Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-12-2003, 05:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Heart Maurice Gibb

Quote:
Originally posted by DownOnRodeo
The BeeGees are of course Australian, yet in effect men of the world,

The BeeGees started out as a boy singing band in my city, Brisbane, and never lost that spark of youthfulness, innovation and energy.
The Bee Gees were born in Manchester, UK (very close to my birthplace). They moved to the Isle Of Man (off northwest England) when they were kids and then moved on to Australia as teenagers where they were "found" as artists playing in clubs and music halls around Brisbane. They then moved back to the UK and had a hit with "New York Mining Disaster" in April 1967, a song about a disaster in Wales, changing the name of the song in respect. After enjoying relative success they moved to the USA, settling in the great city of Miami and creating many very good songs, influencing hundreds of artists along the way.

I find the music of the Bee Gees inspiring, it is unfortunate that they had the piss taken out of them for many years here in the UK yet the public always loved them, even if the press didn't. In 1997 they received the Brit Award for outstanding Contribution To British Music (a year before Fleetwood Mac took the same award). They said it was the greatest moment of their career, in finally being accepted and honoured in their home country, a country thet had ridiculed them for many years previously.

As for the passing of Maurice, a man that I thought was very down to earth and honest without the ego that afflicted his two brothers in the band. He was the one of them that I had the most respect for, and the one I liked the most. "The quiet one" just like George Harrison.

He will be missed by many including myself.