The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-16-2010, 11:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Help! Has a water pipe ever burst under your lawn?

SOOOO much water gushed into the front yard and down the sewer last night. It was bubbling up from a spot in the yard between the water meter and the house. It has been shut off now, so there is no more water leaking. I assume this pipe is my responsibility and not the city's, right? Has something like this happened to you? Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermicious knid View Post
SOOOO much water gushed into the front yard and down the sewer last night. It was bubbling up from a spot in the yard between the water meter and the house. It has been shut off now, so there is no more water leaking. I assume this pipe is my responsibility and not the city's, right? Has something like this happened to you? Any advice would be appreciated.
this happened to a relative. the pipe burst under her lawn and she underwent a lot of back and forth with the city due to their stating their responsbility for the pipe ended when it hit her lawn edge of the public sidewalk. she fought that as the main reason the pipe broke was due to the city's tree planted on the city side of the sidewalk had rooted underneath her lawn causing the pipe to burst. she negotiated a settlement resulting in the city paying for 3/4 of the repair ($5000)
Old 12-16-2010, 01:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

A pipe busted underneath my house the other day Third time this year
Old 12-16-2010, 03:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

yep, had tree roots grow around the pipe and it burst. i don't remember exactly how much it was but the city didn't help at all, even though my ex worked(s) for the city
Old 12-16-2010, 04:03 PM
Registered

I don't know if this applies or not, but having sump pumps installed is very helpful in preventing basement flooding, during heavy rain or when a foot of snow is melting. For a burst pipe, it might help remove the tons of water left in the lawn. I hope your lawn and home are ok.
Regarding the responsibility, it may be the city who is responsible, if you have city water, and not your own well. I don't know, really, but hopefully someone at City Hall could give you some answers, the proper department likely is very familiar with such issues.
PS- If you do have an excessive amount of water either on the property, or in the basement, you likely can call your local fire department, and they are able to drain it. Afterwards, they will mail you either a bill or a letter to ask for a donation- I think it was $100 4 years ago my parents sent to the fire department, before the pumps were installed, when the fire department removed water from my parents flooded basement.

Last edited by Nikolaj; 12-16-2010 at 05:03 PM..
Old 12-17-2010, 09:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks. The pipe is being replaced today.

I encourage everyone to know what to do if you need to turn off the water supply because I didn't. It was dark out and the meter pit was filled with water. If yours looks like mine does, and it lacks a valve can be turned by hand, you should have the right tool and know where to put it. (The thing at the bottom).