The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-30-2019, 08:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Stevie Nicks - Stand Back (Single CD Release)

Got the single CD version of Stand back yesterday. Great songs but poorly put together. The credits are very wrong as it listens nearly everything as being a single version. Here is the real deal:
1. Edge of Seventeen – appears to be a new edit at 4’34 as the US edit was 4’05 and the UK edit was 3’36. This “new” edit restores a refrain that was cut out of the single versions (probably at Stevie’s request)
2. Stop Draggin’ My Heart Around (actually is the LP Version)
3. Leather and Lace – this is the 3’32 edit that was on the original 7″ singles
4. Rooms on Fire (Listed as US Single Version but it’s actually the LP Version)
5. Stand Back – this is the actual single version
6. If Anyone Falls – listed as single version, but it’s the LP Version. I don’t recall there even being a “Single Version”.
7. Talk To Me (listed as single version but it’s the LP Version)
8. I Can’t Wait (this is the actual single remix, first time on an official Stevie compilation)
Everything else on the CD except “Maybe Love” which is the radio mix, is the standard album version. The two live songs are taken from the concert shown in the 1982 video “Stevie Nicks in Concert”.

This is a cheaply made release, no liner notes, just a couple of pics and credits. Tracks are in chronological order except for the strange placement of “Rooms on Fire” and the unnecessary live tracks.
Old 03-30-2019, 10:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahafan02 View Post
Got the single CD version of Stand back yesterday. Great songs but poorly put together. The credits are very wrong as it listens nearly everything as being a single version. Here is the real deal:
1. Edge of Seventeen – appears to be a new edit at 4’34 as the US edit was 4’05 and the UK edit was 3’36. This “new” edit restores a refrain that was cut out of the single versions (probably at Stevie’s request)
2. Stop Draggin’ My Heart Around (actually is the LP Version)
3. Leather and Lace – this is the 3’32 edit that was on the original 7″ singles
4. Rooms on Fire (Listed as US Single Version but it’s actually the LP Version)
5. Stand Back – this is the actual single version
6. If Anyone Falls – listed as single version, but it’s the LP Version. I don’t recall there even being a “Single Version”.
7. Talk To Me (listed as single version but it’s the LP Version)
8. I Can’t Wait (this is the actual single remix, first time on an official Stevie compilation)
Everything else on the CD except “Maybe Love” which is the radio mix, is the standard album version. The two live songs are taken from the concert shown in the 1982 video “Stevie Nicks in Concert”.

This is a cheaply made release, no liner notes, just a couple of pics and credits. Tracks are in chronological order except for the strange placement of “Rooms on Fire” and the unnecessary live tracks.
I don’t think they put a lot of thought into it. It’s not her best and some of the choices are just weird.
Old 03-30-2019, 11:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahafan02 View Post

"Blue Denim" is the Chris Lord-Alge single/radio remix. First appearance on any official release as it was only ever released previously on radio promo CD's.

The 2 live tracks were also featured on the Bella Donna deluxe as part of the live CD and are taken from the radio broadcast. "Dreams" suffers with a rather dodgy edit where the segue with "Outside The Rain" ended.

All in all, I agree. The whole thing looks and feels cheap. The remastering is particularly harsh too. Very compressed and LOUD as hell. The 'Bella Donna' and 'The Wild Heart' remasters were flawless. Compressed just enough to add a bit of volume for modern listening on mobile devices but not enough to cause any harshness or loss of dynamics when listening on better equipment. This release, however, is compressed to death.

Also, did anyone else notice the weird mixing with the vocals on some tracks? "Talk To Me" is the worst offender - listen to the difference in the vocals on the first chorus after the final "you can talk to me" and "you can set your secrets free baby". It's literally like someone shouting in your ear.
Old 03-30-2019, 02:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I wondered about Blue Denim but I'm not a fan of that song so I didn't notice the difference. I listened to Talk To Me and "you can set your secrets free baby" does sound a little louder then the rest of the vocals. OK I can now hear the difference in Blue Denim between this version and the LP version.

Last edited by ahafan02; 03-30-2019 at 02:36 PM..
Old 03-30-2019, 11:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

So I heard Crystal and Maybe Love Will Change Your Mind and it seems like they toned down the wretched vocals. Very surprised. I actually like the remastered versions of these songs a lot better. Wondering how the rest fairs. Still can’t believe they put Magnet and Steel on this album. She is basically barely audible singing harmony. Ridiculous choice.
Old 03-31-2019, 08:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

So I've bought the single disc release and I am now listening to the 3 disc version on Apple Music.

Obviously at this stage, we don't know which versions of songs will be included on what physical releases since neither the 3 CD version of the vinyl version have been released yet.

However, on Apple Music, ALL tracks (including Blue Denim & Maybe Love) are the album versions. So it seems like the physical, hard copy release will be the only way to get the single edits of Edge, Stand Back, Leather & Lace and the remixes of Maybe Love and Blue Denim.

The version of "Sleeping Angel" is the original soundtrack version, as included with the Deluxe Bella Donna, so Enchanted remains the only please to get the Chris Lord-Alge remix.

Last edited by TheWILDheart; 03-31-2019 at 08:05 AM..