User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-23-2015, 10:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInNV View Post

Singing about Utah's warm, wet and thunderous midweek forecast, Stevie Nicks might huskily tempt you to "open up the window ... throw away the pain [and] take time, baby, to listen to the rain."
I appreciate that. Even in Fleetwood Mac album or concert reviews, you get the impression that the writers don't know anything that's not from Rumours sometimes.

Michele
Old 07-26-2015, 11:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[From a New York Times article about a ghostwriter for Miley Cyrus and other stars]

By SHEILA MARIKARJULY 25, 2015

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/26/st...time.html?_r=0

Ms. [Hilary] Liftin has a list of stars whose voices she hopes to channel. At the top, of course: Caitlyn Jenner. She notes that Stevie Nicks has never written a memoir. But depending on how her novel fares, she may explore similar material in another. She said she hopes the book’s “sincere and sympathetic” take on stars’ tribulations earns her more fans in that community.
Old 07-31-2015, 12:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

[From a review of Clutch's album]

Billboard, By Gary Graff | July 29, 2015 9:00 AM EDT

http://www.billboard.com/articles/co...video-premiere

There are, in fact, plenty of concrete concepts in Clutch's dozen new songs this time out. "The lyrics are more narrative than probably any other previous Clutch album," acknowledges Fallon, who even invokes an early life passion for Stevie Nicks on another track, "Sucker for the Witch." "There's more action that happens. When I write a song there's usually some vague movie that's running in the back of my mind that the music has evoked, and I try to bring that to the words. I never wanted to be heavy-handed and say, 'This is a rock opera' or a concept record, because that can be oppressive. But I like lyrics and music that sound cinematic, because I like the escapism in rock 'n' roll."
Old 07-31-2015, 12:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

[From an article on Heather Sullivan]

A music career on cruise control

July 29, 2015 By David Hayes Issaquah press

http://www.issaquahpress.com/2015/07...ruise-control/

“I get Stevie Nicks all the time,” she said. “I sang ‘Dreams’ at a concert, but what is interesting, if you watch me perform, I look nothing like Stevie. I’d say I’m more a Bette Midler and Stevie Nicks cross. Bette moves a lot. You never know what she’s going to say. And Stevie is more taciturn.”
Old 08-03-2015, 05:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The Scene: The Classic Rock Legacy

10 Big ’70s Rock Songs You Never Really Need to Spin Again

by Rob Patterson / Best Classic Bands 8/2/2015

http://bestclassicbands.com/10-big-7...-again-8-2-15/

6) “Dreams” by Fleetwood Mac – The big Mac’s only #1 single. Some due recognition must be given to the millions of men (and surely many women) whose crush on Stevie Nicks evoked such deep swoons that this number – written by her in a mere 10 minutes – slipped into countless hearts where it only takes the mention of Stevie’s name for the song to start playing by memory.
Old 08-05-2015, 03:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Entertainment Weekly Review of Ricki and the Flash 8/4/2015

by Leah Greenblatt

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/08/04...lash-ew-review

Of all the parts Meryl Streep has played on screen—nun, nuclear activist, pill-popping matriarch, Prada-clad editrix—she’s never been credited as a magician. But that’s essentially what she does in every film she appears in: sprinkle the pixie dust of her ineffable Streep-ness over even the most banal scripts and underwritten roles. Ricki and the Flash isn’t a great movie; its archetypes are tired and its plot turns textbook. But she commits utterly to Ricki, an aging free spirit attempting to reconnect with her three adult children years after leaving them behind to pursue rock stardom. That sacrifice hasn’t landed her much beyond a dumpy L.A. apartment, a weekly gig cranking out Tom Petty covers for drowsy barflies in Tarzana, and a sweet but equally broke boyfriend-slash-bandmate (Rick Springfield). When a family emergency calls her back to Indiana, she can barely afford the ticket, and it’s clear how poorly she fits into the Midwestern propriety of her old life; with her thumb rings, spiky side braids, and smudged eyeliner, she looks like Stevie Nicks’ insolvent sister.
Old 08-05-2015, 11:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post

Of all the parts Meryl Streep has played...

with her thumb rings, spiky side braids, and smudged eyeliner, she looks like Stevie Nicks’ insolvent sister.

Maybe the greatest actress of our time needs
to rethink which movies to star in. Why Meryl,
why?

This would have been good for Stevie herself to
play. Not much would have been expected of her.
And she would fit the part.
Old 08-05-2015, 11:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotafraid View Post
Maybe the greatest actress of our time needs
to rethink which movies to star in. Why Meryl,
why?
I was actually more excited when I thought we'd see Meryl being a rock star than I am to know that the plot deals mostly with a mom reconnecting with estranged children. A story Meryl has been asked to tell before. I mean, the mom in Kramer v. Kramer might have gone on to become a rock star after she gave custody of the son back to Dustin Hoffman.

Ricki isn't as much of a departure for the actress as I thought it would be, just from looking at the posters.

Michele
Old 08-12-2015, 12:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

[Real Housewives Mention Stevie] Daily Mail UK August 11, 2015

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...#ixzz3iZj1A8vk

During their last supper Tamra criticized Meghan's choice of accessories.

'What the hell is she wearing on her head, who does she think she is, Stevie Nicks? She probably doesn't even know who Stevie Nicks is,' she moaned.
Old 08-31-2015, 02:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[From a Burt Ross blog joking about his celebrity cluelessness] Malibu Times, 8-31-2015

http://www.malibutimes.com/blogs/art...231bb9a55.html

A few months ago, my friend Tris Imboden – the “happy drummer” for the band Chicago – was driving me around and pointed to a home.

“Stevie Nicks lives there,” he observed.

“Who is he?” I asked Tris.

He slammed on the brakes. “Are you putting me on?” he said. (I guess I was supposed to know who this fellow was.) “Stevie Nicks is a she not a he,” Tris explained as if addressing somebody who had just landed from Mars.

“Stevie Wonder is a he so why can’t Stevie Nicks be a he?” I wanted to know.

Tris continued driving and sighed, “You are hopeless.”

When I first arrived in town, a neighbor told me that Don Henley lived near me. I asked him who Don Henley was. I can still recall his look of utter disbelief bordering on disdain. “He plays with the Eagles,” he informed me in a most condescending tone.

I checked online and reported back to my neighbor, “Don Henley does not play with the Eagles.”

Condescension became total derision, “Don Henley is the Eagles,” he reported as if talking to a first grader.

“Well, you might want to know I checked online, all the way back to the early 1960s, and Don Henley never played for the Philadelphia Eagles. I would put money on it!”

My neighbor could barely contain his frustration. “The rock band the Eagles not the Philadelphia Eagles,” he explained, leaving out the words “you idiot,” which were clearly implied.

I come by my difficulty recognizing the famous quite honestly. My dad was at a Paris hotel back in the 1980s when he saw a woman whom he recognized, but wasn’t certain from where he knew her. He thought and thought, and finally concluded she was a member of his country club in New Jersey. Just as he was about to approach her, he heard somebody exclaim, “There’s Lady Bird Johnson.” It’s not everybody who can confuse the former first lady of the nation with a member of his country club.

So, if any of you have some stars to show me, you’d be better off pointing me to the heavens.

Last edited by michelej1; 08-31-2015 at 02:51 PM..
Old 09-02-2015, 08:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

From Norman Seeff’s website:

“Stevie is steeped in the magic and the mystery of both creation and its manifestation - terrified in the anticipation, but once immersed in the act, it is the breath of life for her. She brings a powerful resonance of presence to her stage performance, with a deep knowing that can always find the magic. Stevie knows the magic is "The Love”.

More info here and here.

Crystallineknowledge
Dedicated to Stevie.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

From an article about Miss America Kira Kazantsev

Press of Atlantic City, September 1, 2015 NICOLE LEONARD, Staff Writer

http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/m...6de0db31d.html

Although the going might get tough, attending music award shows, meeting celebrities such as Stevie Nicks and Payton Manning and flying in a Blackhawk helicopter were part of the “exhilarating ride of a lifetime.”
Old 09-05-2015, 09:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[from an article on Graham Blazer] Stuff Co. NZ

ANABELA REA Last updated 17:21, September 4 2015

http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment...owroom-eternal

He said one of the highlights of his career was when Hello Sailor opened for Fleetwood Mac at Western Springs in the 70's, and Stevie Nicks had given him a single red rose after the show.
Old 09-13-2015, 08:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

By The Gay UK, Sep 13 2015 04:03PM

http://www.thegayuk.com/magazine/457...ecord/10129009

However, the making of this album hasn’t been a straight forward process. At one point Leona wasn’t sure whether she was going to make another record, and was writing songs without a specific aim other than the sole, pure purpose of making music again. Luckily, a chance encounter spurred her on when she was invited to a small Fleetwood Mac gig. She had never met them before but has always been a huge Stevie Nicks fan. A friend shoved her forward to meet the band for the first time and Nicks was quick to greet Leona.

“She grabbed hold of me, hugged me and started singing my song to me. She sang 'Bleeding Love' and then she was like: "You have to keep going, we need you, we need your music." She won’t know what a huge impression she made on me and how much she inspired me and inspired this record but she did give me that spur of encouragement. She is awesome. Everyone needs a Stevie in their life,” she laughs.
Old 09-13-2015, 08:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[Excerpt from a Delta Rae review]

Seattle Today 9/13/2015 By Kevin C. Johnson, Daniel Durchholz and Ian Froeb

http://www.stltoday.com/entertainmen...3319e1aed.html

But the band tends to nail everything to the wall perhaps a little too emphatically; even songs that began as ballads, such as the spooky “I Will Never Die,” which interpolated a bit of Fleetwood Mac’s “Rhiannon,” end in a pounding frenzy. Call it a case of the Mumfs, after Mumford & Sons, who seem to have started that trend.