User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-28-2004, 06:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
Wow. I know one band who's not getting any hugs from Diss! I wasn't really that critical of them, after all, they've been famous and rich for a billion years...And i know everyone hates mick, and he's a louse and all, but i think he's interesting and funny and expressive when he talks, so i don't really care. Yes, John is clearly the best, but he's a repub, too I dunno, I figure if that was me, people would find a lot wrong with my personality, too.
But i tell you what, if i was in that band i'd have trouble not rolling my eyes at Lindsey, all the time. My friend from Palo Alto kind of talks like that too I'm like "are we going to see the point anytime soon, or should I get a snack?" Geez, diss, do you even like this band?
Just because I like their music, it doesn't mean that I like their egotistical behavior.

I think the problem is that they've been sheltered and spoiled rock stars for so long that they have no sense of the real world, only what they've been exposed to for thirty years. Which is money, adoration, material things, and free reign to act however they want. I just have a problem relating to such spolied people, especially when they piss and moan about how they're doing it for the art (yet "pray to the commercial gods") and compare themselves to indie directors who make no money and live in two bedroom flats. I mean, get a clue. You people do not live on the same Earth that we common folk do and I just find the behavior more ridiculous and laughable than anything else.

I can tell you right now that I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I acted like that or made all that money for recording freakin' songs. I'd feel so incredibly unworthy, especially when there are people who know what it means to live a hard life. Not getting three more of your songs on a record is far from heartbreaking.

Last edited by dissention; 11-28-2004 at 06:25 PM..
Old 11-28-2004, 06:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
Just because I like their music, it doesn't mean that I like their egotistical behavior.

I think the problem is that they've been sheltered and spoiled rock stars for so long that they have no sense of the real world, only what they've been exposed to for thirty years. Which is money, adoration, material things, and free reign to act however they want. I just have a problem relating to such spolied people, especially when they piss and moan about how they're doing it for the art (yet "pray to the commercial gods") and compare themselves to indie directors who make no money and live in two bedroom flats. I mean, get a clue. You people do not live on the same Earth that we common folk do and I just find the behavior more ridiculous and laughable than anything else.
yeah. The weird thing is, i suspect Lindsey was always like that anyway...
Old 11-28-2004, 06:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Mick is a louse. Plain and simple. Always has been and always will be in my book. He's a greedy schmuck with diminishing drumming skills.

Lindsey needs to get a clue. Comparing himself to Todd Solondz? Puhleeze. Get a grip, you're a corporate rocker who caters to whoever is paying you.

Stevie, as you pointed out, comes across as very self-important. But I thinks she's just as pompous as Lindsey and there were a few times I wanted to grab her arm to see if she had warm blood.

Love John, though.
Hope this wouldn't bring to barricades again, but Stevie really surprised me in DR doc, she proved to be much more level-headed than I thought. Besides , her and John's sense of humour were a great relief to the whole album making saga .

Romy

Non vogliate negar l'esperienza
di retro al sol, del mondo sanza gente
Considerate la vostra semenza
fatti non foste a viver come bruti
ma per seguir virtute e canoscenza ~ Dante Alighieri, Divina Commedia, Inferno Canto XXVI
Old 11-28-2004, 06:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
yeah. The weird thing is, i suspect Lindsey was always like that anyway...
I think both he and Stevie were always like that. They didn't suffer from living in low-class and poor backgrounds, they never hurted for money, they always had parents to wipe their asses, etc. They both come across as spoiled people who became even more vulgar as they got richer.

But the music's great.

Old 11-28-2004, 06:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think both he and Stevie were always like that. They didn't suffer from living in low-class and poor backgrounds, they never hurted for money, they always had parents to wipe their asses, etc. They both come across as spoiled people who became even more vulgar as they got richer.

But the music's great.
Oh come on, that's such a cliche, if you don't come from low-class and poor backgrounds, you're headed to become a**? Can I point you out some rappers' lifestyle and behaviour?

Romy

ma per seguir virtute e canoscenza ~ Dante Alighieri, Divina Commedia, Inferno Canto XXVI
Old 11-28-2004, 06:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:

But the music's great.
yeah but i kind of agree with Romy, I thought Stevie came out ok. And the good thing about her is, she's never pretended that she didn't want to be a famous rock n' roll star. She's always been ambitious. She plays the game, and doesn't really pretend otherwise. To me that's more refreshing than...uh...not doing that...
Old 11-28-2004, 06:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serrart
Oh come on, that's such a cliche, if you don't come from low-class and poor backgrounds, you're headed to become a**? Can I point you out some rappers' lifestyle and behaviour?

Romy
You obviously missed my point. The point was that I think they were rather snobbish to begin with and their meteoric success only exacberated it.

Old 11-28-2004, 06:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I have a friend who has always thought Lindsey was underrated and that Stevie was just a space-cadet prima-donna thorn-in-Lindsey's-side who didn't deserve all the attention. Now I'm not saying it maybe hasn't been that way at times, but I think this footage at least makes Stevie look fairly like the agreeable, grounded one while it makes Lindsey look like the temper tantrum throwing ego maniac. The whole band was on eggshells about wanting to convince him to make a single album. That was so easy to understand. I mean, make a statement on your solo album Lindsey, it's not gonna sell either way. But Fleetwood Mac needed a strong more pop record for a big "comeback", not a Tusk pt.2. So what, it didn't have 2 discs in the pack, it was still longer than Tusk.
While I do beleive they have all lived in a cushioned rock star world, I also beleive: Stevie would've been eccentric no matter what her life became. I have dated a Gemini and have a Gemini sister, neither of whom are rock stars, both of whom are whack! I also beleive the chip on Lindsey's shoulder is much larger than that of Stevie's. She is actually the Peacekeeper now, JMO!
Old 11-28-2004, 06:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
yeah but i kind of agree with Romy, I thought Stevie came out ok. And the good thing about her is, she's never pretended that she didn't want to be a famous rock n' roll star. She's always been ambitious. She plays the game, and doesn't really pretend otherwise. To me that's more refreshing than...uh...not doing that...
I agree with that, but I don't think she came out of that doc looking like a rose. Lindsey obviously looked the worst, he made a fool out of himself with most of things he said. He needs a heavy dose of reality. But Stevie? "Assistant" always in tow? Praying to the commercial gods? Gimme a break. She needs a dose of reality from the same bottle as Lindsey. These people are practically aliens.

Old 11-28-2004, 06:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
You obviously missed my point. The point was that I think they were rather snobbish to begin with and their meteoric success only exacberated it.
I think I got it the first time too, thanks for the check out though!

Romy

Old 11-28-2004, 06:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serrart
I think I got it the first time too, thanks for the check out though!

Romy
Your previous comment didn't prove such, but you're quite welcome.

Old 11-28-2004, 06:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I agree with that, but I don't think she came out of that doc looking like a rose. Lindsey obviously looked the worst, he made a fool out of himself with most of things he said. He needs a heavy dose of reality. But Stevie? "Assistant" always in tow? Praying to the commercial gods? Gimme a break. She needs a dose of reality from the same bottle as Lindsey. These people are practically aliens.
Hmmm, I don't mind Stevie's assistant. I just naturally assumed people like her would need one to keep their sh** straight. Plus, i get the feeling Stevie doesn't *love* to be by herself. Also, stevie has always tried to be commercial. which as i stated previously, i don't mind. But my fav. parts of DR was when they were practicing music, i think it could've used a whole lot more of that.
Old 11-28-2004, 06:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Hmmm, I don't mind Stevie's assistant. I just naturally assumed people like her would need one to keep their sh** straight. Plus, i get the feeling Stevie doesn't *love* to be by herself. Also, stevie has always tried to be commercial. which as i stated previously, i don't mind. But my fav. parts of DR was when they were practicing music, i think it could've used a whole lot more of that.
She wasn't "by herself," she had the rest of the players with her. I was just shocked at how often that damned assistant was there. Check the studio logs and she'll probably log in more hours than Miss Nicks. I don't think Stevie set out to be commercial or always wanted to be, I think that her rather abrupt success engrained in her mind that she had to continue pursuing the same kind of music that made her so successful, which just happened to get more commercial as the years wore on and she feared alienating her audience with different kinds of things. It's a shame, but most artists are like that.

DR sucks for the simple fact that it's all drama and nothing else. I wanted to hear and see the songs being constructed. What a missed opportunity that was.

Old 11-28-2004, 06:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I would have loved to see and hear much more music too, especially from the rehearsals... I can't believe they've played Storms and there wasn't a single second of it on the doc.

Romy

Old 11-28-2004, 06:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
She wasn't "by herself," she had the rest of the players with her. I was just shocked at how often that damned assistant was there. Check the studio logs and she'll probably log in more hours than Miss Nicks. I don't think Stevie set out to be commercial or always wanted to be, I think that her rather abrupt success engrained in her mind that she had to continue pursuing the same kind of music that made her so successful, which just happened to get more commercial as the years wore on and she feared alienating her audience with different kinds of things. It's a shame, but most artists are like that.

DR sucks for the simple fact that it's all drama and nothing else. I wanted to hear and see the songs being constructed. What a missed opportunity that was.
I agree about missed opportunity. in the end, when they were practicing "world turning" for the show, i was like damn, the whole thing coulda been like this! But i disagree about Stevie not setting out to be commercial. From the evidence i've garnered, she always had her eyes on the prize...but the other prize was making good music, which i think she also always had her eyes on. but, whatever... And I'm not sure she had a fear of alienating her audience, I think she mostly likes similar kinds of songs, and thinks of similar songs only. but hey, i could be wrong. doesn't seem likely, though