User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-08-2009, 09:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Article about Colby and Ken with lots of talk about Fleetwood mac

Thursday, 8 October 2009

Music runs in the family for 23-year-old Californian singer-songwriter Colbie Caillat, who recently scored her first US number one album.

Her father Ken co-produced one of the best-selling releases of the 1970s, Fleetwood Mac's Rumours, and has produced many of the songs on his daughter's latest album Breakthrough.

Colbie and Ken Caillat would "butt heads" while making her new album
When I was four or five, I remember my family having parties. We'd be blasting music - all day long it was all about music and it was always fun.
It was all classic rock - the Steve Miller Band, Tom Petty, Joni Mitchell, Fleetwood Mac.

The first concert I ever went to was Fleetwood Mac at the Hollywood Bowl and we were allowed to go backstage.

My parents have stayed friends with Fleetwood Mac over the years. The first time I ever went out on a boat, we went out on John McVie's yacht in southern California and I threw up off the side.

Dad would take me, my sister and my mom into the studio all the time. We'd be at the console and watch him.
When he had his record label, I'd go into the offices.

Sometimes we'd sit in on meetings. My sister and I helped them name one of their record labels. We were brainstorming with them on what a cool name would be for a label. We ended up with Silverline.

My parents are so proud now - seriously, they wanted to take another tour bus and follow my tour

When Steely Dan's song Hey Nineteen would come on at home, I'd rock out and sing all the words to it. That's when my parents saw the interest. My dad started teaching me what song structure was. That's how it started.

Working with my dad now, we can be honest with each other and I'm not nervous to tell him if I don't like one of his ideas and he's not nervous to tell me if I need to re-do a vocal. Of course there are times when we butt heads and argue but we end up compromising. It's all about the music and not about ego.

My parents are so proud now. Seriously, they wanted to take another tour bus and follow my tour. They knew I've been wanting to be a singer since I was 11 years old when I sang my first talent show with my two best friends in sixth grade.

KEN CAILLAT
I was in college, training to be a lawyer, and decided I liked writing music better. I moved to Los Angeles to get a job in a recording studio and began a career as an engineer in the early 70s.

Colbie's father offered her $100 if she could write a song as a child
Fleetwood Mac was my big break. Recording the songs was great. Winning the Grammy was pretty good. Meeting a lot of girls was good.
Living with them for a year was kind of interesting. I'd never lived with musicians and there were a lot of personalities bumping into each other. They were breaking up with each other.

There were times when Stevie [Nicks] and Lindsey [Buckingham] were screaming at each other on microphone. I was sitting there listening and they were just going at it. Really yelling. I couldn't rewind the tape machine fast enough to get back to the part where I needed to press play and they would go back to singing love songs.

When Colbie was a little girl, she was our little songbird, running around the house singing. She always loved it. We bought her karaoke machines and she would love to ham it up. She had a little girl's voice but she was in pitch all the time.

The record deal wasn't through any connections of mine - I didn't pull any strings

I used to offer her $100 if she'd write a song. She said yeah, yeah, never mind. She wasn't interested.

We got her guitar lessons and she wrote a song on the first day. It was pretty good. I was shocked. She never took the $100 from me - I must owe her a couple of thousand dollars now if the deal's still on.

Working with her in the studio is great. Sometimes she has a tough time - if she wanted to say no to me, she'd say no but I think she'd feel a little guilty about telling her dad no.

When she put her song up on MySpace, so many people instantly fell in love with her music. The record deal wasn't through any connections of mine. I didn't pull any strings.

Colbie and Ken Caillat were speaking to BBC News music reporter Ian Youngs.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8292670.stm