Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzo View Post
OK so three of her best ever songs...
Don't you think your the last person who should be criticizing someone not loving generally loved songs!

He Will Burn You Down
Old 07-07-2015, 01:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
But some folks who've seen them live say when she flings her head/hair around you don't see evidence of extensions. Though if you have a really good hair stylist, you shouldn't be able to tell...
I don't see them with Stevie and she turns her head upside down too. There are a lot of rich artists out there who can pay for the best hair stylist, someone to travelw with them and attend to their locks daily, but their hair still doesn't look as natural as Stevie's.

I agree that it shouldn't be this thick at her age, though.

Michele
Old 07-07-2015, 05:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Don't you think your the last person who should be criticizing someone not loving generally loved songs!
True, but it is all about level of taste, isn't it?!
Old 07-07-2015, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I don't see them with Stevie and she turns her head upside down too. There are a lot of rich artists out there who can pay for the best hair stylist, someone to travelw with them and attend to their locks daily, but their hair still doesn't look as natural as Stevie's.

Michele
There are many ways, natural and not, to thicken someone's hair, for example henna, backing soda but also keratine treatment and silicones.
Stevie always had very thick hair, so it's not a surprise that she managed to mantain it so with a little external help.
Old 07-07-2015, 07:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post

Michele
idk i think her hair is naturally very long
and she probably doesn't wear extensions
maybe she just wears a halo to give her hair bulk
like Jane Fonda in Grace & Frankie
Old 07-08-2015, 11:22 AM

Stevie's piano playing is like nails on a chalk board.

I like Welcome To The Room Sara and When I See You Again.

Her relationship with Lindsey is nothing but PR that works very well. They have zero romantic feelings for each other. Writing about each other is still great inspiration, but nothing more. Guesting on each albums boosts sales.

I love her voice on the Mirage Tour and her SOTM screams.

I hate her tone quality these days. (Although I think her pitch is better than CM and LB on this tour) Of course, her range is much smaller.

The last few songs on IYD are killer and the beginning is horrible.

Love TOSOTM and Ohh My Love and Alice

Last edited by jbrownsjr; 07-08-2015 at 11:27 AM..
Old 07-08-2015, 11:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

As good as the songs on Bella Donna are, the album as a whole does not cohere as a viable artist's statement. It feels like what it is: a cleverly arranged, well-performed bunch of songs most of which were written long before its release.

Imperial Hotel is one of her best songs.

Blue Denimn is better than anything on any of her solo albums before or after it--save Planets and Anna Belle Lee, which are its equal.

24 Carrot Gold is dull, primarily because the songs are too long. Stevie gets upset if her precious verses are cut but they often need to be to serve the progression of a song.

Lady is an instant classic worthy of the best cabaret songs, like Send in the Clowns.

Although her range has suffered and her tone is harsher than it's ever been, she sings more intelligently now than she ever has.
Old 07-08-2015, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post

Although her range has suffered and her tone is harsher than it's ever been, she sings more intelligently now than she ever has.
It's true. As a singer I really understand what she's done and applaud her for it. Still, I don't like the tone.
Old 07-08-2015, 11:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
It's true. As a singer I really understand what she's done and applaud her for it. Still, I don't like the tone.
You get me....
Old 07-08-2015, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
You get me....
Who in the world do you think that you are fooling?
Well I've already done everything that you are doing
Well the two of us, well we must be...
A great temptation to have even started.

lol... love you Tony!
Old 07-08-2015, 12:03 PM
Ledgie

1. The whole "mystical Stevie" persona has been dead since 1982. She's been on performance auto-pilot since 1987. Her live performances on the Rock A Little tour are not rocky and coketastic, they are sloppy and messy with awful vocals.

2. Stevie's 1975-1983 voice is probably my favourite voice ever. Her low, raspy vocals these days aren't great. I wish she'd get the nose surgery which could improve her voice and range because it isn't in great shape unfortunately.

3. She hasn't written an excellent song since The Wild Heart.

4. I believe a lot of her songs are just spew, spur of the moment stuff that sometimes sticks. That's why she wrote so much in the 1970s, some of it was amazing. Some not so great.

5. Her 1990-1994 output is absolutely atrocious. Not one good song amongst the 20 or so songs from that period.

6. Her inflated ego since 1997 is very annoying. I love how innocent her early interviews are, she is genuine in them. Her recent interviews seem very outlandish and inflated.

7. Her songs on Say You Will are really quite great, but since then I think she's lost her ability to write. Her label making her wait for 10 years is only an excuse I'd say. The two news on 24KG are absolutely awful. Maybe that's the reason she's holding out on the new FM album?

8. She should never work with Mike Chapman or Dave Smith again. Both bring out the blandness in her writing and vocals.

But despite all that, I love her and I'm seeing her on both Friday and Saturday in Dublin
Old 07-08-2015, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Juggler View Post

6. Her inflated ego since 1997 is very annoying. I love how innocent her early interviews are, she is genuine in them. Her recent interviews seem very outlandish and inflated.
She used to know who she was......
Old 07-08-2015, 06:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Who in the world do you think that you are fooling?
Well I've already done everything that you are doing
Well the two of us, well we must be...
A great temptation to have even started.

lol... love you Tony!
Right back, doll!
Old 07-08-2015, 06:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Juggler View Post
1. The whole "mystical Stevie" persona has been dead since 1982. She's been on performance auto-pilot since 1987. Her live performances on the Rock A Little tour are not rocky and coketastic, they are sloppy and messy with awful vocals.

2. Stevie's 1975-1983 voice is probably my favourite voice ever. Her low, raspy vocals these days aren't great. I wish she'd get the nose surgery which could improve her voice and range because it isn't in great shape unfortunately.

3. She hasn't written an excellent song since The Wild Heart.

4. I believe a lot of her songs are just spew, spur of the moment stuff that sometimes sticks. That's why she wrote so much in the 1970s, some of it was amazing. Some not so great.

5. Her 1990-1994 output is absolutely atrocious. Not one good song amongst the 20 or so songs from that period.

7. Her songs on Say You Will are really quite great, but since then I think she's lost her ability to write. Her label making her wait for 10 years is only an excuse I'd say. The two news on 24KG are absolutely awful. Maybe that's the reason she's holding out on the new FM album?

8. She should never work with Mike Chapman or Dave Smith again. Both bring out the blandness in her writing and vocals.

But despite all that, I love her and I'm seeing her on both Friday and Saturday in Dublin
I'm in Dublin now and will, tragically, miss them by one friggin day! I've already seen them twice on this tour but seeing them in Dublin, the place where Christine reemerged, would be amazing. And, from what I have seen, Dubliners are die hard classic rock fans. ACDC was here the other day and I swear the city center went nuts.
Old 07-08-2015, 08:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Stevie's piano playing is like nails on a chalk board.

I like Welcome To The Room Sara and When I See You Again.

Her relationship with Lindsey is nothing but PR that works very well. They have zero romantic feelings for each other. Writing about each other is still great inspiration, but nothing more. Guesting on each albums boosts sales.

I love her voice on the Mirage Tour and her SOTM screams.

I hate her tone quality these days. (Although I think her pitch is better than CM and LB on this tour) Of course, her range is much smaller.

The last few songs on IYD are killer and the beginning is horrible.

Love TOSOTM and Ohh My Love and Alice
I really agree with your first two points and your last point here. The piano has got to stop, and the TITN songs are fascinating. And the last part of IYD is super, but the first two thirds are filler at best.