The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-02-2018, 09:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Stevie In 1995 On Why She Quit And The Futility Of Trying To Replace Rumours Lineup

4:44-mark here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=6vEMZmX3MKU

Narrator: "For her, the Rumours lineup of the band had been its high point."

Stevie: "It’s just not replaceable, you know? Mick can go on forever and ever trying to replace it, but he can’t. It never will happen – ever. So I just didn’t want to go through the grief of trying to create something out of something that had already been – and had already been about as big as you can get."

Last edited by cbBen; 11-02-2018 at 09:37 PM..
Old 11-03-2018, 02:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbBen View Post
4:44-mark here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=6vEMZmX3MKU

Narrator: "For her, the Rumours lineup of the band had been its high point."

Stevie: "It’s just not replaceable, you know? Mick can go on forever and ever trying to replace it, but he can’t. It never will happen – ever. So I just didn’t want to go through the grief of trying to create something out of something that had already been – and had already been about as big as you can get."
ah yes, when she was mad at Mick and using the press to vent at him. This was around when he wouldn't let her use Silver Springs.

Now she's not mad at him, she's mad at Lindsey. So she's onboard with Mick again. Very manipulative.
Old 11-03-2018, 10:49 AM
Senior Ledgie

#BelieveAllWomen
Old 11-03-2018, 05:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sands of time View Post
#BelieveAllWomen

#belivecrediblewomen

#benifitofdoubtuntilprovenguiltyincourtoflawandnotpublichesteria
Old 11-03-2018, 06:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

"So today she says 'well I've changed my mind'... that's a woman's right, they say..."
Old 11-03-2018, 06:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think Stevie would say that they’re not trying to replace the Rumours lineup this time out.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 11-03-2018, 09:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

the word is 'hysteria'
Old 11-03-2018, 09:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
I think Stevie would say that they’re not trying to replace the Rumours lineup this time out.
Except for the fact that if a new album ever does materialize and it has songs on it that are actually new and not old rehashed demos, we all know damn well chances are high that they'll be lyrical stones thrown at Lindsey - Rumours 2.0. With that said, that wouldn't exactly be the worst thing ever. lol
Old 11-04-2018, 02:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenshiMaster16 View Post
Except for the fact that if a new album ever does materialize and it has songs on it that are actually new and not old rehashed demos, we all know damn well chances are high that they'll be lyrical stones thrown at Lindsey - Rumours 2.0. With that said, that wouldn't exactly be the worst thing ever. lol
Like they could still write like that!

And WHO was the musical genius that MADE it what it was? Oh yeah, the guy the hag fired.

Best you can hope for is Behind The Mask, II.

Enjoy your Second Time around lamesville.
Old 11-04-2018, 09:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Of course she would say that, but that's exactly what they're doing. In the current set there are what, 6 songs, that aren't from the 1975-87 era. And out of those 6, 1 was played by the Rumours lineup for years, and 2 aren't Fleetwood Mac songs at all. Why aren't Stephanie's songs from Behind the Mask being played? Where are Christine's songs from before 1975?
Old 11-04-2018, 09:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmn3 View Post
Of course she would say that, but that's exactly what they're doing. In the current set there are what, 6 songs, that aren't from the 1975-87 era. And out of those 6, 1 was played by the Rumours lineup for years, and 2 aren't Fleetwood Mac songs at all. Why aren't Stephanie's songs from Behind the Mask being played? Where are Christine's songs from before 1975?
Point and score!
Old 11-04-2018, 12:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Of course she would say that, but that's exactly what they're doing.
Not like they were in 1987. Mike Campbell and Neil Finn have had legendary careers before joining the band. They have their own very public images/personas.

Billy Burnette was only notable for being the son of Dorsey Burnette, nephew of Johnny Burnette, cousin of Rocky Burnette, and friend/associate of Fleetwood Mac, while Rick was just a sideman and session player. They were very clearly trying to mask that Lindsey wasn’t there (no pun intended). They basically dressed Billy up like Lindsey and had him play a white Les Paul. Look at these two pics from 1987.

Quote:
In the current set there are what, 6 songs, that aren't from the 1975-87 era. And out of those 6, 1 was played by the Rumours lineup for years, and 2 aren't Fleetwood Mac songs at all. Why aren't Stephanie's songs from Behind the Mask being played? Where are Christine's songs from before 1975?
“Oh Well” was played on every tour before The Dance, except for Kiln House. Bob Welch, Rick Vito, and Billy Burnette continued playing it after leaving the band, and I doubt it was coincidence that TPATH played it when Stevie toured with them.

That said, I would have been happier to see SHN and MM get cut before Hypnotized and I Got You.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 11-04-2018, 01:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Like they could still write like that!

And WHO was the musical genius that MADE it what it was? Oh yeah, the guy the hag fired.

Best you can hope for is Behind The Mask, II.

Enjoy your Second Time around lamesville.
Agreed fully.
Old 11-04-2018, 01:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Not like they were in 1987. Mike Campbell and Neil Finn have had legendary careers before joining the band. They have their own very public images/personas.

Billy Burnette was only notable for being the son of Dorsey Burnette, nephew of Johnny Burnette, cousin of Rocky Burnette, and friend/associate of Fleetwood Mac, while Rick was just a sideman and session player. They were very clearly trying to mask that Lindsey wasn’t there (no pun intended). They basically dressed Billy up like Lindsey and had him play a white Les Paul. Look at these two pics from 1987.

“Oh Well” was played on every tour before The Dance, except for Kiln House. Bob Welch, Rick Vito, and Billy Burnette continued playing it after leaving the band, and I doubt it was coincidence that TPATH played it when Stevie toured with them.

That said, I would have been happier to see SHN and MM get cut before Hypnotized and I Got You.
I don't know Steve...while I was too young in 1987 to remember how it played out, it's my opinion that they are doing exactly the same thing. Sure they aren't dressing anyone up like Lindsey (would literally never work in the age of social media - the they'd get destroyed for that), but they're continuing to rest on their 1975-87 work under the guise of exploring their 50-year history or whatever crap they're spewing. Stevie implied back in April that it was due to Lindsey that all of the pre-1975 stuff was never in the setlist - now they have the chance and they play Oh Well (which as you pointed out, has pretty much been played by every incarnation of Fleetwood Mac), Black Magic Woman (which with the reworded lyrics is a giant eye roll complete with Stevie being like "OMG even I didn't know it was Fleetwood Mac!?"...except for the last 44 years that she has known it), and Tell Me All the Things You Do (which along with Hypnotized were some of the best parts of the set IMO). Campbell gets to recreate Lindsey's solos on GYOW, The Chain, Gypsy, etc. The arrangements of all of the songs are essentially the same as they were on the last tour.

If they really wanted to start fresh and show the world that Fleetwood Mac is more than the Lindsey Buckingham show, half the set should have been different at least, and they should have recorded something new together that they'd do live. There are MANY gems that are totally ignored even from the 75-87 timeframe. But they won't do that. They'll continue to pump out the same songs and get reviews saying that Finn "sounds like Buckingham" because it works - the general attendee is like "OMG STEVIE TWIRLED AROUND! I LOVE HERRRRRR SHE'S THE QUEEEEN" and doesn't care that a different male voice is singing Go Your Own Way.
Old 11-04-2018, 03:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I don't know Steve...while I was too young in 1987 to remember how it played out, it's my opinion that they are doing exactly the same thing.
I wasn't too young in '87 to remember, and the band is doing exactly the same thing. Steve is playing contrarian devil's advocate once again. I don't know why he does that, but it generally results in a very knowledgeable guy distending and distorting data into all manner of unreasonable and daffy conclusions.

Quote:
Sure they aren't dressing anyone up like Lindsey
That didn't happen to Billy or Rick, either. Steve is full of it. On the 1987 and 1990 tours, Billy was Billy and Rick was Rick. Nobody "played" Lindsey. Unfortunately for the band's music, nobody played the idiosyncratic (and syncretistic) studio visionary experimenting with instrumentation and vocals and concocting elaborate arrangements (the Brian Wilsonish musical equivalent of "personal filmmaking") to "shake people's preconceptions about pop." This idea of dressing people up is really beneath Steve's intelligence.

Quote:
They're continuing to rest on their 1975-87 work under the guise of exploring their 50-year history or whatever crap they're spewing.
Of course. We all know it; we all see it. Even the people arguing otherwise (including the band themselves) know it in their hearts. Every configuration of the band since 1987 has been profoundly unwilling or unable to even partially shake off the Rumours band and its effect on the culture. Adding a pre-Rumours song here or a Split Enz song there (or a Delaney and Bonnie song or a Dylan song or a Sons of the Pioneers song) doesn't change that fact. It's just swapping out some seasoning in the same basic dish.

Quote:
Campbell gets to recreate Lindsey's solos on GYOW, The Chain, Gypsy, etc. The arrangements of all of the songs are essentially the same as they were on the last tour.
Precisely. None of that material has been reimagined as anything other than a faithful duplication of the old albums. Even the general progression of the traditional set is kept (The Chain and Dreams early on, acoustic songs halfway through, and Go Your Own Way and Don't Stop as closers).

If the band wants the big money, it needs to do this. I would never blame the band for doing this, but I certainly won't pretend that something else is happening musically.

moviekinks.blogspot.com