User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
What really sucks for fans is that there are no bootleg recordings of any of their live shows (which were very few in their short-live career -about 35 concert appearances in total). There is hardly any information about their shows, tour schedules, set lists, reviews etc...only one or two photos of them on stage.
Do you know about the Monterey International Pop Festival box set from 1992? Their entire set, with a cameo from Scott McKenzie, is on it. You can find them on eBay.

ETA: Here's the set-list

Straight Shooter
Got a Feelin'
California Dreamin'
I Call Your Name
Monday, Monday
San Francisco (Be Sure to Wear Flowers in Your Hair)
Dancing in the Street

THE Stephen Hopkins

Last edited by SteveMacD; 09-02-2014 at 09:11 PM..
Old 09-03-2014, 10:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon View Post
Christine: I have been aware of rumors Christine may have recorded a solo LP in the 1990s. It would have been similar to In the Meantime with Mick, John and Billy contributing along with George Hawkins and Steve Ferrone. Mentioning Brett, I wonder if he and Christine met during this time.
This is the first time I've ever heard about this- do you have any supporting information?
Old 09-04-2014, 01:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Do you know about the Monterey International Pop Festival box set from 1992? Their entire set, with a cameo from Scott McKenzie, is on it. You can find them on eBay.

ETA: Here's the set-list

Straight Shooter
Got a Feelin'
California Dreamin'
I Call Your Name
Monday, Monday
San Francisco (Be Sure to Wear Flowers in Your Hair)
Dancing in the Street
Thanks! I fully aware of it. I have several copies of it, including a rare original poster from the event. They also performed Somebody Groovy. A few years ago a DVD set was released, featuring the Festival movie, as well as amazing outtake performances and interviews. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to transport themselves back to a the height of the flower power era.

It was only recorded for the documentary of the Festival. ( John and Michelle were on the board of directors.) This was in the latter part of their career. Busy working the Festival, they didn't have time to rehearse for the show, even though they were the headliners featured to close the 3 day event.

Denny flew in from Canada at the last moment before they appeared on stage. To make matter worse, Jimi Hendrix performed prior to them, and the stage was left in a mess. There were technical problems, including Michelle's mike being faulty. And it wasn't their normal touring band,which consisted of the much lauded/in demand Wrecking Crew.

They went on to do a few more live shows before disbanding. But they sadly admitted that this was their worst performance. How ironic that it is their only performance ever recorded. They prided themselves for being able to reasonably replicate their record performances live on stage, despite all the studio overdubs.

Lots of bands from their era have archives/bootleg live shows. But the Mamas & Papas weren't a heavy road band (they have their fill of that in their struggling folk days). They did a few short, small show stint tours in big markets over a two year span -1966-1967.

But there is no evidence of these shows anywhere, other than a few news clips/reviews. It would be a like finding the holey grail if a recording one of their shows when they were at their peak surfaced. There is almost no documentation - not even of their set lists. It's very frustrating for fans.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 09-04-2014 at 01:40 AM..
Old 09-07-2014, 12:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
To add to the drama, Michelle was fired from the group soon after the success of their first album because she was ****ing around with The Byrd's Gene Clark. They did a few shows and started recording a new album with her replacement , Jill Gibson, their producer Lou Adler's girlfriend. They even had an album cover mocked up with Jill in it. Michelle begged her way back into the group. The resulting album has vocals with both Michelle and Jill. And Cass got busted for bringing pot to the UK, and their shows there were cancelled. She died, while on a solo tour in London in the same apartment Keith Moon died in years later.

Two years later, after they had all gone their separate ways, each of them was sued for a million dollars because they walked away from their record contract while owing the company one more album. They had to regroup one more time to avoid the law suit. What really sucks for fans is that there are no bootleg recordings of any of their live shows (which were very few in their short-live career -about 35 concert appearances in total). There is hardly any information about their shows, tour schedules, set lists, reviews etc...only one or two photos of them on stage.
PenguinHead, do you know anything about Mama Cass' connection to Voytek Frykowski and Abigail Folger, who were victims of The Manson Family at Sharon Tate's house? I heard that Cass had a boyfriend who was basically using her for the money and he had connections to Sharon Tate and her friends. Supposedly, Cass also lived in Benedict or Laurel Canyon.
Old 09-08-2014, 12:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post
PenguinHead, do you know anything about Mama Cass' connection to Voytek Frykowski and Abigail Folger, who were victims of The Manson Family at Sharon Tate's house? I heard that Cass had a boyfriend who was basically using her for the money and he had connections to Sharon Tate and her friends. Supposedly, Cass also lived in Benedict or Laurel Canyon.
Interesting! Well I know Cass had a house in Laurel Canyon. She was essentially the welcoming committee for all the English rock stars who came to the US. There are photos of Graham Nash, Joni Mitchel, Steven Stills, Neil Young and Eric Clapton etc...hanging out at her house. Cass was a social matchmaker bringing people together.

Cass had a boyfriend who was not of the standard she deserved. Given that it was small community of people in the entertainment business, I'm sure she and her boyfriend crossed paths with Sharon Tate and her associates. John and Michelle Phillips hosted big parties at their house. They were friends with Sharon, so it's likely they were all part of that that social scene to a certain extent.

If I had access to my books, I could give you more detailed answers. I love studying that era of music/history.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 09-08-2014 at 12:46 AM..
Old 09-24-2014, 04:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
Time, as it was released, was pretty much a "compromise" album. WB had rejected the original album that was submitted with the title Another Link In The Chain due to Christine's complete absence from the album. It was all Bekka, Billy & Dave's compositions.
Fascinating, I never knew that before. I wonder what the rejected songs were like.

It seems a shame to me that Billy, having contributed five songs to BTM, seems limited to hiding in Bekka's shadow on Time. DM meanwhile had to co-write his contributions with outside writers. You didn't sense the same organic unity between Burnette and Mason as you did with Burnette and Vito. As for Bekka, well only one of her three solo leads was written by her at all, while one was supplied by an outside writer and the other was just an old song of her dad's that she wrote an extra verse for.

BTM was a much more organically joined album with members collaborating on songwriting together a lot more.

Time is listenable and I was sorry to see it on one guy's ten worst of all time list but it didn't surprise me how quickly the line-up collapsed.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I just skimmed the liner notes again and saw Neale Heywood mentioned.

This album gets weirder every time I look at it.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 09-29-2014, 11:08 PM
Ledgie

I've always found Lindsey to be the most bizarre addition to Time. What was it he did, again? Backing vocals on Nothing Without You? Yeah, weird.

I also find it funny how everyone conveniently forgets about Lindsey's contributions to Time, BTM and The Chain Boxset whenever they talk about his time away from the band.
Old 09-30-2014, 02:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turn It On View Post
I've always found Lindsey to be the most bizarre addition to Time. What was it he did, again? Backing vocals on Nothing Without You? Yeah, weird.
He's credited as being on Nothing Without You but I can barely make him out on that track. The odd thing is that I swear I can hear his voice on Winds of Change too. If it's not Lindsey, I don't know who it is. I asked Richard Dashut- no response though.

Lindsey's Hitchcockian blink-and-you-miss-it vocal backing on Paper Doll enhances the song, but only just. It's not the greatest, is it?
Old 09-30-2014, 07:19 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Scarrott View Post
He's credited as being on Nothing Without You but I can barely make him out on that track. The odd thing is that I swear I can hear his voice on Winds of Change too. If it's not Lindsey, I don't know who it is. I asked Richard Dashut- no response though.

Lindsey's Hitchcockian blink-and-you-miss-it vocal backing on Paper Doll enhances the song, but only just. It's not the greatest, is it?
I'm actually a big fan of Paper Doll, although I concede that it's not exactly going to be winning any awards anytime soon. I've always loved Lindsey's guitar on Behind the Mask as well, it makes it a far superior song than it otherwise would've been.
Old 10-01-2014, 01:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Scarrott View Post

Cr\ikey! Didn't know he was on it!
Old 10-01-2014, 02:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murrow View Post
Cr\ikey! Didn't know he was on it!
His overdubs are very subtle- listen out for him singing/whispering "else" at 0:57 and 2:51. I didn't notice him until somebody else pointed it out.

I can't agree with Turn it on re Behind the Mask though. By a long stretch, I think that mysterious song is the most deserving of being in the band's canon from that album. I like Lindsey's contribution but it seems a bit phoned-in, weedy, almost. I wonder if he's playing the bit of acoustic-sounding guitar at the end- it's very Lindsey-esque.

The hypnotic Make me a mask I do like very much, however. Too bad that it's A Fleetwood Mac song in name only. It's a pity he didn't appear on Heart of Stone or Love Shines, though.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:27 PM
Ledgie

I would have loved to have heard him on Love Shines and Heart Of Stone, I love both those songs.

Mind you, I've always wondered how a whole album with that line up would have been. Chris, Mick, John, Billy Rick. I think it would have been quite good, based on the limited evidence we have.
Old 10-02-2014, 04:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turn It On View Post
I would have loved to have heard him on Love Shines and Heart Of Stone, I love both those songs.

Mind you, I've always wondered how a whole album with that line up would have been. Chris, Mick, John, Billy Rick. I think it would have been quite good, based on the limited evidence we have.
There is doubt that Rick is on LS & HOS and that any lead guitar on those tracks may actually even be an unknown session player.

John

Last edited by wetcamelfood; 10-02-2014 at 06:12 PM..
Old 10-02-2014, 06:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetcamelfood View Post
There is doubt that Rick is on LS & HOS and that any lead guitar on those tracks may actually even be an unknown session player.

John
Definitely no Rick on those two tracks. BB in Love Shines video though.

Sigh, that BTM line-up were good enough to muster another album or two imo.