Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-10-2005, 03:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Anybody speak Dutch?

I recently won an auction on eBay of various Christine articles/press clippings. According to the seller, one of the articles is from a Belgian magazine & is in Dutch. Would anyone be able to translate this article into English for me?
Old 06-10-2005, 04:09 PM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57
I recently won an auction on eBay of various Christine articles/press clippings. According to the seller, one of the articles is from a Belgian magazine & is in Dutch. Would anyone be able to translate this article into English for me?

If you can't find anyone to do it, go to www.dictionary.com; choose the translator option, then choose the 'dutch to english'. it might be tedious, but if you type in a paragraph at a time, it will do a rough translation for you!

-Lis
Old 06-10-2005, 05:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePenguin
If you can't find anyone to do it, go to www.dictionary.com; choose the translator option, then choose the 'dutch to english'. it might be tedious, but if you type in a paragraph at a time, it will do a rough translation for you!

-Lis
There's a translator on Google as well, though it'll yield a very rough translation, unfortunately. Still, thought I'd put it out there.
Old 06-10-2005, 06:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

If you put it through a translator I volunteer to finish it in "correct" english....

gerald

Old 06-10-2005, 06:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I tried Dictionary.com. Here's the title of the article:

Christine McVie, which the pennies Fleetwood keep together Mac kletskoek is!

I think this is a very rough translation...lol. I'll work on this over the weekend & post it here.

Thanks, Gerald. I think this is going to need to be translated into "correct" English.
Old 06-10-2005, 07:09 PM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
I tried Dictionary.com. Here's the title of the article:

I think this is a very rough translation...lol. I'll work on this over the weekend & post it here.

Thanks, Gerald. I think this is going to need to be translated into "correct" English.
yeah that translation is a bit rough.

Isn't Mari Dutch? (although I don't know if she ever visits the chris forum....) I wonder if she'd be willing to translate if it were scanned and sent to her.....? Mari are you out there????

-Lis
Old 06-10-2005, 08:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Old 06-11-2005, 05:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes Mari is indeed Dutch .Maybe if you rescind one of her strikes she'll do a good translation of the article!

Old 06-11-2005, 07:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3
Yes Mari is indeed Dutch .Maybe if you rescind one of her strikes she'll do a good translation of the article!

What magazine is this article from? Humo? Because I think I have this article myself then. Sure, I volunteer. Hope it's not too long...
Old 06-11-2005, 10:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari

What magazine is this article from? Humo? Because I think I have this article myself then. Sure, I volunteer. Hope it's not too long...
Mari,

According to the eBay seller, this magazine is Joepie Magazine. I don't have the actual magazine, just the article. So I can't tell for sure since the name of the magazine is not on the clipping that I have. There is a Christine interview in Joepie Magazine from 1984. But, I believe this may be a different article. There is a Rumours era picture of Christine with the article & "Rumours" is mentioned in the article several times. I believe it is probably from sometime in 1977. The article is not too long, just one page including the picture. If you don't have this particular article, I could scan it for you and e-mail it to you. Just send me a private message & we can get started. Thanks for helping out!
Old 06-11-2005, 12:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I checked my old clippings etc, but I don't think I have this yet! Send the scan to nfiles@gmail.com, I'll do my best then
Old 06-11-2005, 04:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari
I checked my old clippings etc, but I don't think I have this yet! Send the scan to nfiles@gmail.com, I'll do my best then
I just e-mailed the article to you. I hope you can read the print. I think you'll have to enlarge it. Let me know if you have a problem. Thanks again.
Old 06-11-2005, 04:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Mari,

I sent you the article again. This time it's larger. It should be much easier for you to read.
Old 06-18-2005, 10:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It's done!
please don't look too closely at the grammar or expressions etc

Christine McVie
It’s nonsense to say that money keeps Fleetwood Mac together!

Christine McVie, pianist with the band Fleetwood Mac, is as happy as she is tired. The past USA-tour was exhaustingly long but the group made enough money to get back on it’s feet.
And meanwhile the lp Rumours shined at the top of American and international hitparades undisturbed. So Fleetwood Mac has no reason to complain.

“And of course we don’t complain” smiles Christine. “With Rumours’ sales we got into a financial top ten. We can all buy a house with a pool and all kinds of technical novelties. I can’t say how much each of us earned of this. Mr Taxman would have a real laugh at that. Our lp came on the market on an excellent moment. Everyone was waiting for a new Elton John record or a new John Lennon and there weren’t that many new fresh popsounds out there. Our commercial popsound, Stevie’s special voice and the very direct personal songs, which were really an illustration of our daily lives and feelings – obviously shared by the masses- propelled Rumours to the top. The difficulty is now to make a new lp with songs that can match those of Rumours or surpass them.”

Not jealous at Stevie and not angry with John
Before the start of the Australian and Japanese tour, Fleetwood Mac takes a rest. “Get a tan, that’s what I’ll do” says Christine determinedly. “Lie at the pool under the Californian sun, and have a drink. I’m also looking for a new and larger house with room for my piano, so I can finally work on all those themes that have been roaming about my head and turn them into nice song! Stevie, who’s had vocal problems, wants to take a good rest. John can finally take care of his sore arm. The last tour was hell for him. It was kept straight with shots of painkillers. Even though John and I are divorced now, we’re very good friends. Rumours that we can’t stand each other are just rubbish. And to say that Fleetwood Mac is only staying together because of the cash is complete nonsense. We’re all on very good terms. I was supposed to be jealous of Stevie because she’s on the front of the stage and her sweet little face melts the hearts of the guys in the audience. I’m happy for her and her succes delights me. Sex appeal is an important trump card of Fleetwood Mac. Lindsey’s the girls darling and Stevie the boys’. The rest of the group knows that, but it doesn’t keep us from going onstage well dressed. If I’d meet our fans with unkempt hair, I’d just die.”

Taking a walk in Hollywood is highly dangerous
Does the band miss England? “When the group decided to live in America I was the only one who wasn’t too happy about it. But with the sun and a pool you can hardly say you miss England. Los Angeles is my home. I don’t think the people here are fake and greedy. Just like any other town, you have to get to know L.A. . Hollywood has everything to offer: trash and culture. Just like everywhere else you can find slackers and kind people. I am dissapointed that no one walks here. Everything has to be done by car because the streetviolence is just unbelievable. If you’re more well known than another ordinary soul then the risk is even greater you’ll become a victim of a crime. It’s incredible how much is stolen here. You’re never really sure if you’ll find your car back in the parking lot after your dinner in a restaurant! In that view I miss the friendly and safe England.”
Attached Images
File Type: jpg joepie.jpg (24.7 KB, 20 views)
Old 06-18-2005, 11:24 AM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

Mari, thank you so much for translating that; it was great to read!!!

-Lis