User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-11-2023, 03:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin Emeritus View Post
Nothing else that i heard. But some people have asked about this other question and I was waiting to make any comment. But now that the band has had their memorial/tribute for chris, i'm sure all of their associates/ guests that attended are aware of this info at this point. A former associate actually told me last night about this , so at this point, I don't think it is really any secret. So this all I will say...

I keep seeing on various websites 'why doesn't John make a statement??' etc etc'...and it kind of upsets me.

John and Chris had a lifelong love and friendship, although their close relationship was always overshadowed by those other two. But John flew to London to be with Chris. Dragged himself back afterward in time to attend that nightmare day of the juliens auction. He doesn't need to say anything, to anyone.

As i have always said, they adored each other. And he was with her.

That is his statement.

---Lis
Really appreciate you sharing this, Lis. It’s very comforting to know that John was there with her.
Old 01-11-2023, 04:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
then again, imagine a reaction from either Stevie or Lindsey if one of them wrote a song about the new lover right after their breakup making loving so much [more] fun

Chris had the advantage of John not writing the lyrics of any songs. so 2 of them just didn't talk for years, to get closure - while the Californians yelled and screamed at each other like little kids.
I don't think they never really had a time when they didn't talk for years. It was maybe some awfully rough months of silence during Rumours, and then they managed to figure out how to kind of move forward. Chris always said it was because they 'did it in a lot more humorous way' than stevie/lindsey.

I also think a big part of it was that they were such good *friends*!!! i don't think stevie and lindsey were ever friends in the same way.

just recently read an article from February 1978 where Chris admitted they had just gotten divorced, in February, because John/Julie had set a wedding date for April, and they had to get it done.

But she also said they had told everyone/the press that they were divorced in 1976! and apparently that was all just bull**** lol, they were still married for all that time.

maybe that explains Chris's wandering wedding ring, which was switched between her left and right hand A LOT in those days.

--Lis
Old 01-11-2023, 04:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlie View Post
Really appreciate you sharing this, Lis. It’s very comforting to know that John was there with her.
it is, isn't it? I cried my eyes out, even though i wasn't surprised.

--Lis
Old 01-11-2023, 04:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
then again, imagine a reaction from either Stevie or Lindsey if one of them wrote a song about the new lover right after their breakup making loving so much [more] fun
And, it was probably the second such song she’d written during their marriage. The first was “Just Crazy Love” which I think was about her alleged affair with Martin Birch. Even has the similar “You know you'll always be the only one” line. It’s such an upbeat song from the time she was writing material like “Remember Me,” “Dissatisfied,” “Did You Ever Love Me,” “Believe Me,” and “Why” that I don’t think it was about John.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-11-2023, 04:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Honestly!!! When they were done, they were done.
As a couple, but I also think they were able to contextualize their relationship. The whole “we spent more time together than couples who been married for thirty years or more.” They were divorced, but they didn’t stop thinking of each other as family. Christine wrote a song about his boat The Challenge and named her tour bus after it. When he did his solo project, she lent him her keyboards. When Molly was born, John made Christine her godmother. It’s so fitting that the one wedding vow that kept was “til death do us part.”

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-11-2023, 05:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
i'm really glad, too. Like chris had said in a couple of her last interviews, he is a really good man. There was no way he would not have been there for her.

--Lis
Yes, he really is. He must be heartbroken. I'm thinking about him all the time. Her passing was such a shock to us, let alone for him (and Mick, Lindsey and Steve too of course). I still can't believe she's gone

You got a sweet heart
Never will you be replaced
Old 01-11-2023, 05:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
As a couple, but I also think they were able to contextualize their relationship. The whole “we spent more time together than couples who been married for thirty years or more.” They were divorced, but they didn’t stop thinking of each other as family. Christine wrote a song about his boat The Challenge and named her tour bus after it. When he did his solo project, she lent him her keyboards. When Molly was born, John made Christine her godmother. It’s so fitting that the one wedding vow that kept was “til death do us part.”
that's beautiful. and true. 'in sickness and in health' would be another one. anyone else recall how mick was the one that had to tell chris about John's cancer diagnosis ? Or how often chris mentioned john's health after his cancer treatment? she brought it up in several interviews, how he was 'healing really nicely now' and he was 'dancing around like mickey mouse' when his 6 month check up or something came back clear.

btw john went to switzerland to visit chris when she did her solo album. he visited his parents in London and then conveniently popped over to see chris for awhile. i believe George Hawkins actually told me John even brought his dad and stepmom to see chris also lol, which is very cute...then sent them home after a few days.

In the late 70's/early 80's they hung out together *quite* a lot. i was told by someone who worked with them around Tusk time 'you could not work with Christine in any capacity without John being part of the proceedings.' i always loved that quote.

Also I adore those Chris photo shoots that john crashed .... the one in 82 where he's looking for her ring, and the one in 87, where they're wearing the awful matching green jackets.

John wore his 'penguin ring' from Chris every day for 17 years, when it suddenly disappeared. probably alcohol related, i'm guessing it got lost. But in any photo from 1976 about 1993, he was always wearing 2 rings....the wedding ring to Julie on his left hand, big gold penguin ring from chris on his right hand.

(If this had been lindsey/stevie, there probably would have been entire websites devoted to this fact alone....)

I have a tons of old audiotape interviews with chris where she gushed on and on about how wonderful her relationship was with John. i wish i knew how to upload them to youtube or something. she said she considered herself 'the one that had the luxury, of being able to rediscover the friendship in the man you were married to.'

i could go on and on.

--Lis

Last edited by Penguin Emeritus; 01-11-2023 at 05:19 PM..
Old 01-11-2023, 05:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Nothing else that i heard. But some people have asked about this other question and I was waiting to make any comment. But now that the band has had their memorial/tribute for chris, i'm sure all of their associates/ guests that attended are aware of this info at this point. A former associate actually told me last night about this , so at this point, I don't think it is really any secret. So this all I will say...

I keep seeing on various websites 'why doesn't John make a statement??' etc etc'...and it kind of upsets me.

John and Chris had a lifelong love and friendship, although their close relationship was always overshadowed by those other two. But John flew to London to be with Chris. Dragged himself back afterward in time to attend that nightmare day of the juliens auction. He doesn't need to say anything, to anyone.

As i have always said, they adored each other. And he was with her.

That is his statement.

---Lis
No one has to make a public statement about anything to prove their feelings to the world. I’m sorry that social media has given everyone this expectation. I find it rather monstrous.
Old 01-11-2023, 06:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
No one has to make a public statement about anything to prove their feelings to the world. I’m sorry that social media has given everyone this expectation. I find it rather monstrous.
I agree nobody, especially John, has to make a public statement, but this is Fleetwood Mac we’re talking about. Social media? Fleetwood Mac made a career of being very public about their lives long before the internet. “Man of the World,” “Showbiz Blues,” “Child of Mine,” “Dissatisfied,” “Bad Loser,” “Go Your Own Way, “Dreams,” “All Over Again,” and “Sweet Girl” stick out. It’s part of the band’s brand.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-11-2023, 06:12 PM

Quote:
that's beautiful. and true. 'in sickness and in health' would be another one. anyone else recall how mick was the one that had to tell chris about John's cancer diagnosis ? Or how often chris mentioned john's health after his cancer treatment? she brought it up in several interviews, how he was 'healing really nicely now' and he was 'dancing around like mickey mouse' when his 6 month check up or something came back clear.

btw john went to switzerland to visit chris when she did her solo album. he visited his parents in London and then conveniently popped over to see chris for awhile. i believe George Hawkins actually told me John even brought his dad and stepmom to see chris also lol, which is very cute...then sent them home after a few days.

In the late 70's/early 80's they hung out together *quite* a lot. i was told by someone who worked with them around Tusk time 'you could not work with Christine in any capacity without John being part of the proceedings.' i always loved that quote.

Also I adore those Chris photo shoots that john crashed .... the one in 82 where he's looking for her ring, and the one in 87, where they're wearing the awful matching green jackets.

John wore his 'penguin ring' from Chris every day for 17 years, when it suddenly disappeared. probably alcohol related, i'm guessing it got lost. But in any photo from 1976 about 1993, he was always wearing 2 rings....the wedding ring to Julie on his left hand, big gold penguin ring from chris on his right hand.

(If this had been lindsey/stevie, there probably would have been entire websites devoted to this fact alone....)

I have a tons of old audiotape interviews with chris where she gushed on and on about how wonderful her relationship was with John. i wish i knew how to upload them to youtube or something. she said she considered herself 'the one that had the luxury, of being able to rediscover the friendship in the man you were married to.'

i could go on and on.

--Lis
Lis, thank you so much for sharing this. It's helping me cope knowing he did all that.
Old 01-11-2023, 07:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
I agree nobody, especially John, has to make a public statement, but this is Fleetwood Mac we’re talking about. Social media? Fleetwood Mac made a career of being very public about their lives long before the internet. “Man of the World,” “Showbiz Blues,” “Child of Mine,” “Dissatisfied,” “Bad Loser,” “Go Your Own Way, “Dreams,” “All Over Again,” and “Sweet Girl” stick out. It’s part of the band’s brand.
Talking about their interpersonal relationships may be a thing with them, but why in the world would you need to make a statement saying you're sad someone died you've known for 50 years died. The closer you are to someone I think the world should expect you to say the LEAST. Why can't people grieve in peace?

I remember when John Lennon was shot, I kept waiting for Paul McCartney's statement. But I was a schoolgirl then. That's the way I thought. I thought a press release was necessary to validate pain. I don't think that way any more and I really wonder at these people who write things like, "You didn't even congratulate Suzie about the baby." Well, Suzie is my sister. I was at the hospital when she delivered the baby. I really didn't see the need to congratulate her on Tik Tok. Human beings who are strangers to us actually communicate with each other outside of social media.

It meant nothing to me that the band make public statements about Lindsey's heart surgery when they didn't take the time to call him personally. I'd like to take their public statements and smack them with the paper they're written on.
Old 01-11-2023, 07:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Lis, thank you so much for sharing this. It's helping me cope knowing he did all that.
I'm glad it's helping you cope. This is why I came back to the ledge...because honestly her passing hit me very hard. i was surprised at how hard. and i needed to be here with people who get it, to help ME cope.

--Lis
Old 01-11-2023, 08:30 PM
Senior Ledgie

Lis — thanks for sharing that insight into John and Chris’ friendship over the years. I feel like we knew in our hearts that John was a true friend to Chris, without the self promotion and fanfare that some other members of the band engaged in. But I’m glad that he got to be there with her and her family and that it’s not been part of the public discourse.

I’m glad that the other three were able to attend this event in peace.
Old 01-11-2023, 09:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'm glad it's helping you cope. This is why I came back to the ledge...because honestly her passing hit me very hard. i was surprised at how hard. and i needed to be here with people who get it, to help ME cope.

--Lis
Here with you Lis, in our little ledge house
Old 01-11-2023, 09:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougl View Post
Here with you Lis, in our little ledge house
Thanks! It's funny, even Marty said the other day he still feels sad about chris...that he heard her music in some store and is starting to notice it more places. we've been divorced for like 15 or so years but i think all those years living with me and my insanity, john and chris got under his skin.

i know he's been trying to get some stuff back up and running in the discography section, too.

my 26 yr old daughter is like 'omg, you and dad are both being sucked back into all this fleetwood mac stuff!'

--Lis