User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-05-2015, 04:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by welcomechris View Post
I just think people on this board always have something to complain about. If Stevie threw a million dollars at you, You'd still figure out a way to make an argument about it.

Nobody can respect Stevie's opinions either. She is 67 years old. When I'm 67 I'll be in my house in California on the beach resting. Stevie is touring the world 2 and a half hours a night. Then she try's to be nice to fans and record an album for fans to enjoy, and people just bash it.

You have the right to think or say whatever you want, but I do too.
We're all just people/fans expressing our perceptions and opinions. Stevie isn't affected in any way from our chatter whether it be positive or negative. Nothing we say here is that precious. We're not kicking her dogs.
Old 07-05-2015, 09:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
If she didn't tell us the album was done in two weeks you wouldn't be complaining about it. Best album she has done since Bella Donna.
Wrong. You can't polish a turd, regardless of how long it's been floating.

I'd rather listen and do listen to any of Stevie's other solo albums. I regularly listen to them all. 24kg is the only one I find to be complete rubbish.
Old 07-05-2015, 01:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer999 View Post
The funny thing is that there are A LOT of production issues on both "Bella Donna" and "The Wild Heart". Not just vocally, but musically, and in the mixing and mastering as well...and nobody complains about those albums in regards to those issues.

I could compile a HUGE list of production issues with those albums, and go song by song if needed.

But the fact is both those records are lauded as being a part of the "very best" of Stevie's solo career (and I would agree) so everyone turns a blind eye to the production "mistakes", despite there being many more "issues" than 24KG!

So why are we "picking apart" 24KG just because it was recorded in 2-3 weeks?
What's funny is that NO ONE is complaining about the music and how it was mixed. EVERYONE here seems to be complaining about the weird compressed vocals within the mix. Granted, that's a big reason as to why we are all Stevie fans...BECAUSE of her voice.

No. The timeframe of when it was recorded to when it was released has NOTHING to do with the weird compressed vocals. They are what they are. You either like them or you don't. I, for one, refuse to let something as innocuous as weird compressed vocal takes hinder my enjoyment of an album I've been waiting YEARS for her to record.

"If You Were My Love", "ATBW", "Belle Fleur", "Hard Advice", "Watch Chain" and ESPECIALLY "24 Karat Gold" are just pure, classic Stevie Nicks...and I defy ANYONE to tell me otherwise simply because of a "compression" or "production" foible. How stupid!
we're not talking about production mistakes, we're talking engineering mistakes. technological mistakes.
Old 07-05-2015, 03:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
we're not talking about production mistakes, we're talking engineering mistakes. technological mistakes.
Really? Because the name of this thread, and the question posed by the OP is "why is 24Kg PRODUCED so badly. So that's the question in which I was giving my opinion.
Old 07-05-2015, 05:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer999 View Post
Really? Because the name of this thread, and the question posed by the OP is "why is 24Kg PRODUCED so badly. So that's the question in which I was giving my opinion.
fair enough. but I was referring to and continuing the thread of the last several posts.
Old 07-05-2015, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWILDheart View Post
Ok, now this is exactly like one of my family discussions.

Could someone explain what and where exactly are these insurmountable sound problems?
For now it's only been named the compressions of the vocals, which didn't bother me at all personally.
And what is the difference between engineering problems and production problems? Isn't engineering part of the production?
Old 07-05-2015, 06:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post

Could someone explain what and where exactly are these insurmountable sound problems?
For now it's only been named the compressions of the vocals, which didn't bother me at all personally.
And what is the difference between engineering problems and production problems? Isn't engineering part of the production?
Production is the artistic vision for each song and the album as a whole: the mood, the arrangement, what the musicians play, how fast, how she sings it, how many overdubs there are, backing vocals, whatever. A producer in music is like a director in films.

Engineering issues are the technicalities of actually recording the vision. It would be a lot like the camera person in movie making. You can have a beautiful story for your film, and the director can have great ideas on how to film it, when to use close ups, how elaborate the sets or costumes are, how to edit it, what shots to leave in or take out etc. But no matter how great a scene, if the camera man jiggles the camera, or doesn't get it in focus, etc. then your great film looks like crap and annoys people who can't see a clear picture.

Since the producer is the boss of the process, s/he should also ensure that the engineering of the album is up to snuff.

So on 24k, to me, and a lot of other folks, Stevie's voice is "out of focus" on many of the songs, among other things. Hope that helps.

Last edited by bombaysaffires; 07-05-2015 at 06:54 PM..
Old 07-05-2015, 08:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Production is the artistic vision for each song and the album as a whole: the mood, the arrangement, what the musicians play, how fast, how she sings it, how many overdubs there are, backing vocals, whatever. A producer in music is like a director in films.

Engineering issues are the technicalities of actually recording the vision. It would be a lot like the camera person in movie making. You can have a beautiful story for your film, and the director can have great ideas on how to film it, when to use close ups, how elaborate the sets or costumes are, how to edit it, what shots to leave in or take out etc. But no matter how great a scene, if the camera man jiggles the camera, or doesn't get it in focus, etc. then your great film looks like crap and annoys people who can't see a clear picture.

Since the producer is the boss of the process, s/he should also ensure that the engineering of the album is up to snuff.

So on 24k, to me, and a lot of other folks, Stevie's voice is "out of focus" on many of the songs, among other things. Hope that helps.
Thanks for explaining the distinction. It helped me!
Old 07-05-2015, 09:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks helped me too

To me 24k is like a rough diamond, and exactly why i love it..
Old 07-05-2015, 11:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWILDheart View Post

I'd rather listen and do listen to any of Stevie's other solo albums. I regularly listen to them all. 24kg is the only one I find to be complete rubbish.
And you can't give someone good taste either...
Old 07-06-2015, 02:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie W/Heart View Post

To me 24k is like a rough diamond...

It reminds me of an old chunk of coal too.
Old 07-06-2015, 05:23 AM

Quote:

Thanks, this was succint and complete:

By the way the problems with Stevie's voice went unnoticed by me among the completenesse of the album.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotafraid View Post
It reminds me of an old chunk of coal too.
lol, Not!!
Old 07-06-2015, 10:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post

It's particularly noticeable when you listen through headphones. Take "Starshine" as a prime example. This fantastic, rocking intro builds up to the first line, and then sudenly the vocals kick in. The distortion is so obvious, I don't know how anyone can not hear it. Nothing to do with Stevie's performance and everything to do with a lousy recording. Not only is it distorted, it sounds like Stevie was performing the song with her mic in the next room. It's the same on "The Dealer", only both the vocals and the hammond sound distorted - like they've been recorded from a YouTube rip or from a stream/radio.

When the 24KG stream first came up, I wasn't bothered as I figured it was a low quality stream. But no. It's all their on the recording.

Do yourself a favour, mix a small playlist with 24KG tracks in with other tracks from recent albums (stuff from TISL onwards) and you'll see what I mean.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

A lot of debate around my original post!

I must clear something up, I think my use of the word "production" was misguided, in essence I meant the distortion on Stevie's voice and assumed this came under production, but is most probably engineering.

I agree with the previous poster, listen to her voice on TISL, and then on 24KG. Considering the latter was 14 years later, it simply has has to be a problem in the recording, and although I don't want to think it was a rush job, the evidence points to it being so.

I LOVE the album, but I just wish it wasn't there.