User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-09-2006, 06:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretonbanquet
Yes I remember that, but I wasn't able to hear them because I had a rubbish computer at the time The 5th January '71 BBC session was

Start Again
Teenage Darling
Preachin' (which ended up on the Live at the BBC set)
Get Like You Used To Be
Dragonfly

The Madison Blues songs I think did come from BBC sessions. I have a list of BBC sessions - none of which I own btw - they are:

July 7 1970 - Buddy's Song / When Will I Be Loved / Jenny Lee / When I See My Baby / Honey Hush - all of which were on "Live at the BBC" - pretty sure Chris wasn't there.

November 10 1970 - Sandy Mary / Crazy About You Baby / Down At The Crown / Turn Me Loose / Tell Me All the Things You Do - God knows who sang Sandy Mary, and I'm not familiar with Turn Me Loose - is it one of Christine's?

November 24 1970 - Down At The Crown / Purple Dancer / Station Man - these might well be on "Madison Blues"

Then there's the January 5 session, and the next one I have on my list is July 1, where they do three songs off Future Games - Woman of 1000 Years, Show Me A Smile and Future Games.
Thanks for the info. You mentioned that you have a list of these BBC recordings. Are they all in circulation? Do you know of anyone who has them? I'd especially love to have those July 1, 1971 tracks. I assume that Bob Welch was in the band by then.

By them way, I think you're right about those 11/24/70 tracks being on the Madison Blues box set. I think I have some of 11/10/70 tracks(at least that's what they're labeled). They are on the end one of my bootleg live shows as filler...Crazy 'Bout You, Down At The Crown & Tell Me All The Things You Do.
Old 02-09-2006, 07:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57
Thanks for the info. You mentioned that you have a list of these BBC recordings. Are they all in circulation? Do you know of anyone who has them? I'd especially love to have those July 1, 1971 tracks. I assume that Bob Welch was in the band by then.

By them way, I think you're right about those 11/24/70 tracks being on the Madison Blues box set. I think I have some of 11/10/70 tracks(at least that's what they're labeled). They are on the end one of my bootleg live shows as filler...Crazy 'Bout You, Down At The Crown & Tell Me All The Things You Do.

The only one I know of that's in circulation is the one you've got, i.e. the Nov. 10th songs that you mentioned there. I seem to recall 'Down at the Crown' is shown as "Doing Alright" on that boot. The other two songs from that session, the doubtful 'Sandy Mary' and the mystery 'Turn Me Loose' seem to be missing. I've never heard the Nov. 10th songs, but I'm assuming that 'Crazy About You Baby' and 'Tell Me' are the same recordings as those on "Madison Blues" - if not then I have no idea which session those two MB songs might be from.

If we take it that the Nov. 24th songs are on "Madison Blues", and you have the other Jan. 5th tracks, then that only leaves 'Teenage Darling' from Jan. 5th 1971 that is unaccounted for from the "Kiln House" band (unless you have that too?) Of course, there might have been other BBC sessions that I don't know about

The July 1st session does feature Bob Welch, but I've never heard it. I only know that it was broadcast on the Alan Black BBC show 'Sound of the 70s' on July 23rd. I've ceratinly never seen it around, but then I'm much less likely to have come across it than some of the other guys on here, because I've only been looking for it for a relatively short time.

Edit: 'Turn Me Loose' was a Fabian song, so it must have been performed by Jeremy.

Last edited by bretonbanquet; 02-09-2006 at 08:16 PM..
Old 02-10-2006, 06:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretonbanquet
The only one I know of that's in circulation is the one you've got, i.e. the Nov. 10th songs that you mentioned there. I seem to recall 'Down at the Crown' is shown as "Doing Alright" on that boot. The other two songs from that session, the doubtful 'Sandy Mary' and the mystery 'Turn Me Loose' seem to be missing. I've never heard the Nov. 10th songs, but I'm assuming that 'Crazy About You Baby' and 'Tell Me' are the same recordings as those on "Madison Blues" - if not then I have no idea which session those two MB songs might be from.

If we take it that the Nov. 24th songs are on "Madison Blues", and you have the other Jan. 5th tracks, then that only leaves 'Teenage Darling' from Jan. 5th 1971 that is unaccounted for from the "Kiln House" band (unless you have that too?) Of course, there might have been other BBC sessions that I don't know about

The July 1st session does feature Bob Welch, but I've never heard it. I only know that it was broadcast on the Alan Black BBC show 'Sound of the 70s' on July 23rd. I've ceratinly never seen it around, but then I'm much less likely to have come across it than some of the other guys on here, because I've only been looking for it for a relatively short time.

Edit: 'Turn Me Loose' was a Fabian song, so it must have been performed by Jeremy.
I had always assumed that those 3 BBC songs that I have are the same as the songs on the Madison Blues box set. I'm not so sure now. This weekend I'm going to play them both & compare. I didn't know that there were 2 separate BBC sessions in Nov. 1970. "Sandy Mary" & "Turn Me Loose" are not on my bootleg, by the way. I assumed that "Turn Me Loose" was a Jeremy Spencer song. It certainly doesn't sound like something Christine would do.

I'd really love to get my hands on that July 1971 stuff. It sounds like there might be video footage of that. I remember Stevie mentioning that she had seen Christine singing "Show Me A Smile" on TV in the early 1970's way before she joined the band. I'll bet she was referring to this BBC footage. It must have been shown at some time here in the U.S. I had no idea they ever recorded anything on the BBC after Bob Welch joined.

Thanks so much for all of new this info.