User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-07-2010, 05:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Unhappy Elizabeth Edwards dies of cancer at 61

Friends describe 'peaceful' scene, with Edwards surrounded by loved ones

Elizabeth Edwards has died of cancer, NBC News has confirmed. She was 61.

Gravely ill with cancer that no longer responded to treatment, Elizabeth Edwards was reportedly not in any pain and was surrounded at home in North Carolina by family and friends, including her estranged husband John Edwards, a former Democratic presidential candidate.

Her death came at 10:15 Tuesday morning, according to a family friend. The scene was described as "very peaceful."

The friend said, "Elizabeth did not want people to say she lost her battle with cancer. The battle was about living a good life and that she won."

Family friends provided to NBC News this statement from the Edwards Family.

"Elizabeth Anania Edwards, mother, author, advocate died today at her home in Chapel Hill, surrounded by her family.

"Today we have lost the comfort of Elizabeth's presence but she remains the heart of this family.

"We love her and will never know anyone more inspiring or full of life.

"On behalf of Elizabeth we want to express our gratitude to the thousands of kindred spirits who moved and inspired her along the way. Your support and prayers touched our entire family.

"In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the Wade Edwards Foundation which benefits the Wade Edwards Learning Lab."

When news began to circulate that she had taken a turn for the worse, Edwards’ family announced Monday that her doctors had recommended against any additional treatment.

"She found out last week and is at peace with where she is right now.” People magazine’s Sandra Westfall told TODAY co-anchor Matt Lauer Tuesday before Elizabeth passed away. “She has a home full of relatives, which is how she always wanted it. They are telling stories, looking at old photos, and having as many laughs as tears.”

John Edwards, from whom Elizabeth Edwards separated last year after he acknowledged fathering a child with a former aide to his unsuccessful vice presidential campaign, was with his wife and their three children: Cate, 28; Emma, 12; and Jack, 10.

During an appearance on TODAY last year, Elizabeth Edwards said that while it was difficult not to be able to “lean” on the man she once called “my rock,” she thought it was important to not shut him out.

“For the children she’s put on a brave face, and kept that relationship intact. He’s at the house this week, helping with the children, getting takeout for the family that is visiting,” Westfall said.

Agreeing with Lauer that it must be a difficult time for the children, Westfall said Elizabeth Edwards has been preparing them for her death for some time.

“She, years ago, starting writing a ‘dying letter,’ she called it, so she would have the advice to pass on and always be there with a mother's wisdom when she couldn’t be there physically,” Westfall said.

Long battle
Elizabeth Edwards was first diagnosed with cancer in 2004, and learned that the cancer had returned in 2007, as her husband John was preparing for his presidential bid.

On her Facebook page, Edwards had earlier posted the following message:

“You all know that I have been sustained throughout my life by three saving graces — my family, my friends, and a faith in the power of resilience and hope. These graces have carried me through difficult times and they have brought more joy to the good times than I ever could have imagined.

“The days of our lives, for all of us, are numbered. We know that. And, yes, there are certainly times when we aren't able to muster as much strength and patience as we would like. It’s called being human. But I have found that in the simple act of living with hope, and in the daily effort to have a positive impact in the world, the days I do have are made all the more meaningful and precious. And for that I am grateful.

“It isn’t possible to put into words the love and gratitude I feel to everyone who has and continues to support and inspire me every day. To you I simply say: you know.

“With love, Elizabeth.”

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 12-07-2010, 05:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

So sad, for all involved. The Edwards family has endured so much hardship, beginning with Wade's death. Gutting, of course, for the children. At one point, I think magazines announced that Catherine, not John, would be their guardian--wonder if that's the case.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Though not unexpected, it's still terribly sad. I really liked Elizabeth. RIP.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I lived in North Carolina for 18 years, and thus I find her death to be very sad. Elizabeth is one of the only political celebrities from NC that actually had any sense. If only there were more people out there like her, the world would be a much better place. What a genuinely classy lady .
Old 12-09-2010, 10:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Apparently Elizabeth Edward's funeral is going to be picketed by Westboro Baptist:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/1...171,b=facebook

If anyone's going to burn in Hell, it will be those folks. I've never seen such hatred from any one group of people in my lifetime. What in the world has happened to decency?!