rumours lineup and Lindsey's skill as a producer? Even in the demo stage, it was awesome. It is one of Stevie's best lyrics and vocal performances. The way the instruments weave in and out of each other in the mix, and it just builds so beautifully. There is so much subtlety in the finished production. I think that light touch is something that I miss in the work of a lot of modern music. I much prefer it to Beautiful Child which seems to plod along in my opinion.
I was happy to see Lindsey give it props (as a song, not necessarily a production) in the Tusk Deluxe book. It's a well-crafted song structurally--maybe Stevie's best since "Dreams." Emotionally, it's all there. Listening to the earlier tracks, I'm so glad that the final version toned down the drums to a solid, unobtrusive kick with a tambourine. Perfectly backgroundy to a track that highlights its lead vocal. Although I always did sort of agree with Stephen Holden in Rolling Stone in 1979 when he wrote that the track "quivers with an eerie electronic vibrato." It's the stark opposite of the sound field of "Second Hand News," "You Make Loving Fun," and "I Don't Want to Know"--the epitome of compressed delineation of instruments and vocals. Tracks like "Storms" on Tusk wobble in a Jello-y suspension, like the earth after a giant earthquake.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 06-14-2017, 10:17 PM
Ledgie

I agree, it was nice seeing Lindsey publicly acknowledge Stevie's talent like that. It was already a great song even without what he added. I also agree the version with the bigger drums is too heavy handed for such a delicate song. I never really appreciated Storms until the remastered versions started coming and you could properly hear everything that was going on. Yes, the original vinyl and cassette versions I owned were a bit murky. I think both Storms and Sara are two of Lindsey's greatest accomplishments as a producer.
Old 06-14-2017, 11:38 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamwilliame View Post
Oh you did not just diss the long-winded beauty of "Beautiful Child"

I agree that Storms is an amazing song, along with all of Stevie's contributions to Tusk. I was surprised and happy that it was chosen for inclusion of "The Very Best of" CD that came out a few years back as it's VERY deep cut.

I never noticed how the insturmentation "weaves" in and out of the mix as you put it, but you're very much right. It's so warm, drawing you in. Lyrically it's one of Stevie's best songs as well. I get chills every time she says "I have always been a storm" as it reminds me of a friend of mine.

I wish a good soundboard recording of it existed from the 2009 Unleashed tour.

"The face of a pretty girl x1,000,000" -Isn't It Midnight (The song that got me into Christine McVie)

"The sun is bright, but not too bright to see. When the darkness comes you've got to fly into the light." -Doing What I Can (The song that got me into Lindsey Buckingham)

"I can still hear you saying you would never break the chain" -The Chain (The song that got me into Fleetwood Mac)
Old 06-15-2017, 12:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes! I love this song so much. I love Beautiful Child as well but I can see what you mean about it "plodding" along, it's why I prefer the other version that was included on the Tusk Deluxe, I think it has more of a climax.

And I agree with what you said about the production. The soft, lush guitar makes a big impact on the sound and feel of the song.
Old 06-15-2017, 07:09 AM
Ledgie

And those harmonies were never more haunting.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

In my opinion, Stevie's Tusk songs are her best in Fleetwood Mac hands down. Her songwriting was genius during this time and her vocals, haunting and beautiful. I love Storms. It never fails to make me cry, especially the whole "not all the prayers in the world...could save us" part.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I think it's her best song, period.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:24 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24karatstevie View Post
In my opinion, Stevie's Tusk songs are her best in Fleetwood Mac hands down. Her songwriting was genius during this time and her vocals, haunting and beautiful. I love Storms. It never fails to make me cry, especially the whole "not all the prayers in the world...could save us" part.
I totally agree. Five outta five are great songs, and each is so distinctive. Even on Rumours, I reckon most of us would give Dreams a 10, Gold Dust Woman a 10, but I Don't Wanna Know a 7.5. (<-- Granted, the story goes that that song was put in as a 'well fine, here you go then' inferior exchange for Silver Springs, another 10.)

It's interesting about Tusk -- I admire Lindsey's production magic overall, but some of his songs on Tusk I *still* find too claustrophobic-frantic and just unenjoyable. Christine and Stevie on the other hand, I really love most of Christine's Tusk songs and all five of Stevie's. But then on the *other* other hand, a significant part of that love is due to Lindsey's choices in production and sound, on each of those songs - including the vulnerable, heartbroken intimacy of Storms. He really showed his diversity as a producer/co-producer... such a range of energies and aesthetics across the album as a whole.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Agreed, all 5 of Stevie's Tusk songs are very high quality.

Storms isn't my favourite but the harmonies in the chorus are amazing.

Nothing beats Beautiful Child for me.
Old 06-15-2017, 11:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySorcerer View Post
I think it's her best song, period.
I think her five Tusk songs (Storms, Beautiful Child, Sisters of the Moon, Angel and Sara) are her best songs. She never achieved that level of creativity again (and she hadn't before Tusk).

I agree that Storms is probably her best.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.