The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: Do you like Stevie’s new single, Show Them the Way?
Yes 36 54.55%
No 20 30.30%
Not sure 2 3.03%
I like the music but not the lyrics. 8 12.12%
I like the lyrics but not the music. 0 0%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-10-2020, 09:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
She doesn’t really think that. She just lied to get people to listen to it.
LOL, what else is new.
Old 10-10-2020, 12:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricohv View Post
I just listened again and caught these lyrics:
"It was all symbolic,
Nothing was as it seemed"
CLUNK!
Clearly we don't need her to tell us that! Why oh why oh why won't she allow the nonsense to be trimmed away to leave the bare bones of a song that might not end up being cringey?? I don't hate it, but like so much of her work, needs some serious editing.
I also chuckled at the line where she felt the need to clarify John Kennedy wasn't literally her friend; she didn't actually know him then. LOL.

Last edited by sodascouts; 10-10-2020 at 12:55 PM..
Old 10-10-2020, 12:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I deliberately listened to the song without watching the video first; I didn't want my opinion to be influenced by the images. I'm very glad I did, because it seems almost everyone who really liked it was moved by the images on the video more than the song.

The song is not awful by any means, but it rambles on and on, and goes on way too long - it's like a demo, which is hardly surprising considering it is produced by Dave Stewart, the man whose goal is not to give Stevie constructive criticism to make her songs better. His goal is to keep the smile on her face. And to be fair, that's why she hired him.

The narrative about doing benefits in the Hamptons and all that jazz really is a bad way to start the song as it's very hard to relate to. The lyrics do get better in the sense that I do feel like there's a good message buried there regarding peace and love... but it's communicated poorly, IMHO.

I started to get bored about three minutes in. However, I did like how it started to change up around 4:50 and my interest was renewed. (Note: I purchased the song on Amazon and there's also a piano version without this change up or anything to maintain interesting sonicly; it is pretty dreary.)

I appreciate Stevie trying to say something important, and for those who feel she is taking sides, I actually think she actually was a lot less partisan than she could have been. MLK and JFK are pretty safe figures. Yeah, BLM was all over the video, but everybody and their dog hopped on that bandwagon last summer. Celebrities were practically required by law to post that ubiquitous card on social media. I would have been surprised if Stevie hadn't included them in a video talking about race; if she hadn't, I'm sure there would have been criticism from angry Twitterites. Featuring an "I Can't Breath" sign in one pic though... It's BREATHE! BREATHE with an "E"!!! At any rate, we all should vote, no matter what side we're on. In other words, I didn't feel it was OTT.

But this is definitely a song I will not be listening to regularly. I will listen to it a few more times before relegating it down to the always-skip pit of "The Nightmare" and "Cheaper Than Free," though. It might grow on me.

PS For those comparing it to "Mabel Normand" - IMO, "Mabel Normand" is FAR superior!

Last edited by sodascouts; 10-10-2020 at 12:53 PM..
Old 10-10-2020, 12:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
I also chuckled at the line where she felt the need to clarify John Kennedy wasn't literally her friend, she didn't actually know him then. LOL.
Yes, I was also lol but isn’t that we love about Stevie Nicks?
Old 10-10-2020, 01:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I deliberately listened to the song without watching the video first; I didn't want my opinion to be influenced by the images. I'm very glad I did, because it seems almost everyone who really liked it was moved by the images on the video more than the song.

The song is not awful by any means, but it rambles on and on, and goes on way too long - it's like a demo, which is hardly surprising considering it is produced by Dave Stewart, the man whose goal is not to give Stevie constructive criticism to make her songs better. His goal is to keep the smile on her face. And to be fair, that's why she hired him.

The narrative about doing benefits in the Hamptons and all that jazz really is a bad way to start the song as it's very hard to relate to. The lyrics do get better in the sense that I do feel like there's a good message buried there regarding peace and love... but it's communicated poorly, IMHO.

I started to get bored about three minutes in. However, I did like how it started to change up around 4:50 and my interest was renewed. (Note: I purchased the song on Amazon and there's also a piano version without this change up or anything to maintain interesting sonicly; it is pretty dreary.)

I appreciate Stevie trying to say something important, and for those who feel she is taking sides, I actually think she actually was a lot less partisan than she could have been. MLK and JFK are pretty safe figures. Yeah, BLM was all over the video, but everybody and their dog hopped on that bandwagon last summer. Celebrities were practically required by law to post that ubiquitous card on social media. I would have been surprised if Stevie hadn't included them in a video talking about race; if she hadn't, I'm sure there would have been criticism from angry Twitterites. Featuring an "I Can't Breath" sign in one pic though... It's BREATHE! BREATHE with an "E"!!! At any rate, we all should vote, no matter what side we're on. In other words, I didn't feel it was OTT.

But this is definitely a song I will not be listening to regularly. I will listen to it a few more times before relegating it down to the always-skip pit of "The Nightmare" and "Cheaper Than Free," though. It might grow on me.

PS For those comparing it to "Mabel Normand" - IMO, "Mabel Normand" is FAR superior!
The song is already dropping down the iTunes Charts. It lasted a whole day. Dreams is still #1 though. The song without the video is about 50% less powerful. They need to shave 2 minutes off this song. The best parts happen near the end.
Old 10-10-2020, 06:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

If she sang this song live, it would give everyone ample time to hit the bathroom and the bar.
Old 10-10-2020, 07:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It really bothers me that no Republicans are in this video. If she really wanted peace she would include everyone including Trump. Also, why aren’t Monica Lewinsky and Mary Joe Kopechnebin this video?
Old 10-10-2020, 07:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
It really bothers me that no Republicans are in this video.
George W. Bush was in it.

Old 10-10-2020, 08:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
George W. Bush was in it.
George Pataki was in it too.
Old 10-10-2020, 09:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It is #8 as of this writing, so still doing well. Even if it disappears from the charts forever tomorrow, it's still a nice success that it made the charts at all whether her detractors want to acknowledge it or not.
Old 10-10-2020, 09:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Triggered much? Truth hurts...

via GIPHY

Last edited by greendaze5; 10-10-2020 at 09:11 PM..
Old 10-10-2020, 09:33 PM
Ledgie

I feel some Stevie gathered some inspiration or motivation form Dylan's recent song Murder Most Foul" here. The name dropping, length, and history references. Anybody else agree ?
Old 10-10-2020, 09:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by caterwench View Post
I feel some Stevie gathered some inspiration or motivation form Dylan's recent song Murder Most Foul" here. The name dropping, length, and history references. Anybody else agree ?
I agree. He was getting a lot of attention for that song and I thought it was terrible. It was wayyy too long. I could barely get through it. He did mention Stevie and Lindsey in the song.
Old 10-10-2020, 09:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Except most of it was written long before Dylan's song.. occasionally she can pull off that stream of thought type song ..Mabel Normand was very good but this one ...not so much.

Old 10-10-2020, 09:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
That kind of "song" has often worked for Dylan but really only once for Stevie and that was Mabel Normand..this new one just not hold together well and too bad as it was for a good cause.