Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-26-2018, 10:47 AM
Senior Ledgie

Default Eagles are doing it....why not FM

I wonder if because the Eagles (no fault of their own) are doing a sort of reboot, if FM thinks they can pull it off too. At least the Eagles have a good reason. Now I'm thinking I should have gotten tickets to the Eagles instead of holding out for FM! Argh!
Old 04-26-2018, 11:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The common denominator--Irv Azoff.

Someone dying isn't the same as getting fired. But if people are willing to pay to see them, regardless of the line-up then so be it. Pay to go or not. I have zero interest in the Eagles line-up. Ugh. Glad I saw them in 2015.
Old 04-26-2018, 11:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM77 View Post
The common denominator--Irv Azoff.

Someone dying isn't the same as getting fired. But if people are willing to pay to see them, regardless of the line-up then so be it. Pay to go or not. I have zero interest in the Eagles line-up. Ugh. Glad I saw them in 2015.
No disrespect is meant in what I am about to say, but GF is dead, and they got MC because Tom Petty is too. Not an apples to apples comparison if the guy you are replacing is deceased.
Old 04-26-2018, 11:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

One died, one was fired. Unless we compare Don Felder firing with Lindsey Buckingham firing. That is similar.

I was angry about Don Felder, and I am angry about Lindsey.

These bands are part of our history, our memories and us. To fire and replace someone makes me so sad and disappointed.
Old 04-26-2018, 12:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Sorry but it isn’t the same thing at all. Glen died and that was the only reason there was a change.

And as much as I appreciate what Don Felder did for the Eagles and think the way Henley and Frey treated him was ****ty, he wasn’t to the Eagles what Lindsey was to Fleetwood Mac.
Old 04-26-2018, 05:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I'm pissed off about the "Eagles" continuing because after Glenn Frey died, Don Henley swore he wouldn't continue the band, that Glenn was irreplaceable, that he and Glenn started the band together and were its only original members and thus it would be "greedy" and "desperate" to continue the Eagles without him, etc.... and he was right.

Then Irving Azoff came along, waved a bunch of money under Henley's nose to do the Classic shows, Henley realized how much money they could make even without Glenn, and all of the sudden Henley's declaration of "no Eagles without Glenn" didn't mean *****.

It's Don Henley's band now, but enough casual fans are still buying tickets to see the "Eagles" to make it worth their while. They don't care that it's Vince Gill warbling "Take It Easy" instead of Glenn Frey. They just want to sing along to the hits.

I bet the same will be true for Fleetwood Mac.

Last edited by sodascouts; 04-26-2018 at 05:08 PM..
Old 04-26-2018, 05:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Re: Eagles
I saw them twice last month, and I will say that it was VERY touching having Deacon(Glenn's son) taking his place. When they introduced him, the crowd went wild, and at the end of one Glenn's songs that he sang, they put a pic of Glenn on the big screen at the end, for seemingly a full minute. Tears were streaming...

Deacon was a perfect fit. Vince, meh, he was good, but didn't fit nearly as well as Deacon.
Old 04-26-2018, 05:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Yeah, I'm sure it was very touching - that's the whole reason he's there. He wasn't even a professional musician when they brought him on board, although after a few months he obviously learned to hone his skills as an amateur guitar player and a naturally gifted singer - kudos to him for that - but he's not as talented as his dad.

They approached him to be in the band in order to pull the heartstrings of fans and to "legitimize" an otherwise illegitimate venture... and it worked like a charm.

Meanwhile, Vince Gill is there to do any heavy lifting.

The new "Eagles" are a farce, IMHO.

Last edited by sodascouts; 04-26-2018 at 06:52 PM..
Old 04-26-2018, 05:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
Yeah, I'm sure it was very touching - that's the whole reason he's there, to provide touching moments. He wasn't even a professional musician when they brought him on board, although after a few months he obviously learned to hone his skills as an amateur guitar player and a naturally gifted singer.

They approached him to be in the band in order to pull the heartstrings of fans and to "legitimize" an otherwise illegitimate venture... and it worked like a charm.

Meanwhile, Vince Gill is there to do any heavy lifting that Deacon can't pull off through the magic of DNA.
You sound bitter about it...

Deacon has a great voice, and sounds a lot like his Dad. As far as guitar playing, Dad didn't really ever play much lead guitar himself, leaving it all to Don(Steuart now) and Joe.

As far as heavy lifting for Vince, he didn't really play any lead guitar, other than on his own ONE solo song he did(Next Big Thing). He pretty much just sang like 6 songs, and harmonized on the rest. If anything, Vince was far underutilized.
Old 04-26-2018, 05:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

It's nice that it worked for you. It works for a lot of people.

In the same way, this new Fleetwood Mac will work for a lot of people.

That's my point.

Old 04-30-2018, 11:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmn3 View Post
And as much as I appreciate what Don Felder did for the Eagles and think the way Henley and Frey treated him was ****ty, he wasn’t to the Eagles what Lindsey was to Fleetwood Mac.
I agree with this. We can't compare both situations.
Old 04-30-2018, 01:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
I'm pissed off about the "Eagles" continuing because after Glenn Frey died, Don Henley swore he wouldn't continue the band, that Glenn was irreplaceable, that he and Glenn started the band together and were its only original members and thus it would be "greedy" and "desperate" to continue the Eagles without him, etc.... and he was right.

Then Irving Azoff came along, waved a bunch of money under Henley's nose to do the Classic shows, Henley realized how much money they could make even without Glenn, and all of the sudden Henley's declaration of "no Eagles without Glenn" didn't mean *****.

It's Don Henley's band now, but enough casual fans are still buying tickets to see the "Eagles" to make it worth their while. They don't care that it's Vince Gill warbling "Take It Easy" instead of Glenn Frey. They just want to sing along to the hits.

I bet the same will be true for Fleetwood Mac.
Just like it's Stevie's band now. Henley and Frey could be notoriously antagonistic to and about each other, and wrestled for control of that band. In many ways (not all, but many) it's like Stevie and Lindsey trying to be in control over FM all these years. Don won out from a death, Stevie won out from skullduggery.
Old 04-30-2018, 02:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think the Eagles are shameless for this. The fact that they're using Glenn's son makes it somewhat better because it shows a respect to Glenn but I still think it's unnecessary and it would have been better to disband. But they want that $$$$$.
And as FM77 pointed out-- Irving Azoff coincidentally is at hand for both.
But regardless, Glenn passed away. He wasn't stabbed in the back by his bandmates. The Henley-Frey feud was a lot like that between Stevie and Lindsey (minus the previous romantic relationship obviously). That whole concept of bickering bandmates is actually not uncommon at all. But I doubt Don Henley would've ever wanted to get Glenn axed from the band. He, and most other people, would set aside their petty differences out of respect for the journey they've been on.

Something THIS band can't understand.
Old 04-30-2018, 04:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
I think the Eagles are shameless for this. The fact that they're using Glenn's son makes it somewhat better because it shows a respect to Glenn but I still think it's unnecessary and it would have been better to disband. But they want that $$$$$.
And as FM77 pointed out-- Irving Azoff coincidentally is at hand for both.
But regardless, Glenn passed away. He wasn't stabbed in the back by his bandmates. The Henley-Frey feud was a lot like that between Stevie and Lindsey (minus the previous romantic relationship obviously). That whole concept of bickering bandmates is actually not uncommon at all. But I doubt Don Henley would've ever wanted to get Glenn axed from the band. He, and most other people, would set aside their petty differences out of respect for the journey they've been on.

Well said .....there's no respect from SN
Old 04-30-2018, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
That whole concept of bickering bandmates is actually not uncommon at all. But I doubt Don Henley would've ever wanted to get Glenn axed from the band. He, and most other people, would set aside their petty differences out of respect for the journey they've been on.

I'm not sure that in the world of big music bands those that manage to overcome their differences are more than those that don't.
When I think about all the bands that I've listened to in my life now I realize that none has stood together except for maybe Green Day? Money does change people perception of the smallest thing I guess. However I still think they'll eventually reunite, if Guns n Roses could then anyone can do it.