Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-09-2009, 05:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default New interview from The Sun

Yep, the Mac are still tabloid fodder Actually they were featured in the weekly music section, which usually is pretty good. It ran over three pages. I didn't even know this was running today a friend just brought it around especially for me. I looked online for it but no luck so have had to type it all out. Just for you guys. It runs over a lot of same old ground but there's a few interesting gems in there.

“We didn’t care about each other… only the music”

Exclusive: Sex, drugs, booze and bust-ups… Stevie Nicks, Mick Fleetwood and Lindsey Buckingham on rock’s biggest soap opera

By Jacqui Swift
IN a luxurious suite at Manhattan's Plaza hotel, Stevie Nicks Fleetwood Mac's iconic singer – is contemplating why her band are still together.

Their story reads like a soap opera a packed with tangled love lives, drug and drink excess and fall-outs.

But it is even more incredible that the band have survived after two of the couples in it - Stevie and Lindsey Buckingham, and John and Christine McVie went through messy break-ups decades ago. Even Mick Fleetwood was going through a divorce at the time.

Yet at the start of this year Fleetwood Mac embarked on their global Unleashed greatest hits tour SFTW were given unrivalled access to the legendary band, and first I flew to LA to join Lindsey at their pre-tour rehearsals.

Mid-tour, I headed to New York to chat to Mick at their Madison Garden soundcheck. Then, the next day, to - an open and very honest Stevie (John hasn't done an interview in years).

Looking 20 years younger than her actual age of 61, with her long, flowing blonde hair she is still beautiful.

She welcomes me into her lounge, showing me the views of the New York skyline before we settle on her cream leather sofa, her beloved Yorkshire terrier Sulamith plonking himself on my knee.

In her famously husky drawl Stevie says: "When Lindsey and I split and Christine and John were about to break up, there were the five of us in the room, each saying, 'Well, I'm not going to quit so you quit'.

"Mick was in the middle saying 'Well, is anybody quitting? If not, can we just carry on?' "And that's exactly what happened. No one was willing to give up Fleetwood Mac - it just wasn't an option.

"Whatever happened between me and Lindsey or the others, the power of the band and the music meant more."

The breakdown of Stevie and Lindsey's five-year relationship and the McVies' divorce during the making of landmark album Rumours became part of the Fleetwood Mac legend.

Mick Fleetwood was also suffering, stuck in the middle of divorce proceedings from his wife Jenny Boyd, before embarking on a two-year affair with Stevie.

The 1977 album went on to sell more than 33 million copies and became the best-selling album of all time until Michael Jackson's Thriller came along. Songs including Lindsey's Second Hand News, Go Your Own Way and Never Geing Back Again, Stevie's Dreams and You Make Loving Fun, written by Christine after she started an affair with the band's lighting director, as well as Don't Stop - a personal message to John lyrically dished the dirt.

Lindsey says: "Those songs brought out the voyeur in our fans. But for us Rumours proves the redemptive power of music. The fact we rose above it all made us seem slightly heroic.

"Fleetwood Mac have always been a band of contradictions. We were being forced to co-exist together during the making of Rumours. There was unity and alienation and sweetness and savagery and hope and despair. All at once in this small period of time."

Mick adds: "We didn't care about anyone or each other but the music we were so involved with got us through it.

"Fleetwood Mac's never been smooth running, even when everyone was in love and falling out of love. It was just the music.

"You hear' famous rock'n'roll stories about bands who don't get on - but we have too much emotional investment. We are all ex-lovers and deep friends."

The band's intake of drugs in the Seventies and Eighties is also part of their story. Lindsey and Stevie moved to LA from San Francisco to join Fleetwood Mac in 1974 - establishing a new line-up and sound after the blues of the Peter Green years (the band founder and guitarist left in 1970 following LSD abuse). In the City Of Angels they were introduced to cocaine, with Stevie in particular developing a taste for it.

She says: "I think if Lindsey and I had stayed in San Francisco there would never have been any drugs. We probably would never even have had a drink."

Lindsey adds: "It just became a non-stop party - and when in Rome, you know, you all join in.

"There was an illusion that you had to be experimental to max your creativity, but by the late Eighties, when we were making Tango In The Night, it caused tension.

"It was hard for me to get anything done. I would try to leave the studio at one or two in the morning and Mick would run out to the parking lot and drag me back in. They were not easy times for me personally."

1987's Tango In The Night was very much a "Lindsey album", with him contributing seven of the 12 tracks and playing all the instruments.

But Stevie was at her lowest ebb. Following an addiction to cocaine which created a hole in the septum of her nose, she was prescribed Klonoplin, a tranquillizer to help her stay off the coke.

She says: "A plastic surgeon looked at my nose and told me it would collapse if I carried on. My vanity made me stop.

"I didn't want to be a dead drug addict - least of all one with a collapsed nose. I called the Betty Ford clinic straight away.

"But then two months after I got out, I went to see this stupid psychiatrist who dished out these little pills called Klonoplin. They were way worse than the drugs.

"At least on coke I could work. For Tango I couldn't do anything. I just lay on the couch, called the deli and drank wine - and that went on for eight years. I lost eight years of my life - my forties - because of that man.

"I went to Daniel Freeman Memorial Hospital in Marina Del Rey, LA, to wean myself off it.

"It was hell. I thought I was going to die, I was in so much pain. I was really sick. To this day I will haunt the psychiatrist who gave me Klonoplin. One day somebody is going to find out who the bastard is and I will be there."

For drummer Mick, the drugs and booze were also causing problems.

He says: "There's no doubt that Stevie and I were the worst offenders of the band by far.

"And while there have been some far-fetched stories like 'He blew £20 million on cocaine', it was still my abuse of choice.

"It makes me ill just thinking about it all today and I'm glad those days are over. I stopped drinking for about 15 years but now just enjoy a glass of wine. But back then it wasn't enjoyable.

"Then one day in Hawaii, where I live, I remember it clearly.

"I was sitting on my own and was still raging. My now wife Lynn said, 'I'm not going to watch you do this to yourself any more. I'm out of here.'

"I begged her to stay, I was scared. Then I looked in the mirror and saw an overweight man with greasy hair and a really long beard. That was my wake-up call and I haven't touched drugs or gone near anything but wine for 15 years."

Today, Fleetwood Mac are in a good place - playing live again.

Mick tells me: "It's so much fun to play and get the old car going again. As a band, we've been blessed that our following has stayed with us.

"Yeah, we always indulge because we're so proud of what we're doing. After 40 years of doing this, people understand us and they really are emotionally attached to the songs."
Mick believes Lindsey's role in Fleetwood Mac has kept them together over the decades. Even though he quit the band just before the world tour for the Tango In The Night album, he rejoined in 1992.

Mick says: "Lindsey left us for a number of years but, thankfully, he came back. He had been so important in keeping the flag flying on Rumours.

"And with our 1979 album Tusk he'd had a real fight on his hands to get the aesthetics of what he wanted to do, which was pushing the envelope. Lindsey put his heart and soul into those projects and they are great albums.

"Then he made his solo albums and so he can rest, look back and know he completed his own cycle. Without Lindsey's input and return we probably wouldn't be here."
Although Lindsey eventually returned to Fleetwood Mac properly in 1997, Christine McVie's retirement in 1998 is a loss still felt to this day.

Stevie says: "Chris was a tough girl but she never really told us just how afraid she was of flying.

"She'd started having panic attacks about it. We did the Grammys and then she turned to me and said, 'I can't do this any more, I'm quitting.' I said, 'You're leaving me? Abandoning me?'

"She goes, 'I'm sorry, honey, I just can't do it.' So she went home, sold her beautiful house in Los Angeles, her piano, her truck, and she was gone in three weeks.

"We never saw her again until we played Earls Court in London in 2004. You just have to respect her wishes."

Mick adds: "Stevie really misses her female partner and we've been very protective of her since Christine left. There was talk of Sheryl Crow taking Chris's place but she'd been through too much.

"She'd had cancer, lost a lover and adopted a child. Being on the road was the last thing for her."

However, Lindsey is less enthusiastic about the idea of Sheryl joining Fleetwood Mac. He says: "There aren't too many people who would be able to fill that bill. With Sheryl I thought it was pretty funny.

"She announced to the Press she was joining Fleetwood Mac but I didn't know any of it."

Whatever the truth to the Sheryl rumour, all agree that Christine cannot be replaced vocally.

Stevie says: "It's been very hard to try Christine's songs in rehearsals. Lindsey and I have tried singing some in harmony but we were just disappointed with it.

"We spent seven weeks battering our heads against a wall trying them, but we just can't. She can't be replaced."

Mick adds: "We' tried Songbird with Stevie and Lindsey but Stevie refused. She said, 'I will not touch that song - it's hers.' But there are some we've managed to get through as band anthems."

All three members I chat to insist that, musically, the band remain as committed as ever. They don't know whether there will be another new album but do not rule it out.

Mick says: "I believe in my heart of hearts there will be more music from the band. This tour has shown we're still the same. I don't feel my age when I'm up on stage.

"None of us do until the next morning - and that's why it's important we have a couple of days off every ten or 12 days."

So would they all agree they are a new Fleetwood Mac in 2009?

Stevie says: "Some things never change. Like Lindsey and I will never agree on anything and can never be pals. You'd have to go to a psychiatrist to figure out what we are now.

"But what I know is that we still have that musical attraction.

"When we work and sing together there's still that look that's overpowering.

"And that musical attraction will never ever go away."

• THE Very Best Of Fleetwood Mac is released on October 19 and the band begin their UK tour at Glasgow's SECC on October 22.

Last edited by trackaghost; 10-09-2009 at 05:32 PM..
Old 10-09-2009, 05:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thank you so much for typing that up for us! Pretty good read...nothing really new but I still enjoyed it

A couple of questions, though:

1) How long were Stevie and Mick actually together? It seems like I've heard it was just a couple of months all the way up to 2 years...does anyone know for sure?

2) Does Lindsey have a particular dislike for Sheryl Crow? It sort of seems that way whenever he talks about the idea of her joining the band.

Quote:
"There aren't too many people who would be able to fill that bill. With Sheryl I thought it was pretty funny."
That sounds more personal than just not thinking she was a good fit for the band. I don't blame him...I wouldn't want her a part of FM either...Christine was irreplaceable. Anyway, I could just be reading more into it than there really is...I was just wondering if you guys think he has something against her.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:33 PM
Senior Ledgie

Thank you for taking the time to type the whole interview. I love how Stevie never fails to mention that she and Lindsey will never agree on anything and can never be pals. I think that along with the statement that they don't know if there will be another new FM album but "do not rule it out", pretty much means that there won't be.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackaghost View Post
"We spent seven weeks battering our heads against a wall trying them, but we just can't. She can't be replaced."

Mick adds: "We' tried Songbird with Stevie and Lindsey but Stevie refused. She said, 'I will not touch that song - it's hers.'
I would have died to hear what that sounded like!

Thanks for your typing fingers! No typos!
Old 10-09-2009, 05:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think as Stevie has got older, she's got rid of her "airy-fairy" way of describing things. Now she just calls people bastards instead.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The breakdown of Stevie and Lindsey's five-year relationship and the McVies' divorce during the making of landmark album Rumours became part of the Fleetwood Mac legend.

I thought that Stevie and Lindsey dated for 8 years
Old 10-09-2009, 05:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackaghost View Post
1987's Tango In The Night was very much a "Lindsey album", with him contributing seven of the 12 tracks and playing all the instruments.
All the instruments??? Keyboards? drums? Bass??
I don't believe that.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Moon View Post
I think as Stevie has got older, she's got rid of her "airy-fairy" way of describing things. Now she just calls people bastards instead.
Was going to make the same comment! She has been getting sassy lately, and I love it.

Thanks for the article, Sharon.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori40 View Post
Thank you for taking the time to type the whole interview. I love how Stevie never fails to mention that she and Lindsey will never agree on anything and can never be pals. I think that along with the statement that they don't know if there will be another new FM album but "do not rule it out", pretty much means that there won't be.
Maybe if there is another album they could it Buckingham vs. Nicks!
Old 10-09-2009, 06:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

That was awesome!

It was nice to hear that they tried really hard on Christine's songs... and it was nice of them to respect Christine's versions and not touch what they know they can't replicate.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldustsongbird View Post
She has been getting sassy lately, and I love it
YES!!! I totally agree
Old 10-09-2009, 07:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thank you Sharon!

I like it that Lindsey said that it would be hard for anyone to replace Christine. But especially not Sheryl Crow!

Goodness. Mick said that Lindsey has completed his "cycle." It's just as I feared. It has rubbed off. Lindsey has brainwashed them all. Let's get them into deprogramming posthaste.

Stevie made me laugh when she said she didn't want to die a drug addict, but especially not a drug addict with a collasped nose.

Ok Stevie, man. You and Lindsey are not friends. Point taken. I'm never going to accuse you two of staying up until the wee hours of the night sharing secrets or cashmere sweaters.

Michele
Old 10-09-2009, 07:40 PM
Senior Ledgie

Of course they wouldn't share cashmere sweaters....

they'd share top hats, and shawls...

Old 10-09-2009, 07:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~GoldDustWoman~ View Post
Of course they wouldn't share cashmere sweaters....

they'd share top hats, and shawls...
Well, I've never seen Lindsey in either. But I have seen both him and Stevie in kimonos. Pretty sure they shared those back in the day.

Oh, Stevie, why don't you want to sit on a couch with Lindsey, watching old movies and wrapping him in velvet.?

Michele
Old 10-09-2009, 08:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thank you Sharon for typing that article. I am a two finger typer so for me that would have taken half an hour. I enjoyed the article. I always get amused when she blames the Dr. for her drug abuse.