Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-04-2024, 01:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Heart Stevie Collabarations With Other Artists

Here on one of our national broadcating radio stations, 720am today 4/03/2024, with Amber Cunningham, they played The Rolling Stones, 'Gimme Shelter', and I was thinking wouldn't it of been great, to hear Stevie and Mick Jagger, singing this together?

Then they played 'Edge of Seventeen, commenting on 'The shugging 16th note guitar riff'. Wow, just Wow!
Old 03-04-2024, 05:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownEyedGirl26 View Post
Here on one of our national broadcating radio stations, 720am today 4/03/2024, with Amber Cunningham, they played The Rolling Stones, 'Gimme Shelter', and I was thinking wouldn't it of been great, to hear Stevie and Mick Jagger, singing this together?

Then they played 'Edge of Seventeen, commenting on 'The shugging 16th note guitar riff'. Wow, just Wow!
Are you being serious or sarcastic? Stevie today could never handle such a song today. But at her peak powers she could have probably done a noble job. Merry Clayton, who sang it on the record was singing so hard that she suffered a miscarriage.
Old 03-04-2024, 07:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Are you being serious or sarcastic? Stevie today could never handle such a song today. But at her peak powers she could have probably done a noble job. Merry Clayton, who sang it on the record was singing so hard that she suffered a miscarriage.
Hi Macfan4life,
Merry Clayton's voice was incredible on this song. No-one could even come close to her on this song. I was talking in general and referring to when Stevie was at her "Peak Powers". It was just a suggestion, that's all.
Old 03-04-2024, 08:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Hi Macfan4life,
Merry Clayton's voice was incredible on this song. No-one could even come close to her on this song. I was talking in general and referring to when Stevie was at her "Peak Powers". It was just a suggestion, that's all.
Oh I can see and hear it. As I said at her peak powers she could have done a noble job. But any remake or duplication is setting itself up for failure because no one can come close to the original. Its like when people remake or try to do Stairway To Heaven.
Ppppppleeeeeeeease!
Old 03-04-2024, 10:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Gimme Shelter is the greatest "backing" vocal OF ALL TIME. They should have given her all the royalties from that song, because SHE MADE THE SONG.
Old 03-04-2024, 11:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

No one could do this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njAuEGRthuw
Old 03-04-2024, 12:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ann Wilson at age 60 did amazing on Merry’s part. Now she shouldn’t even try it.

I know Jim will jump in here as our Stones rep but I always enjoyed Lisa Fischer’s take on Merry’s part probably up until 2014.
Old 03-04-2024, 03:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Although not quite as good as Merry's, I too like Lisa's version. Lisa is amazing singer who also sang backup for Luther Vandross for years.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=868062210235205

Stevie's current voice certainly has the shout factor needed for the song, but I'm afraid the tone and range might be cringeworthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
Ann Wilson at age 60 did amazing on Merry’s part. Now she shouldn’t even try it.

I know Jim will jump in here as our Stones rep but I always enjoyed Lisa Fischer’s take on Merry’s part probably up until 2014.
Old 03-04-2024, 06:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by soul_drifter333 View Post
Although not quite as good as Merry's, I too like Lisa's version. Lisa is amazing singer who also sang backup for Luther Vandross for years.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=868062210235205

Stevie's current voice certainly has the shout factor needed for the song, but I'm afraid the tone and range might be cringeworthy.
I agree with all these comments and unfortunately, "the shout factor" and "cringeworthy" terms are not a good way to remember her!

My original, as posted, comment was only a thought. Not meant to cause dissent!

Hello to 'Dissention', if you're out there, still. They were a poster from a long time ago!
Old 03-04-2024, 07:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I agree with all these comments and unfortunately, "the shout factor" and "cringeworthy" terms are not a good way to remember her!

My original, as posted, comment was only a thought. Not meant to cause dissent!

Hello to 'Dissention', if you're out there, still. They were a poster from a long time ago!
Also now known as Distension. I don't think they've posted for a decade or longer.
Old 03-04-2024, 07:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don’t ever want to think of Stevie singing with Mick on Gimme Shelter. I don’t think even when her voice was at its peak I just can’t hear her singing that type of song.
Old 03-04-2024, 08:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Very interesting. Is there more information on Merry Clayton's miscarriage after delivering the vocal on "Gimme Shelter"?

I remember seeing the documentary "20 Feet from Stardom" that featured this story. Evidently, a very pregnant Merry Clayton at home asleep when she received a phone call from The Stones in the middle of the night asking her to come to the studio. She showed up half asleep with rollers in her hair and delivered the vocal in the sound booth.

How long after the recording did she lose the unborn child? Do you think the stress and strain of delivering the searing vocal was the cause of the miscarriage? Since I heard this story, I always cringe a bit every time I hear the song.
Old 03-05-2024, 12:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post
Very interesting. Is there more information on Merry Clayton's miscarriage after delivering the vocal on "Gimme Shelter"?

I remember seeing the documentary "20 Feet from Stardom" that featured this story. Evidently, a very pregnant Merry Clayton at home asleep when she received a phone call from The Stones in the middle of the night asking her to come to the studio. She showed up half asleep with rollers in her hair and delivered the vocal in the sound booth.

How long after the recording did she lose the unborn child? Do you think the stress and strain of delivering the searing vocal was the cause of the miscarriage? Since I heard this story, I always cringe a bit every time I hear the song.
The stress and strain probably did contribute! Very sad! She really did, suffer for her art unfortunately! I hope she knows how much we appreciate the price she had to pay. If we could take it back, we would. Nothing is worth the price that she had to pay!
Old 03-05-2024, 04:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post

I think it immediately happened when she got home and was taken to the hospital. There is a documentary about it. Very sad. Her giving it all in the studio most likely lost her baby. There is some other fascinating stuff. I think they intended for her to do it again but I think it was Mick that thought it was so good when her voice cracks and they kept it.

During the Mac's height of fame in the mid 70s, the Rolling Stones would check into hotels as "Fleetwood Mac" on their tours and then trash the hotel room. Mick Fleetwood and the band would actually get invoices for the damage.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 03-05-2024 at 04:24 AM..
Old 03-05-2024, 05:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
During the Mac's height of fame in the mid 70s, the Rolling Stones would check into hotels as "Fleetwood Mac" on their tours and then trash the hotel room. Mick Fleetwood and the band would actually get invoices for the damage.
The Faces did this too. It's actually really funny.