Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-22-2016, 07:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[From an interview with Alison Albrecht]

The Examiner, February 21, 2016

http://www.examiner.com/article/mich...yond-her-years

If you could have your choice of singing a duet with anyone, who would it be and why?

This is very difficult, there are lots of people I would love to sing with. But if I could pick anyone in the world, it would be Stevie Nicks. Her voice is so strong and soulful, and her stage presence is incredible. Performing with her would be so high energy. I can only dream what that experience would be like.

But if I could pick one person to write songs with, it would be Tyler Joseph from the band Twenty One Pilots. He writes with such passion and courage. I would love to just talk to him for hours about life.
Old 02-23-2016, 03:17 PM

1981’s Best Rock Albums
By Nick DeRiso

16: Stevie Nicks, 'Bella Donna'
Stevie Nicks began a tandem solo career that played to her MOR strengths with this debut project. The songs, including "Edge of Seventeen" and duets with Don Henley and Tom Petty, were largely straightforward and pop friendly, without the quirky mannerisms that often surrounded her work with Fleetwood Mac. Not surprisingly, it sold millions.

Read More: 1981's Best Rock Albums | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/1981-...ckback=tsmclip
Old 02-23-2016, 04:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Although this is ranked #16 on the year-end list of 1981, Bella Donna is nearly always within the top 10, usually within the top 5 of all the other lists. However, the album was extremely popular in 1982 also so maybe that's why.
Old 02-23-2016, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James89 View Post
Although this is ranked #16 on the year-end list of 1981, Bella Donna is nearly always within the top 10, usually within the top 5 of all the other lists. However, the album was extremely popular in 1982 also so maybe that's why.
16/40 isn't bad at all.
But yes, it depends on the author, on the same site another journalist put it 2nd.
Old 02-24-2016, 12:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

[From a Rolling Stone piece on Kip Moore]

By Jon Freeman February 23, 2016 Rolling Stone

"I was always drawn to powerful voices that made me feel something," he tells Rolling Stone Country. "People that had grit and tone in their voice. I've never been a fan of a really pretty singer. Even pretty female voices. I've always been more drawn to people like Stevie Nicks who had grit and heartache in there."

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...#ixzz413jsqCZe
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook
Old 02-24-2016, 12:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

[From a Rolling Stone article about Joe Taffer]

'Bar Rescue' Star Jon Taffer Shares True Tales of Punk and Disco
Reality TV star's days with Stevie Nicks, Harry Nilsson and the Dead Kennedys

By Cory Sklar February 23, 2016 Rolling Stone

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...#ixzz413kNJuDj

Stevie Nicks

When I took over the Troubadour the kitchen was flooded and the club was too broke to fix it. It was so bad that we took these pallets and we placed them on the kitchen floor so we could walk above the water. [Laughs.] So we coordinated this big 25th anniversary event and we got everybody to come back from the old days. George Carlin came, Linda Ronstadt and Jackson Browne. We made a huge amount of money that month and were able to fix the plumbing. I remember Stevie Nicks had an incident that night when she wasn't on the guest list and was unable to get into the door. That was very memorable.
Old 02-24-2016, 02:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
[From a Rolling Stone article about Joe Taffer]

'Bar Rescue' Star Jon Taffer Shares True Tales of Punk and Disco
Reality TV star's days with Stevie Nicks, Harry Nilsson and the Dead Kennedys

By Cory Sklar February 23, 2016 Rolling Stone

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...#ixzz413kNJuDj

Stevie Nicks

When I took over the Troubadour the kitchen was flooded and the club was too broke to fix it. It was so bad that we took these pallets and we placed them on the kitchen floor so we could walk above the water. [Laughs.] So we coordinated this big 25th anniversary event and we got everybody to come back from the old days. George Carlin came, Linda Ronstadt and Jackson Browne. We made a huge amount of money that month and were able to fix the plumbing. I remember Stevie Nicks had an incident that night when she wasn't on the guest list and was unable to get into the door. That was very memorable.
sounds like Mama wasn't too happy and likely let her unhappiness be known....after all, "I am Stevie Nicks!"
Old 02-24-2016, 06:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
sounds like Mama wasn't too happy and likely let her unhappiness be known....after all, "I am Stevie Nicks!"
They said that after the Grammy's Paul McCartney was denied entrance to a Tyga party twice. I don't know why he'd even want to get in, actually.

Michele
Old 02-25-2016, 10:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
They said that after the Grammy's Paul McCartney was denied entrance to a Tyga party twice. I don't know why he'd even want to get in, actually.
It is true. There is even a video of it.
Old 02-27-2016, 06:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Waddy in the spotlight

Feature about Waddy doing his own solo gigs in the LA Times:
http://www.latimes.com/socal/glendal...226-story.html

Waddy is 69 years old. If Stevie is hoping to do much more solo touring, the stalwarts in her solo band aren't getting any younger than her bandmates in Fleetwood Mac.

I love the typo that he worked on Stevie and Lindsey's album in 1980 and they've been together ever since. That's Stevie Knicks, for those who didn't know.

He says he's recently worked with Sheryl Crow and is about to work with LeAnn Rimes... no mention of any Stevie solo work.....

Also, Brett and Al will be playing with him at his solo gigs.... taking a break from all those Mac tunes.

Enjoy!

Music Review: Rock 'n' roll stalwart Waddy Wachtel takes center stage

Guitarist Waddy Wachtel has been a soloist for the likes of Stevie Nicks and Keith Richards. He brings his jam session residency to the Pickwick Bowl in Burbank on Saturday, March 5. (Photo by Steve Appleford)
Jonny Whiteside

The rock star is perhaps the most alluring figure in our pop culture. A strutting embodiment of passionate emotion, each is nonetheless completely reliant on a critical sidekick, the musical soloist upon whom they rely to elevate and complete every song. Few fulfill the role with as much sustained mastery as Waddy Wachtel, the guitarist at the center of so many major rock 'n' roll constellations — with Rolling Stone Keith Richards, Fleetwood Mac's Stevie Knicks, Linda Ronstadt, James Taylor, the late Warren Zevon — that he ranks as a sideman without peer.

Wachtel, who appears Saturday, March 5, at Pickwick Gardens, has been featured on so many hit records that he makes it seem almost effortless, but it's a responsibility he takes very seriously.

"It is quite a feat to write a great song and it is quite a feat to make a great record of it," Wachtel said. "For me it's all about counterpoint, providing something to catch your ear within this song, between where the great singing leaves off. So, my thing is honoring songs. It's always all about the song."

The 69-year-old musician's vast list of credits spans rock, pop and country, and he is constantly expanding it, working regularly as one of the most in-demand studio players in the business.

There's no retiring in this business, you just keep going ... If you can still play, you play. I'm too old to be doing this, but I still do it. Ferociously.

"I am still definitely playing sessions all the time," he said. "I just did a great rock 'n' roll tune with Sheryl Crow. Next week I'm recording with LeAnn Rimes. There's always lots to do. The sessions are very important."

The Wachtel saga is a colorful and apparently fated one, which he recounts in a swift, loping style. "I grew up in Jackson Heights, New York, started playing guitar when I was about nine, moved to L.A. at 20 in '68," Wachtel said. "I came out here with a band, and, right off, I met David Crosby, who let me know that I 'was the only guy in the band.' I said 'Oh no, don't tell me that.' The band was pretty good, great singers, but it was going nowhere, mostly due to lousy management. So I disbanded it and by 1970 I had my first gig, with the Everly Brothers.

"I started meeting all these session players and I thought 'Hey, I'm as good as these guys.' Well, not all of them, because some of these session guys were just amazing musicians, but I thought 'I can do that.' And I met Nick Venet, who had produced the first albums by the Beach Boys and Linda Ronstadt and he liked me a lot, so I started getting more studio jobs. Then I met [famed producer] David Foster, and he also liked what I was doing and he introduced me to [manager-record executive] Lou Adler, and we were just working like crazy from then on."

"I have been very lucky. It's been an incredible ride, Los Angeles was just such an open, creative place then, it was an amazing time to be here. I was playing with Linda Ronstadt and then James Taylor, I met Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham, played on their album around 1980 and we've been together ever since. And that's when I met Keith Richards, and we immediately hit it off. The next thing I know I get this message: 'Call Keith. He's looking for you,' and so I get him on the phone and he said 'I'm putting a band together and you are in it.' Well, what can you say but 'OK!' And that was the X-pensive Winos."

Always more often in the studio than out on the road, Wachtel eventually developed an enduringly popular club gig, his famed Big Monday at Los Angeles club the Joint. "About 15 ago, [singer-songwriter] Jack Tempchin decided he wanted to start playing live, so we put together a band, Terry Reid was in it, Bernard Fowler, Blondie Chaplin, Rick Rosas and we were playing every week, and we found that whenever we did a rock tune the audience reaction was incredible. They went wild. So we gradually stopped playing so many originals and we turned into the best rock cover band in the world. We were there for years, and so many great guests would come in. We had everybody: Robert Plant, Keith Richards, Bobby Womack, Neil Young — he got up one night and did 45 minutes with us."

The club eventually closed and Big Mondays evaporated, but now Wachtel intends resurrect the night.

"So now, at Pickwick, we want to keep it going, and whenever everybody's in town, they will come down and we'll do it," Wachtel said. "Unfortunately, Rick is no longer with us, and Bernard is out with the Stones but Blondie Chaplin will be at this Pickwick show. It's an amazing lineup of great musicians: Phil Jones, Jamie Savko, Keith Allison, Brett Tuggle, Al Ortiz, Danny Kortchmar. It's always an overpoweringly rock 'n' roll event — we do 'em strong and true. It's a lot of fun and a lot of work. People always say 'Oh, you do such great jams' and I tell 'em this is no jam. We work very hard to sound this loose!"

"There's no retiring in this business, you just keep going. I mean, the Stones all thought that band would only last four or five years. Nobody thought rock 'n' roll would last. If you can still play, you play. I'm too old to be doing this, but I still do it. Ferociously."

--

What: Waddy Wachtel Band

Where: Pickwick Gardens' Pavilion Room, 1001 W. Riverside Dr., Burbank

When: Saturday, March 5, 7:30 to 11:30 p.m.

Cost: $17 to $28.

More info: (818) 845-5300, waddywachtelinfo.com/WaddyWachtelBand.html

--

Last edited by bombaysaffires; 02-27-2016 at 06:51 PM..
Old 02-28-2016, 04:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It's interesting that he says "this is no jam. We work very hard to sound this loose." Well, that's great, but what's wrong with an unimprovised jam now and then?

I did not realize Waddy's age. I would have guessed he was 5 years younger.

That reminds me of yesterday when they said Yoko Ono was in the hospital, I couldn't believe she was 83. I had forgotten that she was older than Lennon.

Michele
Old 03-06-2016, 10:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[From a piece on Nancy Reagan]

The Arizona Republic

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/...agan/81411040/

A cub reporter from Mesa's brush with Nancy Reagan
John D'Anna, The Republic | azcentral.com 4:24 p.m. MST March 6, 2016

Nancy Reagan was my first big “get” in journalism. I’d interviewed Stevie Nicks, briefly, for my college paper at an American Heart Association event she was headlining on behalf of her father, but she was pretty dismissive and wasn’t much interested in being there, much less talking to a student.

My brush with the first lady was at a similar kind of event, in Mesa in the summer of 1983. I was the weekend reporter and was assigned to cover a Marc Center dinner at the Dobson Ranch Inn, where Reagan was to be the keynote speaker and accept an award on behalf of her mother.
Old 03-08-2016, 12:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

this isn't directly about Stevie herself but Torrey DeVitto is one of her god-daughters (and daughter of Mary Torrey). She's apparently a model? and is in a PETA campaign.

http://www.peta.org/features/torrey-...m_medium=Promo
Old 03-11-2016, 09:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

From an interview with Terry Manning:

"When I was in junior high school, the girl in front of me in homeroom was really, really cute. I mean I really had a crush on her. Probably my first real crush. But I didn’t know how to deal with girls, and to be honest still don’t. So I’d poke at her, or pull her pigtail if she had one, or whatever. Just stuff. You know, thinking maybe she’ll notice me. One day she’d had enough. Couldn’t stand any more of me being a pestering little idiot, I guess. So she leaned around, took her pencil and jammed it right into my leg. Right into my right knee. And a piece of lead that broke off in there. I still see it every day, right under the skin.... Now here’s the thing. The girl got in a band later too and changed her name from Stephanie to Stevie Nicks"

Later he worked with her on Rick Vito's solo album, but he didn't talk to her about it. There's a little more to the story. Definitely worth a read:

http://www.memphisflyer.com/MusicBlo...y-stevie-nicks
Old 03-11-2016, 11:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInNV View Post
From an interview with Terry Manning:
Oh, wow. A great story and one we haven't seen before. He should take pictures of his leg!

And then she ended up being his first date? Michele