User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Springs View Post
I wish I felt inspired at the moment. I'm feeling quite uncreative today (uck!), so just spending my time researching for my classes and dissertation.

It makes me laugh so much when people who are living on the dole seem to develop an oracle state when it comes to the working industry. If you haven't tried to get a job or do something for society, and are just using the dole as an excuse to do very little, then you are the sponger. I wouldn't get offended at all. There are plenty of opportunities for photographers. Local newspapers, tabloids, freelance, food, retail and leisure photograph, the list goes on. Though the food photography aspect could be dodgy, unless you plan on photographing Kebabs for a living lol. Which I know you wouldn't want to do. I'm sure there'll be plenty of options for you outside of education.
Uncreative days suck.
I know it just frustrates me so much. Exactly i told her that there is so much you can do photography wise but she was having none of it. It's frustrating but it's no skin off my nose. At least I am actually doing something with my life. Some people tend to think that creative courses and jobs are beneath other careers and thats the thing that frustrates me. Not everyone is creative just like not everyone is made to do other jobs so people shouldn't look down on people for their career choice. If you're a painter and you love it then do it.. if you work in a shop and you love it then do it as long as you're doing something and not just grab grab grab from the government. LOL some lovely kebab shots.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

JTIS...

That Ive been thinking about going back to school...but for Business..like if I want to own my own business(preferably a hair salon) I gotta know how to do it and be able to mange money well and stuff....but then I remember that I dont like school....and then I'm confussed LOL

I could get my degree online....so I wouldnt actually have to go into school lmao

~Love, Caitlin~
Old 10-13-2011, 06:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enchanted_Stevi View Post
I could get my degree online....so I wouldnt actually have to go into school lmao
I wouldn't do that if I were you. I have several friends in the Human Resources field, others who are hiring managers, etc & they all universally have a chip on their shoulder about University of Phoenix & other online schools. If you're going to sink the time & money into education, go to a physical school. If you want to cut down on costs to get a bachelor's degree for instance, knock out your prerequisite courses at a local community college (usually takes 2 years), then transfer to a state-owned university for your junior & senior years.

Also, keep trying to get a salon job. Keep in mind you have to put your time in the trenches to get an actual job you WANT. So try getting your foot in the door at a place such as Supercuts, even if it's just part time or whatever they may offer. The old adage is unfortunately true... you have to have a job to get a job.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
I wouldn't do that if I were you. I have several friends in the Human Resources field, others who are hiring managers, etc & they all universally have a chip on their shoulder about University of Phoenix & other online schools. If you're going to sink the time & money into education, go to a physical school. If you want to cut down on costs to get a bachelor's degree for instance, knock out your prerequisite courses at a local community college (usually takes 2 years), then transfer to a state-owned university for your junior & senior years.

Also, keep trying to get a salon job. Keep in mind you have to put your time in the trenches to get an actual job you WANT. So try getting your foot in the door at a place such as Supercuts, even if it's just part time or whatever they may offer. The old adage is unfortunately true... you have to have a job to get a job.
Well I'd be going to my community college(2 years)...and a lot of the business courses can be taken online and I already have a ton of pre-recs done from going to that same comm. college before...I really dont want to STAY at a school lmao not my cup of tea. When I was going to school Financial Aid paid for everything including my books

~Love, Caitlin~
Old 10-14-2011, 04:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
JTIS, I was talking to a co-worker yesterday that I hadn't seen for a few weeks. He appeared to have lost a little bit of weight, and I kind of complimented him on it and gave him a little encouragement; he was previously a bit stocky around the middle. Well, as it turned out, the weight loss was not intentional; it was a side effect of chemotherapy for Stage II cancer.

Kill. me. now. Please.
It's a chilly, cloudy day here in New York, which made me feel especially saddened when I just learned that the above-individual has just been entered into hospice care. I'm actually a bit devastated, even. The last time I spoke with him, a month ago, after a nasty round of lay-offs, he asked me if I could be his new "chat buddy," after his then-chat buddy got laid off. I assured him that I would be there for him, especially knowing what he was going through. Apparently his last scan "lit up like a Christmas tree," and there was pretty much nothing anyone could do about it. I was hoping for a miracle... and we carried on, even as he worked from home due to weakness, but it seems that things took a drastic turn for the worse quite suddenly. It just seems to me that it's such a f***ing waste that such a brilliant human- a medical doctor, a classical musician, a horticulturist - should meet his end so prematurely and painfully. I kind of hate the world at the moment. Really.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It's a chilly, cloudy day here in New York, which made me feel especially saddened when I just learned that the above-individual has just been entered into hospice care. I'm actually a bit devastated, even. The last time I spoke with him, a month ago, after a nasty round of lay-offs, he asked me if I could be his new "chat buddy," after his then-chat buddy got laid off. I assured him that I would be there for him, especially knowing what he was going through. Apparently his last scan "lit up like a Christmas tree," and there was pretty much nothing anyone could do about it. I was hoping for a miracle... and we carried on, even as he worked from home due to weakness, but it seems that things took a drastic turn for the worse quite suddenly. It just seems to me that it's such a f***ing waste that such a brilliant human- a medical doctor, a classical musician, a horticulturist - should meet his end so prematurely and painfully. I kind of hate the world at the moment. Really.
Oh, God, Ed. I'm so sorry. That's horrific.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Oh Ed, I am really sorry. Please let me know if you ever want to talk.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
i'm sorry to hear this~
Old 10-14-2011, 11:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

HejiraNYC,
Sorry to hear about your co-worker.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Question why

stevie has a vast collection of published work to select from, yet we hear the standards performed show after show. now that she is getting on in years, she may want to start sharpening her skills before long nets of white cloud her memory. she could pull off a few of her killer songs. she doesnt seem to even try.lazy.
Old 10-15-2011, 09:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I got my nose pierced today, on a whim, and boy does it feel weird. Within the space of five minutes after deciding I might have it done, I'd had it done. There's no sense beating around the bush with these things, or nothing will ever get done. The inside of the piercing is a long spike which I can feel tickling my septum. I know I'll get used to it, but it's going to take some time lol. As soon as I'm able to, I'll see about changing the stud for a ring. Much more comfortable, and I'm sure it'll look better too.
Old 10-15-2011, 09:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm burning the Nag Champa in the hope that it'll get some Stevie-esque creative juices flowing for my art project.

~Love is my higher power. Family is my strength. Art is my passion - Kat Von D
Old 10-15-2011, 09:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by beccamorrisfift View Post
I'm burning the Nag Champa in the hope that it'll get some Stevie-esque creative juices flowing for my art project.
I tend to burn Nag Champa more when I want to unwind a little and get away from my little workaholic self. I find Sandalwood helps put me into a more meditative and more focused state. But different strokes for different folks
Old 10-15-2011, 09:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Springs View Post
I tend to burn Nag Champa more when I want to unwind a little and get away from my little workaholic self. I find Sandalwood helps put me into a more meditative and more focused state. But different strokes for different folks
That's why I'm burning it, to unwind so I can focus, if that makes sense. It's been a pretty hectic week and I need to chill so I can get some stuff done.
I've never tried Sandalwood for focusing, I usually just have Dragon's blood, lavender and Nag Champa, but I will get some next time I'm out, thanks for the tip

~Love is my higher power. Family is my strength. Art is my passion - Kat Von D
Old 10-15-2011, 11:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Ahh i'm working on my fashion project book and i'm getting so into it. I've almost filled a book just of research, ideas, plans, and some test shoots we did using different lighting to make different coloured backgrounds by using gel filters. I still have heaps to do though and it's not in untill feb. I dread to think how many books i will have because I have so many ideas and shoots I want to do.

Having lot's of fun planning a Stevie inspired shoot too. If anyone has any awesome images that showcase Stevie's style send them this way. Taaar (: