The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-11-2016, 08:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Well I'm torn, is it the BTM or Time era or the Dave Walker era? As my favourite member, I think I have to go with that Dave Walker era, or more specifically those three albums Penguin, Mystery to Me and Heroes are Hard To Find. The best one being Penguin because Mr Walker is on there.
Old 10-11-2016, 08:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientQueen View Post
This!
My favorite is the Bob Welch era. Some of the best musicians, songwriters and entertainers came to together and created some of the greatest music ever. The "Bermuda Triangle" Bootleg is testament of their abilities. Bob Welch is so criminally underrated, it's just sad.
'tis true

tencharacters
Old 10-11-2016, 08:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yeah, if everyone who has an opinion is kicked off The Ledge, it would be a lonely place. And - be careful, Alex, I'm fast, strong and mean .

I don't have anything against Lindsey, it's just that the idiotic "he made the "girls" songs better" is both mysogynist and plain wrong since 1979.
My left wing feminist (and fleetwood mac hating) wife and I have arguments over her labeling everything as misogynist

Misogynist: a person who dislikes, despises, or is strongly prejudiced against women.

Nah I just dislike most of Lindsey's stuff because it all sounds the bloody same and he draws out the last word of every line like tttttttthhhhhhhhhhiiiiiiisssssssssssss....
Old 10-11-2016, 10:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post
Nah I just dislike most of Lindsey's stuff because it all sounds the bloody same and he draws out the last word of every line like tttttttthhhhhhhhhhiiiiiiisssssssssssss....
Now THIS is funny, because my biggest Stevie complaint is how she always has to have the last word(live). She repeats the god damned last word of every line, whether it's verse or chorus(or even on her song, for that matter!).

"Damn the light(the light, the light, the light, the light!!!!)"

Why doesn't she just STFU?

I've pointed it out to my FANATIC Stevie friends, who claim they never even noticed that she does this, until I pointed it out. She always has to have the last word. Probably why she's still single....
Old 10-11-2016, 10:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
NShe always has to have the last word. Probably why she's still single....
see now - THIS is misogynistic. (unlike what Ancientqueen tried to sell earlier)

i know you are kidding, but statements like this are a part of this deeply seeded male insecurity.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 10-11-2016, 10:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
see now - THIS is misogynistic. (unlike what Ancientqueen tried to sell earlier)

i know you are kidding, but statements like this are a part of this deeply seeded male insecurity.
I'm a pretty quiet guy, and really don't like people who talk too much. ANYONE who talks too much. And her repeating the last words, is (IMO) her talking too much.
Old 10-11-2016, 10:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I think it has to do with me strongly disliking the way the male bandmembers tend to belittle the archivements of Stevie and especially Christine, simply because they fear that FM could be seen as a "Girlgroup". I understand why they do it, but it still makes me mad. Christine has written and performed fantastic music long before Lindsey came into the band. His production skills (aka he likes to stay in the recording studio and play around) helped Tusk as a whole, he did some good stuff with Stevies songs on Mirage, but Tango was already outdated in 1989, he overproduced this one so profoundly that it lost all possilbe quality after 1990 in tingle and tangle.
Old 10-11-2016, 11:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think it has to do with me strongly disliking the way the male bandmembers tend to belittle the archivements of Stevie and especially Christine,
i never got that message. yes for Stevie not being a musician, but NEVER about Christine. can you give some examples?

also i'm confused how does being annoyed about someone arranging other band members' songs lead to claiming his [highly kooky] songs do not have a hook.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 10-11-2016, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetwood Jack View Post
JBrownSJR, I absolutely love that reference!
I'm so glad you got it. John Courage use to bellow that!
Old 10-11-2016, 12:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

As usual, a simple question in the Rumours forum (what's your favorite FM era) has turned into a thread of Lindsey bashing and Stevie bashing.
Old 10-11-2016, 02:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

-Did it have (in your opinion the best album), it has to have no filler or next to no filler.
-Do you think that's when they gave their best live performances, (if any).
-Were the B-Sides/Outtakes good?
-This one is just kind of a side note. Did it have their best interviews and promotional/music videos.
-Do you like the solo albums that were released from around that time. Like how Go Insane, Rock-A-Little, and Christine McVie are almost a part of the Tango In The Night era.

The best album with no filler- come on guys...Rumours
Best live performances...probably not 1977 but damn good that year all the same.
Best B side...check
Solo albums...none in 1977 (thats a good thing. no solo distractions).

Yup, the best year for Fleetwood Mac was without doubt 1977, by a country mile.

PS- sorry Fleetwood Jack, but I wouldn't consider Go Insane, Rock a Little and Christine McVie to be Tango In The Night era. If anything I'd personally align them more with Mirage (but they aren't really Mirage either- cos they're solo)
Old 10-11-2016, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
-Did it have (in your opinion the best album), it has to have no filler or next to no filler.
-Do you think that's when they gave their best live performances, (if any).
-Were the B-Sides/Outtakes good?
-This one is just kind of a side note. Did it have their best interviews and promotional/music videos.
-Do you like the solo albums that were released from around that time. Like how Go Insane, Rock-A-Little, and Christine McVie are almost a part of the Tango In The Night era.

The best album with no filler- come on guys...Rumours
Best live performances...probably not 1977 but damn good that year all the same.
Best B side...check
Solo albums...none in 1977 (thats a good thing. no solo distractions).

Yup, the best year for Fleetwood Mac was without doubt 1977, by a country mile.

PS- sorry Fleetwood Jack, but I wouldn't consider Go Insane, Rock a Little and Christine McVie to be Tango In The Night era. If anything I'd personally align them more with Mirage (but they aren't really Mirage either- cos they're solo)
Im going to second this. As things progressed and got more complex, the water got muddy with so many other factors. Rumours era was pristine..
Old 10-11-2016, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer999 View Post
As usual, a simple question in the Rumours forum (what's your favorite FM era) has turned into a thread of Lindsey bashing and Stevie bashing.
As long as you don't bash Christine.
Old 10-11-2016, 05:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Oh please. Not even the critics could find a hook in this one, even Lindsey himself referred to that more than once. It's powerful, virtuos and energetic, but it does not have a great hook.
See? The discjockey and Lindsey referred to that that LA DJ could't find the BEAT, or the GROOVE in the opening of the song, because of the slight disorienting, last minute added acoustic guitarstrum. That has NOTHING to do with a hook, which means that there is a strong rythmic or melodic headbanger or hummer or singalong part in the song. The whole song is overloaded with all of that. It has some of the strongest hooks in pophistory.

Last edited by shackin'up; 10-11-2016 at 06:23 PM..
Old 10-11-2016, 06:03 PM
Supporting Ledgie

For me it's 1975-1987... with 1997 thrown in.

However lately I've really started appreciating the 1971-1974 era a lot more, especially Christine's songs.