Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-13-2017, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I'm shocked that *you know who* has never made that claim!
She's actually taken credit for Don't Stop when they ask her in some interviews.

I just roll my eyes.
Old 12-13-2017, 04:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Blow By Blow?
Ya get me

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 12-13-2017, 04:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Ok listen up now. Everyone was wrong and everyone was right. Here is the scoop:

According to McVie, "Oh Daddy" was written for the band's drummer, Mick Fleetwood. At the time, Fleetwood was the only father of the band, with two daughters.Fleetwood has listed the song as one of his favorite Fleetwood Mac songs of all time.However, both Lindsey Buckingham's former girlfriend Carol Ann Harris and Stevie Nicks' biographer Zoe Howe have written that the song was originally written for the band's lighting director, who McVie had been dating at the time. Both Harris and Howe say McVie only later claimed that the song was written for Fleetwood.
For a while, the song was known as 'Addy' due to a technical mishap. Ken Caillat, the band's producer, had made the mistake while playing back a take. "We were going to do some overdubs, and while rewinding the tape, a portable tape oscillator fell on the machine, sending it into free-wheel – the reels were spinning out of control. I jumped on the machine to stop it - and snapped the tape! Oh, man... [laughs] We listened back and there it was: ‘Oh ‘addy.’ The ‘D’ part of Christine’s vocal was cut off. My heart sunk."
Near the end of the song, McVie plays some random notes on the keyboard.These were not originally intended to be part of the song, and McVie only played them to get the attention of the control room.But the band liked them so they did not remove them from the finished song.
The song was played consistently throughout the band's Rumours and Tusk world tours, and resurfaced for the 1997 The Dance tour before disappearing once again. Producer Ken Caillat described "Oh Daddy" as "a beautiful, airy song." He noted that getting the proper tempo was particularly tricky, since it tended to sound rushed at a quicker tempo but lethargic at a slower pace.Fleetwood Mac biographer Cath Carroll praises McVie's vocal and describes the song as "a sexy, old English version of The Rolling Stones' 'Fool to Cry'."
Old 12-13-2017, 05:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I still don't believe it, BECAUSE it wasn't said for 20 freaking years, AFTER Mick claimed it.

You can keep selling it, but I ain't buying.
Old 12-13-2017, 05:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Ya get me
I instantly knew where you were going...

Perv minds think alike?

Last edited by HomerMcvie; 12-14-2017 at 03:07 AM..
Old 12-13-2017, 05:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I still don't believe it, BECAUSE it wasn't said for 20 freaking years, AFTER Mick claimed it.

You can keep selling it, but I ain't buying.
Exactly. Oh Daddy is a gorgeous, mournful lover's lament. It's as iconic as Rhiannon, albeit in a completely different way. But it ain't about Mick, no matter how badly Mick wants it to be, and no matter how much Christine is willing to let him believe it.
Old 12-13-2017, 05:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Another fun fact most of us already know: the line "And I can't walk away from you baby if I tried" was supplied by Stevie Nicks. The original is "And it's helping me through the night." The original is not as evocative, but it's grammatical.
Old 12-13-2017, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Another fun fact most of us already know: the line "And I can't walk away from you baby if I tried" was supplied by Stevie Nicks. The original is "And it's helping me through the night." The original is not as evocative, but it's grammatical.
"uhhhh you saved me Shhhhtevie..."
Old 12-14-2017, 01:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
She's actually taken credit for Don't Stop when they ask her in some interviews.

I just roll my eyes.
Not really... I mean, she hasn’t corrected them to say that it’s a Christine track but she certainly hasn’t claimed it to be one of her own. It was on the Runoura album so it seems germain to the point being made by the interviewer to accept that her role in the song.

Of course, if you’re predisposed to rolling your eyes, then I suppose this would constitute a reason.
Old 12-14-2017, 01:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Interesting, didn’t know that. Thanks.
Old 12-14-2017, 05:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

I wish Curry Grant would write a book but I don't think he would do it to upset the band. To think 2 of Christine's most iconic songs on one of the biggest selling albums of all time written about you. Damn you are some lover. Then he was fired. Then he was hired back and was sleeping with Stevie and even worked on her solo concerts. This guy has such stories to tell.
Old 12-14-2017, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Not really... I mean, she hasn’t corrected them to say that it’s a Christine track but she certainly hasn’t claimed it to be one of her own. It was on the Runoura album so it seems germain to the point being made by the interviewer to accept that her role in the song.

Of course, if you’re predisposed to rolling your eyes, then I suppose this would constitute a reason.
I've heard interviews where she doesn't give Christine credit and starts talking about the song like she wrote it.
Old 12-14-2017, 12:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Not really... I mean, she hasn’t corrected them to say that it’s a Christine track but she certainly hasn’t claimed it to be one of her own.
Quote:
I've heard interviews where she doesn't give Christine credit and starts talking about the song like she wrote it.
I heard an interview with Stevie about a year ago where she told the interviewer, "when I walk down a street and I hear Christine's music playing, I tell people that's me."

Personally I think this is hilarious and would love to tell Stevie someday that I got a real kick out of it.
Old 12-14-2017, 01:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yes. I can remember at least three interviews from the last 25 years where she's done this.
Old 12-14-2017, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Yes. I can remember at least three interviews from the last 25 years where she's done this.
I remember because I become very annoyed. She almost acts like Bill called her.