User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-30-2022, 07:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkAThinLine. View Post

With Nicks, she didn't even attend any of the LB/CM sessions.
WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD $HE????

$he's the ONE that kept it from being a FM album.

And $he hates his guts.

"Hey Linds.....do you mind if we hang out today?"
Old 06-30-2022, 10:10 PM
Senior Ledgie

Are there any songs on LB/CM that would have benefited from Stevie's backing vocals? Maybe they could have put her deep in the mix for the choruses of "Lay Down For Free" and "On With the Show", but Buckingham's multi-layered backing vocals were sufficient for the final product.
Old 06-30-2022, 10:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Are there any songs on LB/CM that would have benefited from Stevie's backing vocals? Maybe they could have put her deep in the mix for the choruses of "Lay Down For Free" and "On With the Show", but Buckingham's multi-layered backing vocals were sufficient for the final product.
It SHOULD have been a FM album. $he wouldn't allow it.

I much prefer it just as it is. It's perfekt!
Old 07-01-2022, 12:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD $HE????

$he's the ONE that kept it from being a FM album.

And $he hates his guts.

"Hey Linds.....do you mind if we hang out today?"
except for all those times she got stuck on songs and sent him tapes and asked him for ideas... even solo songs. And solo stuff that she wrote before she went solo (Think About It, Kind of Woman, etc) had Lindsey's fingerprints on their arrangements.

So yeah, she hates him on a personal level but boy she loves his talent and doesn't mind taking advantage of it without having to pay for it.
Old 07-01-2022, 01:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
except for all those times she got stuck on songs and sent him tapes and asked him for ideas... even solo songs. And solo stuff that she wrote before she went solo (Think About It, Kind of Woman, etc) had Lindsey's fingerprints on their arrangements.

So yeah, she hates him on a personal level but boy she loves his talent and doesn't mind taking advantage of it without having to pay for it.
Which perfectly leads us to EXACTLY what $he is. I know it. You know it. Karma knows it.
Old 07-01-2022, 08:35 AM

Quote:
The 2013 deluxe edition of Then Play On

With Nicks, she didn't even attend any of the LB/CM sessions.
Haha, I wonder why? She was doing everything in her power to stop FM from recording.

Last edited by jbrownsjr; 07-01-2022 at 09:49 AM..
Old 07-01-2022, 12:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think her value would have been what it always was historically — provide a little variety to the retro pop with her vague, open-ended songs interspersed with theirs. I wish she had gone into the project enthusiastically, but I guess she didn’t want to open a can of whoop-ass with Buckingham, even though Christine was there, too. She may have had unpleasant flashbacks to the old days, when Chris and Lindsey and even Mick shoved her aside in the studio for saying such ditzy things.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 07-01-2022, 11:03 PM
Senior Ledgie

The Say You Will sessions were tumultuous between Buckingham and Nicks, and we only saw segments of these petty arguments on the Destiny Rules documentary. It's very possible that there were worse incidents that were not even shown.

From my knowledge, there is little information on any drama that occurred during Extended Play sessions (if there even was any drama). The basic tracks of "Sad Angel" and "Miss Fantasy" were already recorded by the trio of Buckingham, J. McVie, and Fleetwood before Stevie joined them in the studio (I believe she handpicked those two songs out of the seven presented to her). All that was left was for her to record some backing vocals on those two tracks and duet with Buckingham on "Without You", so I am not sure how much time Stevie actually spent in the studio (was it more than the two weeks she infamously dedicated for Tango?)

The LB/CM sessions would have required Nicks to submit at least a few songs, requiring more time in the studio with Buckingham, something she had no desire to do. Obviously this stunted the attention that a Fleetwood Mac studio album would have garnered, but it still allowed for Buckingham and C. McVie to collaborate in the studio for the first time since Tango.
Old 07-01-2022, 11:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think a big reason for her to resist a new FM album was her lack of material. Recall at the beginning of the DR doc everyone, including her, talks about how she basically realized she couldn't just show up with all old material when LB was going to have lots of new stuff. She asked for that extra month before starting where she went off and wrote (as she mentioned MULTIPLE times) "FOUR new songs!". It just feels like she wasn't going to be able to muster up that much creativity or discipline to bring anything to a new FM album, especially one where whatever she brought would be up against not only Lindsey's new material but all of Chris's as well. I think she just couldn't keep up and didn't want to have it be super obvious.
Old 07-02-2022, 12:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think a big reason for her to resist a new FM album was her lack of material. Recall at the beginning of the DR doc everyone, including her, talks about how she basically realized she couldn't just show up with all old material when LB was going to have lots of new stuff. She asked for that extra month before starting where she went off and wrote (as she mentioned MULTIPLE times) "FOUR new songs!". It just feels like she wasn't going to be able to muster up that much creativity or discipline to bring anything to a new FM album, especially one where whatever she brought would be up against not only Lindsey's new material but all of Chris's as well. I think she just couldn't keep up and didn't want to have it be super obvious.
I think the world agrees. Her well has dried up. Makes you wonder if she just doesn't try any more, or what she comes up with just isn't that good, and she knows it?
Old 07-02-2022, 08:59 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
She asked for that extra month before starting where she went off and wrote (as she mentioned MULTIPLE times) "FOUR new songs!". It just feels like she wasn't going to be able to muster up that much creativity or discipline to bring anything to a new FM album, especially one where whatever she brought would be up against not only Lindsey's new material but all of Chris's as well. :
I know that "Thrown Down", "Running Through the Garden", "Smile at You", and "Goodbye Baby" were dug from the archives, but what was the fifth old song?

Quote:
Recall at the beginning of the DR doc everyone, including her, talks about how she basically realized she couldn't just show up with all old material when LB was going to have lots of new stuff.:
If I'm not mistaken, all of Buckingham's Say You Will songs with the exception of "What's the World Coming To?" were first written no later than 2000. Some of Buckingham's songs on the Gift of Screws bootleg were nearly identical to what appeared on the final Say You Will

Last edited by WalkAThinLine.; 07-02-2022 at 09:03 AM..
Old 07-06-2022, 03:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think the only thing that could make possible a "complete" FM album, is the inclusion of SN songs from the Say You Will days, not later from her solo catalogue. She probably would prefer to keep her latest songs as her own ones, instead of new FM songs.
Personally, LBCM is a FM album even when SN wasn't there. Nicks put less songs than Christine or Lindsey since Tusk, so her work for the Lindsey/Chris album wouldn't be "so" necessary, in terms of that a FM album could be possible without her. She had a good one on Say You Will, but this time Lindsey and Christine had the chance to make it in the name of Fleetwood Mac. But some things happened...
Old 07-06-2022, 04:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I know that "Thrown Down", "Running Through the Garden", "Smile at You", and "Goodbye Baby" were dug from the archives, but what was the fifth old song?
"Everybody Finds Out"?

Last edited by cbBen; 07-06-2022 at 04:10 PM..
Old 07-06-2022, 05:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

If I'm not mistaken, all of Buckingham's Say You Will songs with the exception of "What's the World Coming To?" were first written no later than 2000. Some of Buckingham's songs on the Gift of Screws bootleg were nearly identical to what appeared on the final Say You Will
Doesn't really matter. She apparently felt like whatever she would have brought would have been old (older than that it would seem) and probably stuff they'd all already heard. Mick even talks about it, how she asked for time to try and craft some new stuff and that she really felt she had to step it up.

I thought Thrown Down was one of the newer ones? Along with Illume, SYW, and I *think* Silver Girl? I forget.
Old 07-06-2022, 05:41 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:

I thought Thrown Down was one of the newer ones? Along with Illume, SYW, and I *think* Silver Girl? I forget.
Thrown Down was an outtake from Trouble In Shangri-La, although it was written during The Dance tour.

From: https://books.google.com/books?id=i0...0dance&f=false

A 2001 demo also exists on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gnoo_K3-0zs