User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-09-2003, 05:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Hmmm..

The back-up vocals is a bit of a tricky question, but in the end I think the best solution is definitely to have them. Becuase then for whatever portion of the showit can just be raw BN ... but then on top of that you have the fuller sound when required.

As for on the album, Lindsey does do the voice alterations, but mainly for his songs. Remeber his whole thing about singing with a deep tone when in relation to Stevie . So Lindsey aint doing the backups on, for instance, Thrown Down. And Stevie these days - fraid not..her voice is a lead, not a pad! So really, without Chris or some really creative backup voice remodelling involving Lindsey and Stevie that wouldnt directly translate to what they can do on stage (an aspect I think is a driving point with this album), Mindy and so forth may as well jump aboard. Becuase FM does have a set sound to some extent, and that certainly involves YMLF/Sara/Gypsy lush background vocals. As for the 'new FM sound', thats some not all. Like Tusk ... a lot of the girl's songs retained lushness amidst the 'splintered' sounds of most of Lindsey's songs.
Old 01-09-2003, 07:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default To Alison

I certainly hope you get to see the Mac this time=:-)...It's an experience you won't forget=:-)

Let's put it this way-as long as I get to see and hear the Mac, I'm not too picky about the back-ups-it's just that I'd prefer they weren't there...but I'd never not buy an album or not go to a show because of them.

I agree we'll probably have much the same personnel on this tour as the Dance. I wonder who will play keyboards? Brett? Chris' side of the stage is gonna look mighty empty without her if they don't put somebody there...
Old 01-09-2003, 11:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Lindsey redid Big Love and Go Insane, two highlights from The Dance!!

Yes, but even still, those were already 5 year old arrangements he'd done during his "OotC" tour in 1992...his "I'm free of Fleetwood Mac finally and I'll just screw with the arrangements" phase.
Old 01-09-2003, 12:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: jmn3...

Quote:
Originally posted by wondergirl9847
the SOTM from the Mirage video is REALLY different from the Denver 82 version...and I love them both!!
Denver 82 is a great version of SOTM. It's similar to the Mirage video with the "Brother, sister, brother...." part, but yet it's almost completely different sounding. And actually, you can understand Stevie at the end in Denver...you actually here "and you say no bayyyybee", as opposed to "fdfidsaglkjsghlfjdgfldgflsdjgfasdf" on the Mirage video!
Old 01-09-2003, 05:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Another thing to point out is that a good portion of the audience whom attend Mac concerts aren't hardcore Fleetwood Mac fans like we are. They don't know what we know as far as sound on stage, etc. Even some diehard Fleetwood Mac fans don't listen close enough to realize the intricies of the music beit in the studio or live on stage. Most people go to concerts for the music, and they don't care if there are back up singers or not. All they want is a top notch performance with their favorite songs sung. To me, that's the reason why there was an addition of back up vocalists during the Tango In The Night tour because people don't want a raw performance, they want all the gloss and glitter and whatnot and backup vocalists add to the gloss and glitter.

Matt
Old 01-09-2003, 05:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Sugar
The background singers are never background enough for me. I absolutely HATE the "Runnin' in the shadows" thing they do at the end of GDW! Hardly unobtrusive!
AAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! I busted on this one!!! Me too, me too!! Where's the pukey face when I need it....

UGH!!! What WERE they thinking?? That performance was so killer, too. Why'd they ruin the spookyness of it with that background ****....

As Peter Green said, "Oh, well..."

Old 01-11-2003, 01:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by bookie29
If Christine was there then I would say no backup singers. I feel that without her they really need another voice to round out the songs. Although I love Stevie & Lindsey's harmonies, Christine's vocals really enriched the blend.
I'm in absolute agreement with that. Even though I still dislike the idea of having them in the studio recordings, there's that kind of sound that appears in that vocal from "Thrown Down" that Stevie cannot possibly reach, neither can Lindsey (except that he'd programmed his voice or whatever)... So it's a big "hmmmmmmm!" for the studio presence of backup vocalists.

Song of the moment - Jane