User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-19-2009, 04:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Peter Green & Friends in Milan

Hello from Italy.

I went to see Peter Green yesterday night in Milan!

About the gig: I enjoyed the variety of the repertoire. Peter seems to get back to the artists which got him into the
music when he was young, Memphis Slim, Bobby Parker, the 3 Kings, Big Bill Broonzy, Elmore James, ecc.. and he tries to play them songs
as near as he can to the their original feel.....

His playing is overall much better than in the SG and now when you go to see and hear Peter Green you really see and
hear Peter Green and not Nigel Watson trying to play like Peter Green!

I felt that his blues playing was really strong on Pretty Woman and both "Oh Well and Albatross" were great.

Also "Sitting In The Rain" was played to perfection both by Peter and Mike.

Then, after the show, thanks to Mike Dodd, my wife and myself meet Peter and talked to him for about 10 minutes!

I gave him a message from Martin and much to my surprise he KNEW who I was!!!

Mike Dodd and his wife Sara really gave me a great time, a night I will remember for the rest of my life!

Cheers,

Mario.

ps they are playing in London next month.......
Old 11-19-2009, 06:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for the review, Mario! And what a great story about Peter talking with you and already knowing who you are
Old 11-19-2009, 09:58 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario View Post
Hello from Italy.

About the gig: I enjoyed the variety of the repertoire. Peter seems to get back to the artists which got him into the
music when he was young, Memphis Slim, Bobby Parker, the 3 Kings, Big Bill Broonzy, Elmore James, ecc.. and he tries to play them songs

His playing is overall much better than in the SG and now when you go to see and hear Peter Green you really see and

I felt that his blues playing was really strong on Pretty Woman and both "Oh Well and Albatross" were great.

Then, after the show, thanks to Mike Dodd, my wife and myself meet Peter and talked to him for about 10 minutes!

Mike Dodd and his wife Sara really gave me a great time, a night I will remember for the rest of my life!

Cheers,

Mario.

Any mention of playing in the US?
Old 11-20-2009, 05:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by librax2 View Post
Any mention of playing in the US?
No, sorry we didn't talk about it.

They will be touring England now I do believe.....

Mario.
Old 11-20-2009, 06:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thank you for the review, Mario. I saw PG and Friends in Copenhagen on the 8th of november, and I agree with all that you write. That Pretty woman thing is getting better and better.....It's great to hear PG himself playing, and you recognize that tone anywhere. Still they all seemed a bit tired and worn out. And PG seemed distracted. Mike Dodd had a hard time trying to vitalize things that night. In Denmark they played three concerts in three different parts of the country (which is not very big I admit) in two days.

It must have been quite an experience for you meeting PG and being recognized. Are you still in chock? What was it like? Was it hard to find something to talk about? Or easy?

Ms Moose
Old 11-20-2009, 06:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Hello from Italy.

Cheers,

Mario.

You lucky bastard. But anyway, a master experience I presume. Congrats.
Old 11-21-2009, 03:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Moose View Post
Thank you for the review, Mario. I saw PG and Friends in Copenhagen on the 8th of november, and I agree with all that you write. That Pretty woman thing is getting better and better.....It's great to hear PG himself playing, and you recognize that tone anywhere. Still they all seemed a bit tired and worn out. And PG seemed distracted. Mike Dodd had a hard time trying to vitalize things that night. In Denmark they played three concerts in three different parts of the country (which is not very big I admit) in two days.

It must have been quite an experience for you meeting PG and being recognized. Are you still in chock? What was it like? Was it hard to find something to talk about? Or easy?

Ms Moose
What can I say? Peter was very relaxed, and smiled when I gave him the message from Martin...

Oddly enough he seemed to be interested in my ordinary job (I'm a bank employer) and in the fact that I'm an ex footballer.....!

Mario.
Old 11-21-2009, 08:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Does Peter have a large fan-base, it must be sad for him - knowing that his old band is world class nowdays, and he is not part of it

I think that might be how it go's...
Old 11-22-2009, 01:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowi View Post
Does Peter have a large fan-base, it must be sad for him - knowing that his old band is world class nowdays, and he is not part of it

I think that might be how it go's...
Peter Green is in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, as is Jeremy Spencer, and Danny Kirwan. Without almost three years of Fleetwood Mac, there is no Nicks/Buckingham version of FM.

Actually the person who is getting the royal shaft is Bob Welch. Welch held the band together to get to 1975, otherwise it would've been no more. Welch didn't get an RnR Hall of Fame honor. Mick Fleetwood still holds a grudge.

Do not feel sorry for Peter Green. Everytime Santana's "Black Magic Woman" is played on radio , Peter Green makes money.

Last edited by slipkid; 11-22-2009 at 01:13 AM..
Old 11-22-2009, 04:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

So he still makes money? I thought he was like the disowned child of FM
Old 11-22-2009, 08:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowi View Post
So he still makes money? I thought he was like the disowned child of FM
Actually I'd be curious to see how much in the way of royalties actually makes its way to Peter. Jeremy Spencer mentioned somewhere in the pre-Rumours forum that he doesn't get royalties on some of his old stuff...

As for disowned, I don't think anyone has ever disowned him, not members of the band or members of the public. He is more idolised and admired for his talent than probably anyone else who has ever featured in the band.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post
Actually I'd be curious to see how much in the way of royalties actually makes its way to Peter. Jeremy Spencer mentioned somewhere in the pre-Rumours forum that he doesn't get royalties on some of his old stuff...

As for disowned, I don't think anyone has ever disowned him, not members of the band or members of the public. He is more idolised and admired for his talent than probably anyone else who has ever featured in the band.
True
Old 11-26-2009, 07:13 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipkid View Post

Do not feel sorry for Peter Green. Everytime Santana's "Black Magic Woman" is played on radio , Peter Green makes money.
Isn't that one of the things Mich Reynolds made sure of in the early 90's, that Peter got his royalties from the early hits?

I know it was said that Syd Barrett made around £100k per year from Piper at the Gates Of Dawn by the late 90's...so if the money is getting to him, Peter is doing OK. In a 1994 interview (was it Mojo magazine?) he said he would ask his manager if he had enough money to buy this car or that guitar and the answer was always "yes".

Pete doesn't want to be famous any more, arguably he never did. He has no grudge with FM becoming even bigger some years after he left....he's said nice things about Rumours and about Lindsay and Stevie. Mick still reveres Peter and his talent, John too...and anyone who saw Stevie Nicks gently rubbing Peter's arm as they were inducted into the R&R Hall of Fame knows she clearly knows Peter Green is to be treated reverentially!

Last edited by absinthe_boy; 11-26-2009 at 07:16 AM..
Old 11-26-2009, 03:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

In the Q & A Peter Green said, when asked about royalties:

Peter Green:
Quote:
Yes, all the musicians do get their share of royalties. We have had difficulty over the years in collecting from some record companies but my manager Mich is slowly tracking them down and getting them all in for me. Danny Kirwan is still receiving his and is doing O.K.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
What can I say? Peter was very relaxed, and smiled when I gave him the message from Martin...

Oddly enough he seemed to be interested in my ordinary job (I'm a bank employer) and in the fact that I'm an ex footballer.....!

Mario.
It is a very nice trait that he is actually taking an interest in the people who admires his music, isn't it? And you are doing a lot to further interest in PG and his music, Mario, so....Thanks for sharing it.

How do you feel about the meeting now when there is some distance?

"The friends" seem to protect him a lot more from the public, than it was the case in Splintergroup. He was very (too) exposed to all kinds of fans then(IMO). Martin Celmins actually writes about this in the biography. Even if your health is super-duper brilliant this constant exposure must be hell. If you are a bit fragile it must feel like an impingement.

I found this on YouTube from Sarzana the 19th of november, the night after the Milan gig.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ5qy...eature=related

Enjoy!

Ms Moose